The Student Room Group

how to discipline kids who have bad attitude/untidy/do not listen?

if your kids talk back/are untidy and cannot be told to do any chore or take responsibility (and they are between 6 and 10) how would you choose to discipline them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by errrr99
if your kids talk back/are untidy and cannot be told to do any chore or take responsibility (and they are between 6 and 10) how would you choose to discipline them?

i would maybe say if you dont do your chores, you wont get to play on the Playstation or Xbox or i'll take your phone off you until you start speaking nicely to me. i dont know if that would work though. good luck!!
take away their devices

my sister does what i tell her to do when i pretend to cry in front of her. ik that’s manipulative but it gets the work done
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by errrr99

Tell them you'll ring social services? Smacked bottoms and sent to bed without supper?

As this isn't Mumsnet, it won't implode by saying this.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ViktoriyaPetrov
i would maybe say if you dont do your chores, you wont get to play on the Playstation or Xbox or i'll take your phone off you until you start speaking nicely to me. i dont know if that would work though. good luck!!

Thanks...I have to admit they are hypothetical kids

do all kids get playstation/xbox/devices to confiscate? (I was thinking aged 6 - 10 they would not get these things)
Original post by errrr99

do all kids get playstation/xbox/devices to confiscate? (I was thinking aged 6 - 10 they would not get these things)

maybe not one each. like when I was like 10 or 11 me and my family shared an Xbox. I guess it would pressurize the kids to behave as their bad behaviour would affect their siblings?
Reply 6
DDT and figure four leg lock
Reply 7
Original post by ViktoriyaPetrov
maybe not one each. like when I was like 10 or 11 me and my family shared an Xbox. I guess it would pressurize the kids to behave as their bad behaviour would affect their siblings?

basically you're saying use carrot and stick, if it's too boring at home you'll have no hold over them at all, xbox = carrot and smacking = stick

there are some issues with kids being addicted to games and stuff...quite tricky to deal with probably! apparently they get violent in their teens (some of them due to their addictions)
Original post by errrr99
basically you're saying use carrot and stick, if it's too boring at home you'll have no hold over them at all, xbox = carrot and smacking = stick

there are some issues with kids being addicted to games and stuff...quite tricky to deal with probably! apparently they get violent in their teens (some of them due to their addictions)

true. it probably wouldn't really help much in the long term but the threat might be enough? it worked with me lol
Turn off the WiFi.
Reply 10
Limit the amount of time they can play Fortnite to once a fortnight.
Original post by gjd800
DDT

The banned pesticide? :erm:
Reply 12
Original post by DiddyDecAlt

Yes
Reply 13
Original post by DiddyDecAlt

Original post by gjd800

I see...
Original post by errrr99

No. But there can always be consequences. If you bring your kids up to know where the boundaries lie, if they push the boundaries they know if they have done wrong. In this case social isolation (go to your room) before apologies and forgiveness is usually enough.

Goodness only knows where the idea that snacking kids was effective came from. There really is no need.
Original post by Your Local Cat
Limit the amount of time they can play Fortnite to once a fortnight.

brutal 😂
Original post by Reality Check
Tell them you'll ring social services? Smacked bottoms and sent to bed without supper?

As this isn't Mumsnet, it won't implode by saying this.

I remember back when I was little my friend snapped at her mum so her mum told her she's going straight to bed without dinner as soon as they get home. I was horrified 😂
Original post by Leviathan1611
beat them with a rod.

Is this serious?
Original post by I am Fabulous
Is this serious?

I didn't stutter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending