The Student Room Group

Additional maths gcse

Does the additional maths qualification at gcse help massively at as/alevel? Is it worth the effort for an extra qualification?
Original post by jemmstudz
Does the additional maths qualification at gcse help massively at as/alevel? Is it worth the effort for an extra qualification?

additional maths isn't a GCSE - you don't actually get a GCSE in it as it's a higher, standalone qualification. It does help with certian topics like factor theorem, integration, differentiation and binomial expansion and logarithms but you can pick them up easily at AS if you're capable of getting an A in admaths.
Hey I’m doing it this year with OCR, afaik, it goes over the first few topics at a level. So in addition to an extra qualification (FSMQ), you have a slight head start in a level.
The people in my A level class who did it found AS pure maths really easy. It didn’t help much after that though (in maths or further maths). I would imagine it will help you get a better grade in GCSE maths because you will have a better understanding.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jemmstudz

It helps a lot for 1st year a level maths, but the qualification itself is pretty useless and it does not prepare you for 2nd year a level maths.
Original post by sam72016
It helps a lot for 1st year a level maths, but the qualification itself is pretty useless and it does not prepare you for 2nd year a level maths.

Its not useless, you can talk about it in your personal statement if you like!
Original post by Rolo1234
Its not useless, you can talk about it in your personal statement if you like!

He asked if it's worth the effort for an extra qualification, and universities will not use additional maths as a differentiating factor between 2 identical applicants if one of them done additional maths at gcse. I guess it depends on the course you choose to do
Original post by sam72016
He asked if it's worth the effort for an extra qualification, and universities will not use additional maths as a differentiating factor between 2 identical applicants if one of them done additional maths at gcse. I guess it depends on the course you choose to do

True, but GCSEs are not that big of a factor for unis, maybe for top ones like oxbridge, Warwick etc. but not for RG. Nearly all applicants get a place if you meet entry requirements for RG unis in terms of A-level but maybe not for medicine. OP, if you want an easy start for A-level maths then go for and it also can be good to express your passion for maths at such a young age in your personal statement if you would like to a maths related degree:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest