The Student Room Group

Leaving college this year and need a job. never had a job before where do I start?

I am 18 years old and have been told in college that I cannot progress because of my GCSEs so I am gonna fund myself education in software development area.

when I mean fund myself I mean go on Udemy and pay out for courses that cost £10 - £15. The only thing that is holding me back is having Crohns disease which is an autoimmune disease, it makes it very difficult to stay up during the day but I think if I have a job it could possibly help me out.

looking for a part-time job so I can continue my studies. I would resit my GCSEs but I just cant keep awake to revise them and I find revising puts me to sleep lol. I believe the reason I cannot do my GCSEs or exams is because of how my special needs and illnesses work because I find if I don't quite understand something or I cannot make sense of it tends to not stick in my head. In my college for maths and english lessons I have been told that I am unteachable which hurts quite a bit really :/

Any support will be appreciated I really need to know what to do because if its one thing I will not go on benefits.
Original post by BizzFrog22
I am 18 years old and have been told in college that I cannot progress because of my GCSEs so I am gonna fund myself education in software development area.

when I mean fund myself I mean go on Udemy and pay out for courses that cost £10 - £15. The only thing that is holding me back is having Crohns disease which is an autoimmune disease, it makes it very difficult to stay up during the day but I think if I have a job it could possibly help me out.

looking for a part-time job so I can continue my studies. I would resit my GCSEs but I just cant keep awake to revise them and I find revising puts me to sleep lol. I believe the reason I cannot do my GCSEs or exams is because of how my special needs and illnesses work because I find if I don't quite understand something or I cannot make sense of it tends to not stick in my head. In my college for maths and english lessons I have been told that I am unteachable which hurts quite a bit really :/

Any support will be appreciated I really need to know what to do because if its one thing I will not go on benefits.

If you decided to leave the college i would suggest to go for training jobs that is funded by the governments. You will get certificate or diploma during those training and there you go. You have the experience as you don't need to start volunteering in order to get experience. While working you can resit you GCSE's.

I wouldn't advise you to leave college thou, i would suggest you to finish your course then go for apprenticeship.
Reply 2
What do you want to do in life?
a programmer.?

Paying a couple of quid for some YouTube videos will not make you one.
It can take years to make a living off it.

Also it can be far more tedious than studying for your GCSEs.
Reply 3
Original post by adam271
What do you want to do in life?
a programmer.?

Paying a couple of quid for some YouTube videos will not make you one.
It can take years to make a living off it.

Also it can be far more tedious than studying for your GCSEs.

Yes I want to become a backend developer and if it’s the only career I can do let it be a fun and exciting one :smile:

I find learning java a lot easier than doing gcses :smile:

I don’t care how long it takes really all Ik is I enjoy it
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
The problem is that math plays a key role in programming.
Particularly algebra and logic
Particularly in backend development.

I'd look on indeed and see what employers are looking for in terms of developers and the required qualifications.

But regardless of the programming bit.

Please get a GCSE in English and mathematics at a c Grade or grade 4.
These 2 qualifications are so important no matter what you do next.
Reply 5
Original post by adam271
The problem is that math plays a key role in programming.
Particularly algebra and logic
Particularly in backend development.

I'd look on indeed and see what employers are looking for in terms of developers and the required qualifications.

But regardless of the programming bit.

Please get a GCSE in English and mathematics at a c Grade or grade 4.
These 2 qualifications are so important no matter what you do next.

Ill give it my best like if I can get a retail job do it part time and pass my GCSE’s then get on right track hopefully :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending