The Student Room Group

Should the legal working age be lowered?

Poll

Should the legal working age be lowered?

Share your thoughts guys!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1st superstar
Share your thoughts guys!!

No of course it shouldn't. Do you really want a return to the Dickensian images of urchins slaving away in a cotton factory.

Lower working age would just encourage kids to drop out of school and Lord knows they Ned to get an education
Original post by squeakysquirrel
No of course it shouldn't. Do you really want a return to the Dickensian images of urchins slaving away in a cotton factory.

Lower working age would just encourage kids to drop out of school and Lord knows they Ned to get an education

No I am not ecouraging slavery but if someone wants to have a job surely they should be allowed to... Heard of British child actors? There's a reason why nearly all of them move to America where they can actually work...

and I would make having a full time job illegal until you have left Sixth form...
No I am not ecouraging slavery but if someone wants to have a job surely they should be allowed to... Heard of British child actors? There's a reason why nearly all of them move to America where they can actually work...

A lot of them end up dead or in rehab. I think children need to be children.
Do you mean legal working age to work full time(which is 16 with some limits)? Because my brother is 13 and works part time but the employer had to get some permit thing cos of insurance reasons.

Heard of British child actors? There's a reason why nearly all of them move to America where they can actually work...

Britsh child actors definitely exist and are perfectly legal...
https://www.gov.uk/child-employment
I think the law is fine as it is.
No.
Sometimes a person's business livelihood is dependent on its employees, I doubt people are going to be willing to risk that for the sake of a 14 year old that most likely has a lot of maturing to do.

Children should be allowed to be children - most child actors cease to be actors once they grow past that cutesy stage. And they are left with poorer education. Anyway I wouldn't hold America up as this icon of righteousness - especially given the news of the latest shooting
Yes, send the children back into the chimneys!!!
it depends on the job if the child wants to or is forced. I am 15 and do 7hrs a week at a chippy which I enjoy doing.
Original post by MidgetFever
No.
Sometimes a person's business livelihood is dependent on its employees, I doubt people are going to be willing to risk that for the sake of a 14 year old that most likely has a lot of maturing to do.

But, tbf, they wouldn't be under any obligation to employ said 14 year old just because full time working age has been lowered. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.
Original post by Lilyeve1
it depends on the job if the child wants to or is forced. I am 15 and do 7hrs a week at a chippy which I enjoy doing.

nah the child wouldn't be forced they would just do it because that's what they want to do
Original post by Obolinda
But, tbf, they wouldn't be under any obligation to employ said 14 year old just because full time working age has been lowered. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.

exactly no one is forcing them to do it, just because there is an offer on the table doesn't meant you have take it or use it
They're better off being in full time education until they're 16. Then they can work.

Ignoring the obvious issues of simply not knowing things if they go to work earlier, there's a lot of social development they have to do before they could be in a workplace full of adults.
Children should be allowed to be children

yet they are forced to do 20-40 exams in the space of a month (even though they are not an adult), having constant anxiety, hour upon hours of work to do after school along with a crappy education system and having to make big decisions when their brain isn't damn developed... sure "let them be children"...
nah the child wouldn't be forced they would just do it because that's what they want to do

That doesn't sound like it would work out too well, it feels like the same logic as 'we should lower the age of consent because children can just say no'
Original post by Obolinda

and I am only asking if it should be lowered for part time (full time in my opinion should be when you leave school)
having to make big decisions when their brain isn't damn developed...

That rather negates your argument that says they should be able to say they decide to cease education entirely.
No of course not

Quick Reply

Latest