The Student Room Group

Superhuman98 - Getting Big and Strong

Last blog kinda turned into a mess. Decided I want to start off fresh and not have a blog where I change programme every few weeks and also no random venting about stuff that doesn't matter.

Starting a new programme tomorrow 4 days a week. I might be doing a practice meet on Dec 1 so if I am then the next 2 weeks ill be doing prep then the programme.

Going to stick with this programme for up to a year hopefully.

Starting weight - 68.4kg at 5'8

maxes - as of 14/11/19
Squat 100kg for 4
Sumo Deadlift 135kg for 3
Bench 85kg for 2
OHP - 40kg for 5

Goals:
1.) Add muscle to my frame
2.) Have my clothes fit better
3.) Keep getting stronger
4.) Cut down over summer
5.) Keep getting more confident irl

@illusionz @Gone Revising II @TajwarC @Laurence863 @Angry cucumber @Angry Bird @Greywolftwo @YouCantSeeMe

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like a good idea.

What's the plan? Try and stick to it for 2 to 3 months before assessing whether it works.

Good luck.
Original post by illusionz
Sounds like a good idea.

What's the plan? Try and stick to it for 2 to 3 months before assessing whether it works.

Good luck.

Someone’s written up a GZCL cycle for my needs and said I should be good to even run that style for up to a year. I believe progression is every 4 weeks and eventually I can move to 3 weeks. I’m going to be doing 4 days a week.
I’m now going to the gym 4 times a week and I’m seeing fast improvements
Original post by SuperHuman98
Someone’s written up a GZCL cycle for my needs and said I should be good to even run that style for up to a year. I believe progression is every 4 weeks and eventually I can move to 3 weeks. I’m going to be doing 4 days a week.

I'm a big fan of gzcl. It should be good for you because you get a lot of good quality and heavy work in, but also shouldn't be failing reps. A balance I think you've struggled with on some routines. Remember your TM should be a 2rm you can hit any day of the week, not a PB from a day you were super strong.

You can tinker with accessory work too and pick things you enjoy. More importantly, you should choose T2 and T3 work to fix YOUR weakpoints, so don't just follow something someone else wrote.

For example, if your bench fail point is just off the chest then do paused bench or Spoto press T2. If you fail at lockout do CGBP T2.

What's the set up of each day?

Gzcl took my bench from 105x2 to 105x5 in 5 weeks. And OHP 67.5 for 2-3 at 72.5 1rm to 67.5 x 4 and 75 1rm. I didn't gain any weight.

I had success doing lots of DB compounds, chins and dips as T2 and T3, but that was partly fitting in the volume I wanted in the time I had. I think Cody recommends you do more isolation work as T3 rather than compounds. If advise you not to start too heavy, then make it more intense after you've found your feet.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm a big fan of gzcl. It should be good for you because you get a lot of good quality and heavy work in, but also shouldn't be failing reps. A balance I think you've struggled with on some routines. Remember your TM should be a 2rm you can hit any day of the week, not a PB from a day you were super strong.

You can tinker with accessory work too and pick things you enjoy. More importantly, you should choose T2 and T3 work to fix YOUR weakpoints, so don't just follow something someone else wrote.

For example, if your bench fail point is just off the chest then do paused bench or Spoto press T2. If you fail at lockout do CGBP T2.

What's the set up of each day?

Gzcl took my bench from 105x2 to 105x5 in 5 weeks. And OHP 67.5 for 2-3 at 72.5 1rm to 67.5 x 4 and 75 1rm. I didn't gain any weight.

I had success doing lots of DB compounds, chins and dips as T2 and T3, but that was partly fitting in the volume I wanted in the time I had. I think Cody recommends you do more isolation work as T3 rather than compounds. If advise you not to start too heavy, then make it more intense after you've found your feet.

Yep mine has my weak points in mind and a few T3s that help deal with potential imbalances I think I have before I try physio (i get an annoying pain front left hip flexor at the bottom of squats which some times goes away after I’ve gone heavy enough).

D1
Bench press
Incline bench
Lat pull down
Tricep pushdown
Face pulls
Bicep curls

D2
Warm up goblet squats and hip circle
Squats
2” deficit conv
Bulgarian split squat
Single leg DB deadlift
DB rows
Hanging leg raises

D3
OHP
Pause bench press
Chest flies
Tri extension
Face pulls
Lat raises

D4
Sumo Deadlift
Front squat
Chest supported rows
Leg press
Leg curls
Abs

I’ll give those links a read later this evening
Looks sensible. I think you'll enjoy it, I certainly have.

Something I've found helpful was pairing exercises up and using supersets for everything that's not a T1. Helps get stuff done faster in a busy gym.

Eg I superset DB benching with DB rows, OHP with barbell rows in the rack etc

Might be something to think about after you've run a cycle. Run it for 4 weeks culminating in testing with an AMRAP at your TM and then assess what changes you might want to make. 4 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
hola
Looks great man, (sure you know this already but) make sure your diet and macros are on point, make sure you're hydrated and well rested too that's atleast half the battle :biggrin:

what sort of numbers are you hoping to get your lifts upto? Have you set yourself any goal lifts, if so what are they? and what bodyweight do you want to be ideally?
Original post by Laurence863
Looks great man, (sure you know this already but) make sure your diet and macros are on point, make sure you're hydrated and well rested too that's atleast half the battle :biggrin:

what sort of numbers are you hoping to get your lifts upto? Have you set yourself any goal lifts, if so what are they? and what bodyweight do you want to be ideally?

140kg squat, 100kg bench, 180kg deadlift are good goals for now. When I achieve them then the goal is to just keep getting stronger, and go for the next milestone like deadlifting 3x bw.

But my main focus is training sustainably, and making progress rather than just chasing numbers. Chasing numbers alone never worked for me before.

Also my main goal is to you know just get that good feeling and become more confident, and look better overall etc...

Not sure about bodyweight. I’ll just keep focusing on building muscle until I hate how I look, but if I bulk properly I should be good till around summer. I’m 68kg which is apparently light for my weight. I would like to eventually reach around 80 and maintain that weight in the next few years.
15/11/19

Bench Press 70kg 2x4, 1x6 (AMRAP)
Incline Bench Press 45kg 4x8
Lat pull down 40kg 3x10
Tricep rope Pushdown 12.5kg 3x10kg
Face Pulls 15kg 3x15, 1x5
Biceps alternate curls 8kg 3x12, 1x10

Going up a weight in Lat Pull Down,tricep push downs, and facepulls for next week as I got the required reps
Last blog kinda turned into a mess. Decided I want to start off fresh and not have a blog where I change programme every few weeks and also no random venting about stuff that doesn't matter.

Starting a new programme tomorrow 4 days a week. I might be doing a practice meet on Dec 1 so if I am then the next 2 weeks ill be doing prep then the programme.

Going to stick with this programme for up to a year hopefully.

Starting weight - 68.4kg at 5'8

maxes - as of 14/11/19
Squat 100kg for 4
Sumo Deadlift 135kg for 3
Bench 85kg for 2
OHP - 40kg for 5

Goals:
1.) Add muscle to my frame
2.) Have my clothes fit better
3.) Keep getting stronger
4.) Cut down over summer
5.) Keep getting more confident irl

@illusionz @Gone Revising II @TajwarC @Laurence863 @Angry cucumber @Angry Bird @Greywolftwo @YouCantSeeMe

best of luck bro, the best advice I can give is to simply stick with it *consistently* for as long as you can. Try incremental goals, if you can do it for a month you can do it for 2 months and so on. Make sure you're getting your rest and eat properly, you'll be strong and big af in no time
15/11/19

Bench Press 70kg 2x4, 1x6 (AMRAP)
Incline Bench Press 45kg 4x8
Lat pull down 40kg 3x10
Tricep rope Pushdown 12.5kg 3x10kg
Face Pulls 15kg 3x15, 1x5
Biceps alternate curls 8kg 3x12, 1x10

Going up a weight in Lat Pull Down,tricep push downs, and facepulls for next week as I got the required reps

What's your T2 and T3 progression plan?
What's your T2 and T3 progression plan?

T2 will progress every 4 weeks with T1. Since it’s based on a % of T1. And T1 progression depends on how much I get on the 4th week AMRAP

T3 first 2 I need 30 reps and 2nd 2 I need 50 reps. So when I get the total reps I progress up to the next weight increment.

EDIT: T2 weight increases each week at the same percentage of T1, but also with a change in the rep scheme
(edited 4 years ago)
140kg squat, 100kg bench, 180kg deadlift are good goals for now. When I achieve them then the goal is to just keep getting stronger, and go for the next milestone like deadlifting 3x bw.

But my main focus is training sustainably, and making progress rather than just chasing numbers. Chasing numbers alone never worked for me before.

Also my main goal is to you know just get that good feeling and become more confident, and look better overall etc...

Not sure about bodyweight. I’ll just keep focusing on building muscle until I hate how I look, but if I bulk properly I should be good till around summer. I’m 68kg which is apparently light for my weight. I would like to eventually reach around 80 and maintain that weight in the next few years.

That's around where I'm at at 80kg, take away like 20kg from the squat and add 10 to bench cos I suckkkkk at squatting compared to my other lifts haha.

I'm a total numbers nerd, but I think I do it more for the athletic and strength benefits because I compete in judo.

anyway man best of luck to you, I'll keep checking in
16/11/19:

Experimented with wider grip on the bar. Think that feels way better. Experiment with wider stance not quite sure. Single leg db deadlift let me know how unbalanced my leg strength is, and how crap my balance is.

Squats 85kg 2x4, 1x6
2” deficit deadlift 80kg 4x8
Bulgarian split squats bodyweight 2x13, 3x12 per leg
Single leg dumbbell deadlift
DB row 16kg 2x13,2x12
Hanging leg raises 3x8
In to watch progress

Your lifts are similar to mine and goals are too (140kg squat, 100kg bench though the 3 plate squat is the bigger target for me because I'm useless at squats). I'm not that familiar with GCZL, but it does seem to be good with great volume and strength work proportionally programmed, and plenty of accessory work. I do find once you pass that beginner phase (roughly 6-12 months) a linear programme is not productive, induces fatigue and probably makes you prone to injury...my views only.

I can go gym max 3 times a week for now so let's see how we both get on - I weigh 83.9 kg today. May go on a proper routine in the new year, but for now it's just a mixture of exercies broadly programmed upper/lower/mixed day with volume.

Can the fat guy with lower frequency beat the light guy with higher frequency? :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
In to watch progress

Your lifts are similar to mine and goals are too (140kg squat, 100kg bench though the 3 plate squat is the bigger target for me because I'm useless at squats). I'm not that familiar with GCZL, but it does seem to be good with great volume and strength work proportionally programmed, and plenty of accessory work. I do find once you pass that beginner phase (roughly 6-12 months) a linear programme is not productive, induces fatigue and probably makes you prone to injury...my views only.

I can go gym max 3 times a week for now so let's see how we both get on - I weigh 83.9 kg today. May go on a proper routine in the new year, but for now it's just a mixture of exercies broadly programmed upper/lower/mixed day with volume.

Can the fat guy with lower frequency beat the light guy with higher frequency? :biggrin:

Watching your thread to. And I agree with the point on beginner programmes I’m happy I stopped being delusional and jumped off onto a programme with proper upper body and deadlift volume.

I’ve seen your thread what’s helped me most with my squat technique is the knees out and toes slightly out cue. If you don’t already a good YouTube channel to follow and Instagram is Squat University.

I’ll probs win by levelling the playing field and getting fat :biggrin:
18/11/19:

Overhead Press - 32.5kg 2x4, 1x8
Pause Bench - 52.5kg 7x3
Cable Chest Flies 10kg each side 3x10
Tricep Extensions 11.25kg 3x10
Face Pulls 16.25kg 2x13, 2x12
Dumbell Lateral Raises 4kg 2x13,2x12

Happy still had 1-2 left in the tank on OHP.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest