The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
I'm a third year student doctor at Cambridge University and I'm here to help anyone who wants to ask questions about the application process, tips and tricks and life as a student doctor.

This is really lovely. I clearly remember how well you came across in posts during your application, as well as since, so am sure people could have much to learn from you (and good for med school interviews to be able to talk about discussions with current med students, everybody!)
Reply 2
do gcses really matter I'm year 11 and cant be asked to revise but I do pretty well in exams I get like 8s to 6s in some subjects but mostly 7s nd 8s
Reply 3
Original post by Abxd2x
do gcses really matter I'm year 11 and cant be asked to revise but I do pretty well in exams I get like 8s to 6s in some subjects but mostly 7s nd 8s

For some med schools they matter a lot, for others, not at all (Cambridge being one of these), but good GCSE grades mean you are not limiting the med schools you can apply to. More info here
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
(but bear in mind you often need MUCH more than minimum requirements for an interview, eg Cardiff required 8A*s and an A in recent years)
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
I'm a third year student doctor at Cambridge University and I'm here to help anyone who wants to ask questions about the application process, tips and tricks and life as a student doctor.

There are lots of threads. Feel free to get stuck in.
Original post by Abxd2x

It's a shame to hear that you can't be bothered to revise. In short, yes, they do matter but it depends on which medical school you apply to whether or not you need to do really well or just the standard for medical school. Some places have an avg. of 10A*s (I don't know the new system I'm afraid.) and others just ensure you meet the standard criteria and try to look at more recent stats like AS results, A2 predictions, UCAT, BMAT and so on.

The best advice I can give for you to get some motivation to revise in year 11 is to watch some medical documentaries. When I was your age I was regularly watching GPs behind closed doors, 24 hours in A&E, Junior Doctor Stories, Air Ambulance and so on. They're all a great way for you to get a superficial feel of what medicine is really like and was super useful in keeping me motivated to study. If you are still really struggling and you don't feel that you can be bothered at all after seeing what medicine has to offer, I guess it's just not the career for you. Medicine is genuinely such a challenging career, taking years of really difficult study just to qualify, followed by ridiculous working hours and a life-long commitment to studying and working so it's worth considering if that's all for you. It's really not just being a white coat ward hero!
Original post by GANFYD
This is really lovely. I clearly remember how well you came across in posts during your application, as well as since, so am sure people could have much to learn from you (and good for med school interviews to be able to talk about discussions with current med students, everybody!)

Thank you for your kind words!

Latest

Trending

Trending