The Student Room Group

Should Winston Churchill be celebrated as much as he is?

Should schools also acknowledge the acts of racism by Churchill and slurs he used. The Bengal famine he contributed towards by taking their food to feed English soldiers during the war when the British still had control of India/Pakistan/Bangladesh.
What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BreezyM
Should schools also acknowledge the acts of racism by Churchill and slurs he used. The Bengal famine he contributed towards by taking their food to feed English soldiers during the war when the British still had control of India/Pakistan/Bangladesh.
What are your thoughts?

Do you or have you studied History to GCSE, A or Degree level?
How do you know what schools teach?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger

In my school and my friends school they dont teach it. My friends do history gcse and i have seen the curriculum and the cpurse they are going to be studying. do they study this in your school? if so that is good.
Reply 3

On top of that my mum works in a school and they dont learn this in history over there as well.
Original post by BreezyM
In my school and my friends school they dont teach it. My friends do history gcse and i have seen the curriculum and the cpurse they are going to be studying. do they study this in your school? if so that is good.

Not everyone takes GCSE.
Not everyone studies Churchill.
Sounds like you have done neither.
Why dont you take account of what people did and was acceptable 100 years ago is different towards what people think and do now or is that not relevant to you?

If you had studied History you would understand Churchill and events are complicated things studied from different angles and perspectives.
Reply 5
No... he led us to war and destroyed the Empire. Had Empire continued, Africa would now be as wealthy as the USA.
Interesting discussion
Reply 7
Not everyone takes GCSE.
Not everyone studies Churchill.
Sounds like you have done neither.
Why dont you take account of what people did and was acceptable 100 years ago is different towards what people think and do now or is that not relevant to you?

If you had studied History you would understand Churchill and events are complicated things studied from different angles and perspectives.

We still learn about slavery. that was 100 uears ago.
we still learn abput hitler and how evil he was. that was 100 years ago. That's the whole point of history. You look and learn about the past. Not everyone takes GCSE i know but for those who do, why isnt it taught? If not taught then in textbooks. but you dont see it. it seems quite 1 sided tbh. he called indians dirty rats and said about the bengal famine that they should stop breeding like animals. race aside, in the min 1900s during the 2 weeks of smog, he was a cause of that. he told people to burn anything to keep warm and by this smog was formed. during this time people especially young pr quite old dies as they were to weak to handle the fumes. I have done my research. maybe i havent done it in history lessons at school but i hace done my research.
Original post by BreezyM
We still learn about slavery. that was 100 uears ago.
we still learn abput hitler and how evil he was. that was 100 years ago. That's the whole point of history. You look and learn about the past. Not everyone takes GCSE i know but for those who do, why isnt it taught? If not taught then in textbooks. but you dont see it. it seems quite 1 sided tbh. he called indians dirty rats and said about the bengal famine that they should stop breeding like animals. race aside, in the min 1900s during the 2 weeks of smog, he was a cause of that. he told people to burn anything to keep warm and by this smog was formed. during this time people especially young pr quite old dies as they were to weak to handle the fumes. I have done my research. maybe i havent done it in history lessons at school but i hace done my research.

Not all schools do. Slavery.
Hitler. Not all schools do.

Why should the people who choose History have to shoulder the burden for all; the stem students and everyone else who did not.
Options are much broader and have thousands of years to cover.

Did you choose to do GCSE or A level History and if not why not?

You still dont get the idea that attitudes and norms were different 100 years ago than they exist today.
As I said Churchill is not a very important part of any GCSE or even any A level option I know of.
Yes you can study his place in History and some of his more controversial actions, but that is part of history . You would know that if you had actually studied it.

You seem to have a very one sided agenda that aims to tear down his reputation, except it is one sided and you have a woeful inability to see it in context or understand what the skills and purpose of teaching History is.

These threads happen about once every 3 months, they make me want to vomit as you expect some sort of penance for people that existed 100 years ago as judged by todays standards. If you think Churchill was bad, then am sure you would have much preferred to live under the Nazis or Stalin, then you would be happy. How do you think you would have been treated then? Ask your mum. Is she a History teacher? What does she teach?
Original post by username5039504
he is greater than any leader we've had in this dirty leftist modern world

I agree.
He took over when Britian was on its knees, and brought us back to be a great nation again. He is without doubt one of the best.
Reply 10
Original post by username5039504
he is greater than any leader we've had in this dirty leftist modern world

Not really but no leader was ever perfect. Harriet Tubman was greater than most.
Reply 11
Not all schools do. Slavery.
Hitler. Not all schools do.

Why should the people who choose History have to shoulder the burden for all; the stem students and everyone else who did not.
Options are much broader and have thousands of years to cover.

Did you choose to do GCSE or A level History and if not why not?

You still dont get the idea that attitudes and norms were different 100 years ago than they exist today.
As I said Churchill is not a very important part of any GCSE or even any A level option I know of.
Yes you can study his place in History and some of his more controversial actions, but that is part of history . You would know that if you had actually studied it.

You seem to have a very one sided agenda that aims to tear down his reputation, except it is one sided and you have a woeful inability to see it in context or understand what the skills and purpose of teaching History is.

These threads happen about once every 3 months, they make me want to vomit as you expect some sort of penance for people that existed 100 years ago as judged by todays standards. If you think Churchill was bad, then am sure you would have much preferred to live under the Nazis or Stalin, then you would be happy. How do you think you would have been treated then? Ask your mum. Is she a History teacher? What does she teach?

it may come across as a one sided agenda but i honestly dont mean it like that. i just watched good morning britain once and then did a bit of research amd was shocked. im not saying we shouldnt aknowledge that churchill practically saved england from being ruled under the nazis and i applaud that however my question was should this other history of Churchill also be aknowledged along with his achievement.
i didnt take history gcse i took geog, french and computing because they help with my career choice in the future.
She isnt history. she works as an english teacher.
if you dont mind me asking what stage of education are you at or have you passed that?
Reply 12
Complex bloke and I have complex feelings towards him

Like most of us he was neither fully good nor fully bad
There is a difference between Winston Churchill the WW2 Prime Minister and the peacetime Churchill. We owe a great debt to him as wartime leader.
If you would rather be spending your nights in the Hitler Youth goosestepping around your local park because Churchill said some racist things (as did 99% of people from his time), be my guest.
Reply 15
Original post by LiberOfLondon
If you would rather be spending your nights in the Hitler Youth goosestepping around your local park because Churchill said some racist things (as did 99% of people from his time), be my guest.

read my response to 999tiger
Original post by BreezyM
it may come across as a one sided agenda but i honestly dont mean it like that. i just watched good morning britain once and then did a bit of research amd was shocked. im not saying we shouldnt aknowledge that churchill practically saved england from being ruled under the nazis and i applaud that however my question was should this other history of Churchill also be aknowledged along with his achievement.
i didnt take history gcse i took geog, french and computing because they help with my career choice in the future.
She isnt history. she works as an english teacher.
if you dont mind me asking what stage of education are you at or have you passed that?

Then you can hardly moan on about it when you decided not to take it yourself but feel happy enough to inflict things on other students.

As any decent History student or objective thinker will already know people including Churchill are complicated character and not all their decisions in life are the right ones or come with an intended outcome.

Go and look at the specification and you will see there is very little space for Churchill as even WW2 is not taught very often.

I am postrgrad. I just get bored of these sorts of threads where the UK has to apologise for existing for having an empire, should feel guilty over slavery etc etc. The standards of 100 years ago were different from what they are today. You should at least take that on board. Look at it through the eyes of someone in 1918 and not 2018.
Reply 17
Then you can hardly moan on about it when you decided not to take it yourself but feel happy enough to inflict things on other students.

As any decent History student or objective thinker will already know people including Churchill are complicated character and not all their decisions in life are the right ones or come with an intended outcome.

Go and look at the specification and you will see there is very little space for Churchill as even WW2 is not taught very often.

I am postrgrad. I just get bored of these sorts of threads where the UK has to apologise for existing for having an empire, should feel guilty over slavery etc etc. The standards of 100 years ago were different from what they are today. You should at least take that on board. Look at it through the eyes of someone in 1918 and not 2018.

im not moaning about it. i just watched a program and it got me thinkink. i was bored so i started this. of course i dont think people should be held accountable for a past they couldnt control. when i learnt about this tho i wondered why we werent taught about this. thats all. im not trying to inflict anything upon anyone but i just wondered why we hadnt learnt it in uears such as 9 or 8 or even 6 where ww2 was a big topic

So would you say that those who persecuted homosexual in the past shouldn’t feel guilty as we must contextualise their views because they had different standards at that time?

I don’t necessarily agree/care for what OP talks of as I don’t rlly have an opinion it. But I think you trying to excuse slavery and the alike by saying we must consider the different standards at the time is problematic loool. Doesnt matter what time it took place, it was bad and a ****ty thing to do. Periodt.
Excuse my typos also

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending