The Student Room Group

Should I just give it all up?

Hi just looking for some advice really, I’m supposed to be applying this year as I’m in a gap year and I was looking at them last year and earlier in the summer but both times just ended up getting depressed/lost with it all. I would like to one day become some academic or something and I love learning about PPE and history etc in my spare time, so I wanted to do a PPE degree and then masters for economics and go down that path to become a lecturer or similar and it was like everyone else a dream of mine to study at a uni to be proud of like oxbridge or lse.

But I was a fool and ever since about year 10 have had this social anxiety and my way of dealing with it was to act a little bit slower than I actually am and try to make people laugh, and eventually I built up a reputation for being like this so I felt pressured to be consistent and carry on, however after ever summer holiday of just being myself I would come back forgetting how I used to do it, so I would be even more slower and stupid just to make sure that I was being consistent (it sounds ****ing stupid I know) so it built up over time to being a fool. I have a 5 in maths, B in economics, B in history, B in EPQ and a C in English lit as level, I got this essentially because I was being stupid in class and got thrown off my course in English after the As exams as the teacher seemed adamant that I would fail it, so i missed all the coursework they did for a2 after the exams and then when I was let back on to the course in a2 I had like 2 weeks to catch up all the coursework when everyone else had been doing it for ~2 months, so they made me do epq instead because apparently that would make up the UCAS points.

I just really don’t know what to do every uni I look at I am miles away from getting on to, I was thinking of just doing econ and just learning about the other stuff in my own time or with societies, I have an offer at Hull for ppe but i don’t think it will be good enough for econ Masters at a target uni.

Can any of you help advise me? :frown: Thanks
Hi! I came across this thread quite randomly but here's my advice. Please take it with a grain of salt because life happens.

Firstly, I sympathize with your situation. I took 2 gap years after high school and it all turned out okay for me.

If Hull is the best uni you can get into right now then go for it. Work hard, get good grades and then apply to better unis for a master's degree with a good first-class undergrad degree. Post-grad admission is a whole different ball game and they will look at your academic potential more than they will look at the prestige of your university. The basic principles of Economics are the same no matter where you go. Try to be a research assistant for your econ professors etc to build up your CV. Choose an interesting thesis topic and do rigorous analysis. That will be looked upon favorably, more so than the fact that you went to Hull.

As for me, I ended up in the USA. I got a double major in economics and biology. I currently work in investment banking in New York City and am applying to LLB programs in the UK. All this to say that Hull is not the end of the world. Use the opportunities given to you wisely and leverage your experiences to climb the ladder. 3 years pass by fast and the trajectory of your life and career is not dictated by your high school grades. Yes, there are people who directly get to go to Oxbridge but just because you don't have the same path as them doesn't mean you are worse off. Find other ways to make yourself an attractive candidate to universities for post-grad! Think for the long term and work towards it. It really isn't too late!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lawhopeful789
Hi! I came across this thread quite randomly but here's my advice. Please take it with a grain of salt because life happens.

Firstly, I sympathize with your situation. I took 2 gap years after high school and it all turned out okay for me.

If Hull is the best uni you can get into right now then go for it. Work hard, get good grades and then apply to better unis for a master's degree with a good first-class undergrad degree. Post-grad admission is a whole different ball game and they will look at your academic potential more than they will look at the prestige of your university. The basic principles of Economics are the same no matter where you go. Try to be a research assistant for your econ professors etc to build up your CV. Choose an interesting thesis topic and do rigorous analysis. That will be looked upon favorably, more so than the fact that you went to Hull.

As for me, I ended up in the USA. I got a double major in economics and biology. I currently work in investment banking in New York City and am applying to LLB programs in the UK. All this to say that Hull is not the end of the world. Use the opportunities given to you wisely and leverage your experiences to climb the ladder. 3 years pass by fast and the trajectory of your life and career is not dictated by your high school grades. Yes, there are people who directly get to go to Oxbridge but just because you don't have the same path as them doesn't mean you are worse off. Find other ways to make yourself an attractive candidate to universities for post-grad! Think for the long term and work towards it. It really isn't too late!

Thanks this is pretty motivating, I was thinking of resisting and maybe doing another a level as week so I have 3 but I’m not sure if it’s worth it and it’s already November, I never thought about being a research assistant how do you go about that? Thank you for your help :smile:
Start by being a good student and getting good grades in your econ classes. Go to office hours and talk to the professors about problem sets etc. Read your professor's research and ask them questions about it to show your interest in their research. Then start talking about your hope to pursue higher education in Econ and possibly of getting a PhD etc. Finally, ask them how you can gain further experience in Econ research and inquire about the possibility of becoming their RA. They may have a position open. They may not. If they don't, they might give you additional reading, or refer you to another prof! Do this with multiple profs for better chances but remember, it's not about the numbers but about showing your profs that 1) you will be a good RA, 2) you are genuinely interested in their research and want to be a part of it, and 3) you want to learn the practical application of econ (which is not what happens in lectures etc.).

Good luck!
Reply 4

Thanks this is pretty motivating, I was thinking of resisting and maybe doing another a level as week so I have 3 but I’m not sure if it’s worth it and it’s already November, I never thought about being a research assistant how do you go about that? Thank you for your help :smile:

Start by being a good student and getting good grades in your econ classes. Go to office hours and talk to the professors about problem sets etc. Read your professor's research and ask them questions about it to show your interest in their research. Then start talking about your hope to pursue higher education in Econ and possibly of getting a PhD etc. Finally, ask them how you can gain further experience in Econ research and inquire about the possibility of becoming their RA. They may have a position open. They may not. If they don't, they might give you additional reading, or refer you to another prof! Do this with multiple profs for better chances but remember, it's not about the numbers but about showing your profs that 1) you will be a good RA, 2) you are genuinely interested in their research and want to be a part of it, and 3) you want to learn the practical application of econ (which is not what happens in lectures etc.).

Good luck!

Thanks so much
Reply 5

Good luck!

Thanks again and just out of interest what university did you go to? And is the llb like a masters then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending