The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea

Anyone been to a Swansea uni open day? what was it like?
It's a good experience. Lots of staff available and its nice them before to know if you like their styles etc. I enjoyed it mainly to see the campus and facilities. I'm in my first year now and love the uni, it's so supportive and my department is incredible in terms of teaching, friendliness and helpfulness - they honestly go above and beyond and the uni as a whole will help you with whatever you need! We'll worth visiting and having a look around :smile:
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by sailormars

Lovely staff and supportive environment however my overall feel of the place is that it looks run down and its like time stood still, the buildings look like they have been updated in years, the look of the place isnt everything but thats how i felt (singelton park campus, dont know what the other campus was like) .
Reply 3

I've graduated from there. It's pretty decent. I'd say bay campus looks the best and has far much better facilities (except the library, not sure why they made it so small when they knew they would be expanding the campus). The biggest problem with bay campus is that its very windy and it's a pain going all the way there by bus due to traffic.

What course are you applying for?
Original post by 0natalie0
Lovely staff and supportive environment however my overall feel of the place is that it looks run down and its like time stood still, the buildings look like they have been updated in years, the look of the place isnt everything but thats how i felt (singelton park campus, dont know what the other campus was like) .

This is true with singleton campus, it's very run down, though there are botanic gardens next to it, and looks gorgeous during spring and summer.
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
I've graduated from there. It's pretty decent. I'd say bay campus looks the best and has far much better facilities (except the library, not sure why they made it so small when they knew they would be expanding the campus). The biggest problem with bay campus is that its very windy and it's a pain going all the way there by bus due to traffic.

What course are you applying for?

This is true with singleton campus, it's very run down, though there are botanic gardens next to it, and looks gorgeous during spring and summer.

I'm applying for media and communications
Reply 5

Unfortunately I don't really know enough about that course :s Have you visited the department?

I think that media is on Singleton Campus but dont know anything about the subject.
Original post by 0natalie0

Obviously it isnt as modern as the Bay Campus which has only opened in the last 5 years but the Nano Centre and the 2 Institute of Life Sciences havent opened long ago. Some of the other buildings have been open a fair bit longer which isnt unusual for univesities. The Talbot building has been refurbished in the last couple of years and I believe Kier Hardie, Grove and Margam have not long been redeveloped. Having older buildings is normal for many universities unless you are looking at universities that have opened in the last 50 years such as Bath or Lancaster.
Original post by swanseajack1
Obviously it isnt as modern as the Bay Campus which has only opened in the last 5 years but the Nano Centre and the 2 Institute of Life Sciences havent opened long ago. Some of the other buildings have been open a fair bit longer which isnt unusual for univesities. The Talbot building has been refurbished in the last couple of years and I believe Kier Hardie, Grove and Margam have not long been redeveloped. Having older buildings is normal for many universities unless you are looking at universities that have opened in the last 50 years such as Bath or Lancaster.

Of course, I do feel that the staff there are lovely, like i said you go there for the education, but looking at it as a whole, i was disappointed because you of course have to be happy in that environment, this wasn't the case for me but Im sure others would think its fine, just a personal opinion really.
You are entitled to your opinion but Swansea university opened in 1920 and there are many older universities out there. Obviously as with many older universities you will get older buildings and many universities are older than Swansea. As I said 3 of the buildings have been built in the last 10 years and the oldest building the Talbot has been totally refurbished in the last 2 years. It was the old Engineering building and that has moved to the Bay campus and the whole building has been refurbished for its new purpose.
Original post by swanseajack1
You are entitled to your opinion but Swansea university opened in 1920 and there are many older universities out there. Obviously as with many older universities you will get older buildings and many universities are older than Swansea. As I said 3 of the buildings have been built in the last 10 years and the oldest building the Talbot has been totally refurbished in the last 2 years. It was the old Engineering building and that has moved to the Bay campus and the whole building has been refurbished for its new purpose.

Yes I understand, i come as an outsider , I assume you go to Swansea and have a different perspective than me, you probably enjoy it.
Keir Hardie and James Callaghan have been refurbed inside too now, nice shiny desks and computer bits, and the library has had a lick of paint too. It's still got the beautiful rose gardens but it's more liveable - they've even added a fair few new sofas round the place in cosy corners which is lovely for those on campus all day! Compared to some unis I don't think it's that ugly - Leeds was too grey and East anglia was a testament to the 1960s.

Quick Reply

Latest