The Student Room Group

gsce physics

Hello, I am in year 10 and at the moment we have almost finished covering topics for the whole of paper 1. However I am really confused on the electricity section and what things I need to know and how to revise them.
Please help :smile:
What exam board do you do?
Use Seneca Learning! I used it for all my subjects but it was most useful for science! I was a 4 in physics in year 10 and when I got my results this summer, I got an 8! I couldn’t recommend it enough! https://www.senecalearning.com
Original post by stillcrying
Use Seneca Learning! I used it for all my subjects but it was most useful for science! I was a 4 in physics in year 10 and when I got my results this summer, I got an 8! I couldn’t recommend it enough! https://www.senecalearning.com

Same. What a coincidence? Seneca Learning was a life saver. I never thought I'd end up doing A-level Physics
Original post by Kitten261002
Same. What a coincidence? Seneca Learning was a life saver. I never thought I'd end up doing A-level Physics

Me too! I changed to do A-level physics at the start of college after I got my results!
Original post by gscewhizz
Hello, I am in year 10 and at the moment we have almost finished covering topics for the whole of paper 1. However I am really confused on the electricity section and what things I need to know and how to revise them.

Hello, for the electricity section of GCSE physics, I'd recommend going over all the electrical equations, even the ones given on the Data Sheet, and making either posters or flashcards on each equation, what the symbols represent and what each part is measured in. For example, V = IR where V = voltage in volts (V), I = current in amperes (A) and R = resistance in ohms (Ω). This was such a big help for my mock exam as it helped me learn what everything was measured in, so I knew what needed converting in questions and it really helped me get a 9.

I'd also recommend going over series and parallel circuits, as these quite commonly come up in exam questions. If you're doing AQA Combined Science, it might also be a good idea to look at the relationships between voltage, current and resistance as these featured heavily in the first paper of the June 2019 series. Again, I'd recommend making flashcards or posters on these, as that way you can look at the information all the time, wherever you are. Once you've gone through these, test yourself on them by making flashcards with a question on one side and the answer on the other.
Hope this helps. :smile:

I don't know what is expected in the test paper as it could be based in historical findings which means researching history or it could be looking at current findings which means looking at what things do nd how to test them. The problem is, electricity is a very broad topic these days.
When I was at school I remember being told how to wire a plug but I already knew this from my mum but I didn't know that some people don't know how cookers work at 13 years old so not only is electricity a broad subject and I don't know what the curriculum put in to say what was researched but I don't know what you do and do not know. All I know is, if you have a book that has words in it, all the nouns naming words and pronouns, umbrella words, there all important for looking things up online. If you can't find it there then use the words to look up the books in the school library. Don't depend completely on the revision guide as it is just a guide. Knowing that little bit extra is what gets extra points and it might answer a question that isn't covered I the class or the guide books. That's why it's best to make notes or write in your exercise books what it is that your being taught and the names and sub names of things. So you have the guide and what you know and what you can research on what you don't realise you don't know.
Reply 8
Original post by Kitten261002
What exam board do you do?

I do AQA (higher)
Reply 10
Original post by ressandetti
I don't know what is expected in the test paper as it could be based in historical findings which means researching history or it could be looking at current findings which means looking at what things do nd how to test them. The problem is, electricity is a very broad topic these days.
When I was at school I remember being told how to wire a plug but I already knew this from my mum but I didn't know that some people don't know how cookers work at 13 years old so not only is electricity a broad subject and I don't know what the curriculum put in to say what was researched but I don't know what you do and do not know. All I know is, if you have a book that has words in it, all the nouns naming words and pronouns, umbrella words, there all important for looking things up online. If you can't find it there then use the words to look up the books in the school library. Don't depend completely on the revision guide as it is just a guide. Knowing that little bit extra is what gets extra points and it might answer a question that isn't covered I the class or the guide books. That's why it's best to make notes or write in your exercise books what it is that your being taught and the names and sub names of things. So you have the guide and what you know and what you can research on what you don't realise you don't know.

Thank you

h

Original post by Bookworm-278
Hello, for the electricity section of GCSE physics, I'd recommend going over all the electrical equations, even the ones given on the Data Sheet, and making either posters or flashcards on each equation, what the symbols represent and what each part is measured in. For example, V = IR where V = voltage in volts (V), I = current in amperes (A) and R = resistance in ohms (Ω). This was such a big help for my mock exam as it helped me learn what everything was measured in, so I knew what needed converting in questions and it really helped me get a 9.

I'd also recommend going over series and parallel circuits, as these quite commonly come up in exam questions. If you're doing AQA Combined Science, it might also be a good idea to look at the relationships between voltage, current and resistance as these featured heavily in the first paper of the June 2019 series. Again, I'd recommend making flashcards or posters on these, as that way you can look at the information all the time, wherever you are. Once you've gone through these, test yourself on them by making flashcards with a question on one side and the answer on the other.
Hope this helps. :smile:

is has really helped me, i mostly struggle with the units of each variable in the equation
Reply 11
Original post by stillcrying

Thank so much, Does senca go in detail as I am doing higher

Yes, it’s got all the facts you need condensed so you don’t need to go through the textbook and has all the topics nicely outlined. Try it and let me know what you think! :smile:

Yes, it is great.

Also, can I recommend this:
https://www.gcsephysicsonline.com/
I do AQA (higher)

They are one of the best boards.
You'll be fine.
Complete as many practice papers as possible, and when you run out, swap to different boards, and cover papers from old specs.
These flash cards are pretty good, though they are Edexcel specific, physics is physics.

http://www.physicsinfo.co.uk/?page=list&cat=37&type=2,

Click on both of the Revision Cards links
Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest