Question
Question:
ll
Original post by AlishaWhite
ll

What have you tried?
Original post by RDKGames
What have you tried?

normally you would equate potential energy to kinetic but it wants the end of the rod and it is a rotation. So it wouldnt be mgh = 0.5mv²
normally you would equate potential energy to kinetic but it wants the end of the rod and it is a rotation. So it wouldnt be mgh = 0.5mv²

Yep, so you need to consider rotational K.E.

How much GPE does the rod lose in the process of motion?

This must be equal to the rotational KE when the rod is vertical, and this is given by 12Iω2\dfrac{1}{2}I\omega^2, where II is the moment of intertia of the rod about the end which is fixed to the ceiling, and ω\omega is the angular speed.

Rearrange this equality for ω\omega. Then clearly, velocity of the other end of the rod is v=lωv = l\omega
(edited 4 years ago)
Yep, so you need to consider rotational K.E.

How much GPE does the rod lose in the process of motion?

This must be equal to the rotational KE when the rod is vertical, and this is given by 12Iω2\dfrac{1}{2}I\omega^2, where II is the moment of intertia of the rod about the end which is fixed to the ceiling, and ω\omega is the angular speed.

Rearrange this equality for ω\omega. Then clearly, velocity of the other end of the rod is v=lωv = l\omega

In E = mgh

would h = L or would it be 0.5L
In E = mgh

would h = L or would it be 0.5L

It's a uniform rod, so the CoM is halfway along the rod.
(edited 4 years ago)
It's a uniform rod, so the CoM is halfway along the rod.

Ok thanks.

Not rlly sure on this on either:
Reply 9
Ok thanks.

Not rlly sure on this on either:

1/total resistance for the LHS would be (1/R1+R2)+1/R3 and so you equate that to Rtot of the RHS which is (1/Rp+2R3), make Rp the subject
Original post by Varss
1/total resistance for the LHS would be (1/R1+R2)+1/R3 and so you equate that to Rtot of the RHS which is (1/Rp+2R3), make Rp the subject

I got the LHS but for RHS did u mean 1/(Rp + 2R3) or (1/Rp) + 2R3
Reply 11
I got the LHS but for RHS did u mean 1/(Rp + 2R3) or (1/Rp) + 2R3

sorry that's my fault lol I meant 1/(Rp)+2/(R3)

Quick Reply

Latest