The Student Room Group

Is ADH released in response to low blood pressure or dehydration?

^^^^
Well ADH is released in response to dehydration by the pituitary gland to signal the kidneys to recover water from urine diluting blood plasma. However I don’t think ADH is released in response to hypotension.
Original post by andrei00
Well ADH is released in response to dehydration by the pituitary gland to signal the kidneys to recover water from urine diluting blood plasma. However I don’t think ADH is released in response to hypotension.

Angiotensin 2 (released as part of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone cascade in response to hypotension) is one of the things that stimulates the pituitary to release ADH
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by andrei00

Original post by moonkatt
Angiotensin 2 (released as part of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone cascade in response to hypotension) is one of the things that stimulates the pituitary to release ADH

Thank you so much for your replies back!

So ADH is released when you have low blood pressure but it can also be released when you have a lack of water in the blood stream, right?

Are these 2 separate points, so "ADH release due to low blood pressure" and "ADH release due to lack of water in the blood" related to each other?
I think they are as low blood pressure also means we have lacking water in the blood, right?
But again, can these two points not be related to each other in regards to ADH release?

Also, here it says ADH cause constriction of blood vessels and also increase in blood volume (obviously due to water entering the blood) - so suggesting ADH is released in response to low blood pressure.
1.JPG
However here, it says that ADH is released when there is a high number of dissolved solutes in the blood (I think that's what it's hinting here) or a decrease in blood volume - so suggesting ADH is released due to there being a lower water potential in the blood so basically dehydration
2.JPG
Thanks a lot in advance!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Dehydration .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending