The Student Room Group

If I'm doing the GDL, does it matter where I did my undergraduate degree?

I'm planning on either doing the LLB in a Russell group Uni, or doing a different course in a non RG uni and then doing the GDL. If I take the GDL, would doing an undergraduate degree in a non RG uni cause issues for me in the future if I want to work in a top city firm, or a national firm?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Jibran 2001
I'm planning on either doing the LLB in a Russell group Uni, or doing a different course in a non RG uni and then doing the GDL. If I take the GDL, would doing an undergraduate degree in a non RG uni cause issues for me in the future if I want to work in a top city firm, or a national firm?

why do you want to do both the GDL and the LLB?
Reply 3
you want to work in a top city firm; just make sure you go to a good uni. whether it's an RG uni is irrelevant tho. employers are not that narrow minded.

tbh your degree is just one aspect of your resume and if you want to compete, you need to think more broadly. a BA alone isn't going to cut it if you want to be Harvey Specter. what will you do to make yourself stand out in the pile of resumes?
(edited 4 years ago)

Why would you do a GDL and an LLB?
Going to a rg university is literally irrelevant, you can get in via clearing so it doesn't distinguish you whatsoever. If you want to be in a top city firm, it's Oxbridge, UCL or LSE. Even then be prepared to excel in every other area of your character to build a resume that might get considered in the first round of applications. Be realistic.
Reply 6
Original post by emily_000

I'm sorry if is pins confusing. I have 2 routes. Either doing the LLB in an RG uni OR doing a different course in a non RG uni and then taking the GDL route. My qualifications would allow me to do Law at uni of York, but they won't allow me to do any other course in any RG uni that's close to me, because I have a BTEC and not A-Levels (granted they are equivalent...)
Reply 7
Original post by Joleee
you want to work in a top city firm; just make sure you go to a good uni. whether it's an RG uni is irrelevant tho. employers are not that narrow minded.

tbh your degree is just one aspect of your resume and if you want to compete, you need to think more broadly. a BA alone isn't going to cut it if you want to be Harvey Specter. what will you do to make yourself stand out in the pile of resumes?

I've read about all these dreadful posts regarding people that won't even be considered for a top city firm simply because they did Law or a different degree in a Non RG uni...
Original post by emily_000

That isnt what they wrote. Read it again.
Reply 9
I've read about all these dreadful posts regarding people that won't even be considered for a top city firm simply because they did Law or a different degree in a Non RG uni...

wat?

i would take everything you read on forums with a grain of salt. they are written by a specific person with a specific, prejudiced experience. if they write they didn't get a job because they 'didn't go to an RG uni' they are probably misinformed/making excuses.

employers look at your entire resume. they want to know that you can actually work in an office environment; that you have more than a lazy or general interest in law. that's why your degree is only a small part of your resume. anyway, realistically if you see yourself in a 'top firm' it would make sense that you went to at least a good school, right?
(edited 4 years ago)
Everyone saying that employers consider 'every part of your character and personality', is misguided. At city firms, you will get a few seconds of attention and your University name is the only thing that will keep them around.
Original post by ethancruise15
If you want to be in a top city firm, it's Oxbridge, UCL or LSE.

Wait, are you suggesting that there are other universities then?! wtf...
I'm sorry if is pins confusing. I have 2 routes. Either doing the LLB in an RG uni OR doing a different course in a non RG uni and then taking the GDL route. My qualifications would allow me to do Law at uni of York, but they won't allow me to do any other course in any RG uni that's close to me, because I have a BTEC and not A-Levels (granted they are equivalent...)

I think it's better to have a 3 year law degree rather than 1 year diploma and especially if if you do it at a Russel group university. So, in my opinion. you should do law at York.

In my opinion, you have better chances of getting accepted at a good firm if you study law at York rather than to do the GDL. Even though in GDL you learn everything that you need to know as a 'lawyer'.

You can go abroad with your LLB (hons) and exercise law. Something that you cannot do with your GDL. Most universities that are abroad are asking for a LLB (hons). So, if you do your GDL you have to stay in the UK or go to a country that does accept it.

So, go to York just because you can go abroad.

And to answer your question, no, it doesn't matter where did you go to do your GDL.
(edited 4 years ago)
stupid question, but how does it work? lol
Original post by J Papi
You really haven't gone through the process or spoken to HR, have you? It's painfully obvious...

stupid question, but how does it work? lol

what would be the things that would "insta-reject" you? (i understand these questions might be considered dumb, but im trying to take in as much information as possible before jumping into something as important as this)
The RG uni is - University of York
The non-RG uni is-... university of bradford😐

I don't care if I'll end up in a top city firm (even if that is the ultimate goal) a national firm or even a regional firm would do

I don't think Bradford would even be CONSIDERED for a city firm.....
I know league tables aren't the word of God when it comes to the chance of being recruited by a city firm, but Bradford sits at around the 70s
Okay😂 I understand that the uni doesn't really matter as much, but I am assuming that people from unis that have a better reputation through stuff like league tables and whether it's RG or not, would be more favoured? If I'm wrong in my assumption, please let me know

Thanks for all the replies btw lol
Okay😂 I understand that the uni doesn't really matter as much, but I am assuming that people from unis that have a better reputation through stuff like league tables and whether it's RG or not, would be more favoured? If I'm wrong in my assumption, please let me know

Thanks for all the replies btw lol

The problem is you cant really find out. Things have been changing over the last couple of years so you can't always predict what employers will look for in a few years time. However competitive law firms have often had A level cut offs. Lets say they require AAB as a minimum. Few people with those grades go to Bradford. Therefore it looks like its impossible to get in with a degree from Bradford.
Original post by ajj2000
The problem is you cant really find out. Things have been changing over the last couple of years so you can't always predict what employers will look for in a few years time. However competitive law firms have often had A level cut offs. Lets say they require AAB as a minimum. Few people with those grades go to Bradford. Therefore it looks like its impossible to get in with a degree from Bradford.

Agreed - a person's A level or BTEC grades will follow them wherever they go - that is what will work against them if they make the mistake of applying to one of the firms with high A level requirements (or equivalent) - not the uni they attended.

Personally I would choose York over Bradford anyway and encourage @Jibran 2001to push themselves out of their comfort zone to go to the best uni they can regardless of course, but that is up to them.

Quick Reply

Latest