The Student Room Group

Do you have a vote in Uxbridge and South Ruislip?

If you have a vote in Uxbridge & South Ruislip, you can get rid of the Prime Minister! :awesome:

Check your constituency.
https://beta.parliament.uk/postcodes

He has a relatively small majority of 5,034, well down on the election before that.

Young people across Uxbridge and South Ruislip are mobilising to Get Rid of Boris.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/17/view-from-uxbridge-young-voters-battle-to-oust-boris-johnson

Here are the results from the last election. Labour stand the best chance of removing Boris in that seat.

General election 2017: Uxbridge and South Ruislip

Conservative Boris Johnson 23,716 50.8 +0.6
Labour Vincent Lo 18,682 40.0 +13.6
Liberal Democrats Rosina Robson 1,835 3.9 -1.0
UKIP Lizzy Kemp 1,577 3.4 -10.8
Green Mark Keir 884 1.9 -1.3

Majority 5,034 10.8 -13.1
Turnout 46,694 66.8 +3.4
Registered electors 69,936
Conservative hold Swing -6.5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uxbridge_and_South_Ruislip_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Help get rid of one of the most corrupt, self-serving and lying politicians this country has ever had in high office.
(edited 4 years ago)
I would be more in favour if Labours candidate Ali Milani - wasn't a raging anti-semite ********.

I did my undergraduate degree at brunel - he was the student union president. 100% anti-jewish nob. Not to mention all round dodgy guy. Hated by the LGBT society back then, but that will probably go by the way-side now that he has the labour badge and its boris hes up against.

He is preciely the type I don't want in poltiics.. university, student poltiics, NUS, then labour party...

Hes got a good shot though - its only a fringe of brunel students who know what hes really like, and bar a few small scale news articles about his past tweets and such, he doesn't have any big black marks against his name. He ticks off a lot of boxes, and knows exactly what to say to get people to vote for him.
(edited 4 years ago)
On the other hand, I can't imagine boris hasn't thought through this... if he really felt his seat was at risk, no chance he wouldn't be parachuted into a tory completly safe seat.
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)If you have a vote in Uxbridge & South Ruislip, you can get rid of the Prime Minister! :awesome:

Help get rid of one of the most corrupt, self-serving and lying politicians this country has ever had in high office.

I echo that plea. My only difference is that I would not use the phrase 'one of the', just 'the'. Easily the worst Prime Minister since Lord North, if not the worst ever.
I'm proxy voting in that constituency for my best friend's brother.
Guaranteed Conservative vote.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/can-boris-johnson-keep-his-seat-a-young-muslim-immigrant-is-challenging-the-british-prime-minister/2019/11/06/607a87c0-000f-11ea-8341-cc3dce52e7de_story.html

it all depends which narative you read..

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/revealed-ali-milani-labour-candidate-for-boris-johnson-s-seat-in-2015-press-tv-appearance-1.486891

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/05/labour-candidate-wants-boris-johnsons-seat-says-sorry-anti-semitic-tweet-11043940/

Is he the plucky migrant child who grew up and struggled his way to this oppertunity, representign an under-representated minority?

Or is he an antisemitic individual who represents a minority religion that is itself highly anti-semtic.. who has posted antisemetic tweets a teenager (no, as the president of an student union), and was despised by the universities J-soc and other progressive groups for his attitudes and behavior towards them?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns
On the other hand, I can't imagine boris hasn't thought through this... if he really felt his seat was at risk, no chance he wouldn't be parachuted into a tory completly safe seat.

Mr Johnson has a reputation for not doing detail. Such as on those arrested in Iran.
I would be more in favour if Labours candidate Ali Milani - wasn't a raging anti-semite ********.

I did my undergraduate degree at brunel - he was the student union president. 100% anti-jewish nob. Not to mention all round dodgy guy. Hated by the LGBT society back then, but that will probably go by the way-side now that he has the labour badge and its boris hes up against.

He is preciely the type I don't want in poltiics.. university, student poltiics, NUS, then labour party...

Hes got a good shot though - its only a fringe of brunel students who know what hes really like, and bar a few small scale news articles about his past tweets and such, he doesn't have any big black marks against his name. He ticks off a lot of boxes, and knows exactly what to say to get people to vote for him.

The current state of the Labour Party is the best chance for the Tories.
Original post by barnetlad
Mr Johnson has a reputation for not doing detail. Such as on those arrested in Iran.

true.. hes also shown himself to be incrediably arrogant.. maybe he just believes he can't loose.
Reply 9
I can’t imagine he’s that worried. Con-Lab got 90% vote share last time so tactical voting is not a massive threat. Given that Labour maxed out in London in 2017 he probably feels that if Labour are unseating him then it’s likely the party has lost anyway.

Ideally though we’d get a nice majority but see him kicked out. We’d get acting PM Raab with a good chance of PM Gove.
It'd be the sweetest thing, to see Tubby lose his seat. It would be the 2019 Portillo moment - but better!
Reply 11

Democracy is great isn't it? You can choose anyone you like, so long as it's either a racist Jew-hater in a red tie or a racist Muslim-hater in a blue tie. And if you don't like either of them you can just throw your vote away, because choosing literally any other option will mean your vote has no impact at all on the actual result.

Our system is utterly broken.
Original post by Dez
Democracy is great isn't it? You can choose anyone you like, so long as it's either a racist Jew-hater in a red tie or a racist Muslim-hater in a blue tie. And if you don't like either of them you can just throw your vote away, because choosing literally any other option will mean your vote has no impact at all on the actual result.

entirely agree. Would vote for electoral or political reform in a heartbeat
Original post by Dez

Is it the system or is it the voters?

In any given constituency there are usually half a dozen candidates, who's fault is it that only 2 (or sometimes 3) parties get a look in?

My idea is to remove the name of the party each candidate is standing for from the ballot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending