The Student Room Group

Moving sixth form in year 12?

So I currently go to a sixth form in a grammar school, but I’m thinking of moving to the non selective sixth form in my area. I liked being at a grammar school at first, but I’ve come to find that there’s so much pressure being put on me. If I get a B it’s not good enough and makes me feel terrible about myself, which I don’t want. Also, none of my old friends go to the same school as me, and it sounds silly but I miss them so much! They’ve told me that it’s extremely social at the non selective college, which really appeals to me as I haven’t really been able to make any close friends at the grammar school (as in no one I can really trust and rely on as a good friend). Lots of people already knew each other and it didn’t seem like they were interested in making new friends. Anyone got any advice or experience? Should I risk moving, only to regret it and not be able to return? I know I’ll work just as hard in a more relaxed environment, and honestly I just want to enjoy these two years rather than become stressed and miserable :/
What subjects do you do and will they be the same at the comprehensive with the same exam board?
Reply 2
Original post by Littlegeekgirl_
What subjects do you do and will they be the same at the comprehensive with the same exam board?

I’m doing biology, chemistry, geography and maths. I think geography is a different exam board but the others are the same, my friend who also does bio and chem is covering the exact same content as me so I think so.
Original post by lcmoll.x
I’m doing biology, chemistry, geography and maths. I think geography is a different exam board but the others are the same, my friend who also does bio and chem is covering the exact same content as me so I think so.

I guess if that’s the case, it really wont be bad
Would you still be doing all the 4 a levels?
Reply 5
Original post by .unknown
Would you still be doing all the 4 a levels?

Yes, unless I decide to drop one after the first year if it gets too much
Reply 6
Original post by Littlegeekgirl_
I guess if that’s the case, it really wont be bad

But socially do you think it’ll be better? I know only I can make this decision myself, but my main concern atm is the amount of stress and lack of good friends. I just don’t want to regret my decision.
Reply 7
I kid you not, I went through the exact same thing, I moved to the most competitive gramma school in my area and left my friends who went to the local sixth form. And I had so much pressure and hw I hated it, my advice is still it would try at stick it out until Christmas as if you still hate it see if you can move because it is really only your decision.
But socially do you think it’ll be better? I know only I can make this decision myself, but my main concern atm is the amount of stress and lack of good friends. I just don’t want to regret my decision.

Will the other school accept you; are you sure there's a place?
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Will the other school accept you; are you sure there's a place?

It’s a very large sixth form so I reckon they’ll have a place, I don’t think there’s a limited number of spaces to a certain extent. Besides, I did have a place but I turned it down to go to a grammar school.
It’s a very large sixth form so I reckon they’ll have a place, I don’t think there’s a limited number of spaces to a certain extent. Besides, I did have a place but I turned it down to go to a grammar school.

That does not mean they'll accept you now - it's late in the year. We have a big Sixth form but we wouldn't allow a transfer at this stage. Some teaching groups might be full.

You need to ask before you decide ...
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
That does not mean they'll accept you now - it's late in the year. We have a big Sixth form but we wouldn't allow a transfer at this stage. Some teaching groups might be full.

You need to ask before you decide ...

I have emailed admissions so I’m just awaiting a reply. When I say it’s big I mean there’s a good two thousand students per year group. There are people who move to the area mid year and have no choice but to transfer, and as the only sixth form in my area that isn’t attached to a school they’d have little other choice. I also know people who have transferred to the exact same sixth form in year 13, I don’t think two months into year 12 is “late in the year”. But yes your point about teaching groups being full is a fair one, I suppose at the moment I’ll just have to see. But in general it’s known to take in a large number of students without really having a limit on the number they accept.
Reply 12
Original post by Pardo17
I kid you not, I went through the exact same thing, I moved to the most competitive gramma school in my area and left my friends who went to the local sixth form. And I had so much pressure and hw I hated it, my advice is still it would try at stick it out until Christmas as if you still hate it see if you can move because it is really only your decision.

Aha so good to find someone who relates! That’s a really good point, my only concern is that I wouldn’t want to leave it too late. I’m two months into year 12 so I can just about move without it being too much of an issue, but after Christmas seems quite late, I’d be missing a whole term. You’re right though, only I can make this decision. Thanks so much for your input! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending