The Student Room Group

Outrage as blind African student is dragged out of Oxford Union

Scroll to see replies

'Oxford' did not 'kick out black people'.

* Oxford Union is not 'Oxford'.

* One person of colour has been involved in an incident.

* No-one has been excluded from Oxford.

Please, if you have any aspirations about going to University, do try to consider this sort of stuff in a slightly more nuanced and insightful way, instead of just shouting reactionary click-bait nonsense.
not related to race (at least not obviously - impossible to quantify how much race had a formative factor in the decision making of the Neanderthal staff) but the people who handled it to put it lightly are douchebags to handle a blind person like that imo, Oxford Union more like United Airlines lol, don't agree with putting a book on a seat to reserve it, but should be provisions for disabled people to find seats easily and for the people in there to have some human decency ffs.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Looks like they have it under control, the president's withdrawn his charge and the union apologised, and many pushing for his impeachment, and the President of Mansfield College, Helen Mountfield QC, arguing for him :biggrin:

https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2019/11/16/mansfield-principal-takes-on-union-president-with-discrimination-charges/
(edited 4 years ago)
This is why we need to decolonise Oxford University. Black and disabled students at Oxford experience this type of discrimination every day, from the lecture theatre to the dining hall. We need to decolonise the curriculum, hire more Black professors and women, and increase the proportion of PoC who make up the student body.
Original post by IH8Studying
ew that’s why i hate oxford and anyone who likes that uni.

what? this isn't the univeristy - it is the Union. An independent society :/
Original post by Azagthoa
This is why we need to decolonise Oxford University. Black and disabled students at Oxford experience this type of discrimination every day, from the lecture theatre to the dining hall. We need to decolonise the curriculum, hire more Black professors and women, and increase the proportion of PoC who make up the student body.

Have you ever studied at Oxford? Decolonise the University? What does that even mean? That's just stupid.
I went there as an ethnic minority and had lots of black friends, my girlfriend was black in fact. Neither of us experienced discrimination in the dining hall or our lecture theatre.
Original post by Azagthoa

You are confused. This Ghanaian man has himself colonised Oxford.
Original post by HumblyBumbly
what? this isn't the univeristy - it is the Union. An independent society :/

doesn’t matter. the uni is no different
doesn’t matter. the uni is no different

at least Helen Mountfield, the President of Mansfield College, is arguing for him and organising for the impeachment of the president, Brendan McGrath, for publicising his charge and laughing about kicking him out etc, and was not his first misdemeanor, the union (independent) has apologised for the heavy handed response, and I'm sure the staff will be disciplined...

https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2019/11/16/mansfield-principal-takes-on-union-president-with-discrimination-charges/

Learning moment for the union, university and the douchebags who manhandled him I'm sure
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
at least Helen Mountfield, the President of Mansfield College, is arguing for him and organising for the impeachment of the president, Brendan McGrath, for publicising his charge and laughing about kicking him out etc, and was not his first misdemeanor, the union (independent) has apologised for the heavy handed response, and I'm sure the staff will be disciplined...

Learning moment for the union, university and the douchebags who manhandled him I'm sure

well the union and the uni can go to hell
Ok well Helen is that bich. well the union and the uni can go to hell

haha yes, she is :smile:
ew that’s why i hate oxford and anyone who likes that uni.

Oh, wait a minute... :s-smilie:
I fail to see how his race comes into this; if anything it’s more a disability related issue
Original post by Oxford Mum
Oh, wait a minute... :s-smilie:

Its hate for the actions of some, thats unfortunately spilling on to the union and university :frown:
hmm ok tbh Oxbridge is overrated 😬
Its hate for the actions of some, thats unfortunately spilling on to the union and university :frown:

I am very, very strongly in favour of diversity, and am particularly wanting to see more black students at Oxford. This incident makes me feel very sad, whatever the circumstances.
but that's just my opinion though

makes me sick. what have us black people ever done to deserve this sick treatment

the only thing oxford uni is good for is wentworth miller going to have a talk. clearly they learnt nothing
I don't think it had anything do with his disability he was just behaving badly and happen to have eye sight problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending