The Student Room Group

How do i revise for a level english language

I’m taking English language A level -
I’m just wondering if anyone has taken it and passed with a good grade could give me advice on ways to revise it.
I’ve not seen a lot of videos for english language compared to my other subjects and I need some help lol

Scroll to see replies

I did it with OCR and got a high B! My best way to revise was always to make posters for each of the theorists and put them up in my room and then make cue cards for the key words, especially for lexis and semantics which each had their own colour which helped me to remember like oh this is something I can talk about in a lexis paragraph because it was in purple! I did the same with CLA, ages were just something I had to memorise but I could remember some key points by colour like “the words ‘stage 7’, ‘post telegraphic’ and ‘largely accurate use of pronouns’ were all in pink on my poster so they go together!”

It just depends how you learn honestly though, those are the things that worked for me but you just need to figure out which kind of learner you are and go from there!! Hope that helped though!
Reply 2
Original post by Emily_5410
I did it with OCR and got a high B! My best way to revise was always to make posters for each of the theorists and put them up in my room and then make cue cards for the key words, especially for lexis and semantics which each had their own colour which helped me to remember like oh this is something I can talk about in a lexis paragraph because it was in purple! I did the same with CLA, ages were just something I had to memorise but I could remember some key points by colour like “the words ‘stage 7’, ‘post telegraphic’ and ‘largely accurate use of pronouns’ were all in pink on my poster so they go together!”

It just depends how you learn honestly though, those are the things that worked for me but you just need to figure out which kind of learner you are and go from there!! Hope that helped though!

I know in quite a visual learner so I think this will definitely help!! Also well done for getting a B :smile:
The best way that I revised for English language terminology was through quizlet, simply because there is so much complex terminology and each word has a very specific meaning so it’s crucial that you know exactly what each word means. For theories I made posters and mind maps. I also wrote many practice essays / essay plans. Sorry I can’t be of better help! But just planning answers to lists of different questions is always a good place to start
Reply 4
Original post by English2001
The best way that I revised for English language terminology was through quizlet, simply because there is so much complex terminology and each word has a very specific meaning so it’s crucial that you know exactly what each word means. For theories I made posters and mind maps. I also wrote many practice essays / essay plans. Sorry I can’t be of better help! But just planning answers to lists of different questions is always a good place to start

I know!! I just feel so overwhelmed with all the terminology I have to learn and remember. Thanks for the help though
Original post by Gracieloo28
I know in quite a visual learner so I think this will definitely help!! Also well done for getting a B :smile:

Thank you!! Hope it goes well for you!! My only issue was practice exam papers because they don’t really exist anywhere but sometimes you can find videos just of kids speaking to make your own transcripts or make up your own topical issue questions!
Reply 6
I know!! I just feel so overwhelmed with all the terminology I have to learn and remember. Thanks for the help though

It's not that difficult, is it? I've been getting As on my essays recently and my AO1 has been quite strong. I think I find applying theories slightly difficult though.

Original post by English2001
The best way that I revised for English language terminology was through quizlet, simply because there is so much complex terminology and each word has a very specific meaning so it’s crucial that you know exactly what each word means.

What do you mean by ‘complex’? I'm scared I'm missing something now lmao.
Reply 7
Original post by Emily_5410
Thank you!! Hope it goes well for you!! My only issue was practice exam papers because they don’t really exist anywhere but sometimes you can find videos just of kids speaking to make your own transcripts or make up your own topical issue questions!

That’s exactly what I was going to say lol!! I wish there was more resources for the subject I literally can’t find anything
Reply 8
That’s exactly what I was going to say lol!! I wish there was more resources for the subject I literally can’t find anything

What awarding body are you with? If you are with AQA, ask your teachers. They seem to have a lot of resources hidden for some odd reason, but your teachers should be able to access the area in which they are kept. If you are with any of the other three, they do have many resources on their site if you look in the right places.
Reply 9
Original post by Tolgarda
What awarding body are you with? If you are with AQA, ask your teachers. They seem to have a lot of resources hidden for some odd reason, but your teachers should be able to access the area in which they are kept. If you are with any of the other three, they do have many resources on their site if you look in the right places.

No I’m with WJEC - I have looked on the website but I can’t seem to find much for as level
It's not that difficult, is it? I've been getting As on my essays recently and my AO1 has been quite strong. I think I find applying theories slightly difficult though.

What do you mean by ‘complex’? I'm scared I'm missing something now lmao.

I wouldn’t say I find it difficult as I’ve also been getting high b’s last term it’s just I’m worried that I’m not revising properly if that makes any sense :/ idk I just feel like I could be doing more
By calling it A level for starters.
Original post by Vinny C

You sound like you got full marks when you sat the English language exams at A Level! You must be a master linguist!

I wouldn’t say I find it difficult as I’ve also been getting high b’s last term it’s just I’m worried that I’m not revising properly if that makes any sense :/ idk I just feel like I could be doing more

I understand. Go on Eduqas's website. It does have resources if you click on 'related documents'.
(edited 4 years ago)
Do as many past papers as you can!
It's also a really good idea to brush up on language, structure and narrative techniques! It's been mentioned before but cue cards or a quiz would be an excellent way to do this.

It's also worth reading around. Maybe start reading more literature (for paper 1) and have a look at the variety of writing you have available to you; perhaps read the news or debates surrounding topics you find interesting?
Different pieces of writing will have different intentions; perhaps it'd be a good idea to make cue cards on different types of writing (i.e. letters, news articles, travel writing, etc) and list features of them and why the author uses them?
Also think: why is the source structured this way? What is the author's agenda - why is it relevant?

At the end of the day - I'd say it's more important to focus on english literature over english language, especially if you're already getting good grades for language. Literature has the edge in terms of content you need to know.

Best of luck to you!!
You sound like you got full marks when you sat the English language exams at A Level! You must be a master linguist!

I understand. Go on Eduqas's website. It does have resources if you click on 'related documents'.

I had pretty good marks, ty.... but hated the subject. I can always spot blunders from non natives... it is not an easy language to get right. Provide an example of the subjunctive?
Original post by Vinny C
I had pretty good marks, ty.... but hated the subject. I can always spot blunders from non natives... it is not an easy language to get right. Provide an example of the subjunctive?

Oh really, with which awarding body?

Which subjunctive? Idiomatic, mandative or volitional?

Idiomatic example: God save the Queen.
Mandative example: I demand that he be ready by dawn.
Volitional example: If I were a spy, I would make 007's feats look trivial and irrelevant.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ludendwarf
Do as many past papers as you can!
It's also a really good idea to brush up on language, structure and narrative techniques! It's been mentioned before but cue cards or a quiz would be an excellent way to do this.

It's also worth reading around. Maybe start reading more literature (for paper 1) and have a look at the variety of writing you have available to you; perhaps read the news or debates surrounding topics you find interesting?
Different pieces of writing will have different intentions; perhaps it'd be a good idea to make cue cards on different types of writing (i.e. letters, news articles, travel writing, etc) and list features of them and why the author uses them?
Also think: why is the source structured this way? What is the author's agenda - why is it relevant?

At the end of the day - I'd say it's more important to focus on english literature over english language, especially if you're already getting good grades for language. Literature has the edge in terms of content you need to know.

Best of luck to you!!

Have you studied language at A Level? I'd argue that language actually has the edge there with all the theorists!
Original post by Vinny C

You are such an intellect omg
You are such an intellect omg

Had time to study. My bucket list was foreign language, horseride and play drums. Done the first two... je parle le francais bien! Je monte bien a cheval. Devinir un batteur… je practique!
(edited 4 years ago)
Have you studied language at A Level? I'd argue that language actually has the edge there with all the theorists!

I'm actually studying literature at A Level.
Lol this will probably completely discredit me - but I thought this was in the GCSE thread. I am just an exhausted idiot trying to be helpful. Please excuse me!

...Out of sheer nosiness - what is A level language like? I rather wish I had the opportunity to study the joint language and literature A level but alas my school wasn't offering it! Bummer. You have to use theorists?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending