The Student Room Group

Bank of England 2019/2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raganosio
Last year the results came through a couple of days after the closing of applications. Maybe the same will happen this year too.

I was told by the Bank that results would come from 25 of November onwards, but I am surprised that this guy has already done a video interview.
How did you find the tests?

My internet kept going down and I had my landlady interrupt me twice mid-testing. Despite that, I managed to scrape through.

The test is 50/50 split between numerical testing and text comprehension. The numerical testing is tricky but passable (I study History lol) and the reading is easy enough.

The best advice that I can give is don't stress too much if you aren't amazing with numbers/don't worry too much about the timer. I used up most of my time on the numerical section then blitzed the reading side of it really quickly and still finished with spare time. Hope that helps?
Original post by pop18dsa
Which stream did you apply?

Supervision.
Original post by Brandimo
My internet kept going down and I had my landlady interrupt me twice mid-testing. Despite that, I managed to scrape through.

The test is 50/50 split between numerical testing and text comprehension. The numerical testing is tricky but passable (I study History lol) and the reading is easy enough.

The best advice that I can give is don't stress too much if you aren't amazing with numbers/don't worry too much about the timer. I used up most of my time on the numerical section then blitzed the reading side of it really quickly and still finished with spare time. Hope that helps?

I think I have the opposite issue. I am happy with numbers but find reading tasks more difficult. I sat this test two years ago and didnt pass and I think the reading bit was the reason. Some questions were a page long in the test I sat and it was just too much. Having said that a year prior I reached the AC and this is when they didnt have those tests but had the Analytical Gold test (which was super enjoyable).

Thank you very much for your advice, I will hope that they eased up the verbal reasoning part haha
Hey guys, I'm applying tonight but just wondered if the tests are part of the initial application? I don't have a lot of time tonight and don't want to rush things! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Bobbobbob
Hey guys, I'm applying tonight but just wondered if the tests are part of the initial application? I don't have a lot of time tonight and don't want to rush things! Thanks :smile:

Tests aren't part of the initial application - once you submit your application, you get an invite to do the tests (need to complete within 5 working days).

If you are only opening your application, I wouldn't recommend applying tonight. You should really give some thought to the answers to the motivational questions they ask (if you haven't done so already - just my two cents).

Good luck either way!
Tests aren't part of the initial application - once you submit your application, you get an invite to do the tests (need to complete within 5 working days).

If you are only opening your application, I wouldn't recommend applying tonight. You should really give some thought to the answers to the motivational questions they ask (if you haven't done so already - just my two cents).

Good luck either way!

Oh right, didn't know there would be motivational Qs too - thanks!
Hey guys, does anyone know if the tests have to also be completed by the 18th or is it just the initial application stage?
Original post by Bobbobbob
Hey guys, does anyone know if the tests have to also be completed by the 18th or is it just the initial application stage?

To the best of my knowledge, it's just the initial application. The tests have a separate judging by the email they are sent in.
To the best of my knowledge, it's just the initial application. The tests have a separate judging by the email they are sent in.

Brandimmo would you mind sharing with us the set of questions you answered in your video interview?
Brandimmo would you mind sharing with us the set of questions you answered in your video interview?

Seeing as I ignored your DM asking the same question, I thought the answer would have been relatively clear.

I'm not giving you the exact questions - it's proper tight on those people who have had to submit their video interviews without the benefit of knowing the questions beforehand.

It's 5 questions - consider your motivations, when you have demonstrated competencies relevant to the role, and do some research about the Bank. If someone else wants to give you them, fair enough - but that's all the advice I'm giving you.

be careful asking questions like that as these forums are monitored. It is not that difficult to find out who the person is.
be careful asking questions like that as these forums are monitored. It is not that difficult to find out who the person is.

First of all, I did not ask for the explicit questions, but more the issues dissected by them, secondly, I didn't like for a second the tone you adopted with me, saying that I could be easily identified as if I had done some illicit thing, I don't recall having asked you anything. Do not talk to me ever again. I didn't want the real questions themselves, rather their models as guidance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anafilipafr
Hi,

I am applying to the Graduate Development Programme at the Bank of England. I did my Undergraduate Degree in Economics (BSc), but now I am currently pursuing a Master's in a Politics area.

I know that I am not eligible for the "Postgraduate Economics/Finance" stream, but I was wondering if I can apply to the Economist stream? Or would the Bank expect me to still be attending my undergraduate degree?

tldr: Can I apply to the Economist stream with a BSc in Economics and an MA in a completely different area?

Thank you in advance!

Ana

Are you from the UK, have you started your master already?
Are you from the UK, have you started your master already?

Yes, I have, and in the UK (although I did my undergraduate abroad)
Yes, I have, and in the UK (although I did my undergraduate abroad)

Have you already applied? to which stream.
Have you already applied? to which stream.

Not yet. I want to apply to the Economist stream, but I am unsure if I am eligible...
Not yet. I want to apply to the Economist stream, but I am unsure if I am eligible...

I think you are eligible to both, given that you already started your master, it is up to you.
Reply 38
Has anyone heard back yet after the tests ??
Original post by LVS2019
Has anyone heard back yet after the tests ??

I'm just about to do mine! The website says well hear back about 2 weeks after each deadline. The deadline for all tests is tomorrow so I'm guessing well hear back any time between COP tomorrow and the next fortnight when they have a good idea of all test result scores!

Quick Reply