The Student Room Group

i don’t get my homework

the question is If T(N) = 4N-1, what is the third term?I don’t get it! The third term of what?How do I find that? We haven’t learnt this in class!!!
Original post by Sophiejxnee
the question is If T(N) = 4N-1, what is the third term?I don’t get it! The third term of what?How do I find that? We haven’t learnt this in class!!!

The question isn't too clear but suppose that T(N)T(N) actually generates a sequence of numbers for values N=1,2,3,... where the Nth number in the sequence is given by 4N-1.

Then, what is the third term in this sequence?? Firstly, what must N be to represent the 3rd term? So substitute it in and see what it is.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
The question isn't too clear but suppose that T(N)T(N) actually generates a sequence of numbers for values N=1,2,3,... where the Nth number in the sequence is given by 4N-1.

Then, what is the third term in this sequence?? Firstly, what must N be to represent the 3rd term? So substitute it in and see what it is.

I appreciate the help but i am only in Year 7 so i do not understand that. If you could maybe try and phrase it simpler it would be awesome!
Reply 3
Original post by Sophiejxnee
I appreciate the help but i am only in Year 7 so i do not understand that. If you could maybe try and phrase it simpler it would be awesome!

4n-1 means it starts at -1 and u add 4 so it goes to 3, then 4 is 7, then 4 is 11, do you understand?? I'm year 9 and this is quite confusing so it's not your fault :smile: good luck. (I hope I did it right cus I'm set 1 hahaha)
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest