The Student Room Group

Outrage as blind African student is dragged out of Oxford Union

Scroll to see replies

Original post by looloo2134
I don't think it had anything do with his disability he was just behaving badly and happen to have eye sight problems.

So it’s a non issue then, I’m sure a white person behaving badly would have been asked to leave too. Lol at “I feel unwelcome in Britain”
oh god... she strikes yet again ...
Original post by looloo2134
I don't think it had anything do with his disability he was just behaving badly and happen to have eye sight problems.

The disciplinary found him not guilty of any misconduct.
He wasn’t at fault at all. They dragged him out despite him booking a seat, then the president had the nerve to charge and laugh about that whole ordeal.
Original post by Professional G
He wasn’t at fault at all. They dragged him out despite him booking a seat, then the president had the nerve to charge and laugh about that whole ordeal.

Like you, I don't find this a laughing matter.
Original post by Good bloke
Why did he get kicked out? Perhaps he had transgressed by not being entitled to be there, or by trying to bag a seat in a special area, or by insulting or striking the chairman or his neighbour.

Why did nobody defend him? Was it because there was good reason to eject him and all present knew that? We are dealing largely with woke students, after all, not nasty baby-boomers.

He was removed as there were allegedly no spare seats in a venue that allows standing.

He face a disciplinary panel over the suspension of his Union membership and was found not guilty of any misconduct.

While they may be "woke" they don't have a backbone.

Where does it say he booked a seat? The article says he placed a book on a seat, which is not the same thing. If you tried that on an aeroplane flight then kicked off when you couldn’t have the seat it wouldn’t fly and they’d kick you off laughing.
My understanding is that the seat he (literally) 'booked' was in an area reserved for committee members or some such.
He reserved a seat but that isn’t much different either. They didn’t allow him back in despite him reserving the seat for later. Plus dragging him by the ankles is also humiliating.
He reserved a seat but that isn’t much different either. They didn’t allow him back in despite him reserving the seat for later. Plus dragging him by the ankles is also humiliating.

Being blind, I would have offered him my seat anyway, whatever his ethnicity.

In my experience with unions at both universities I’ve attended you normally need to book advance online and pay the relevant fee. If you just turned up and put a book on a seat that wouldn’t count as valid
My understanding is that the seat he (literally) 'booked' was in an area reserved for committee members or some such.

Is there a source for this? It would explain the somewhat heavy handed reaction
For a blind man sitting in the wrong place?
Check out this link: https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2019/11/16/mansfield-principal-takes-on-union-president-with-discrimination-charges/

Union staff forcibly removed him from the Union’s debating chamber after he had been found to be sitting in a seat reserved for committee members.

I'm guessing what happened is that Azamati "reserved" the seat as it was convenient for a blind person. When he came to sit down, security chucked him out because he was in the wrong place. I imagine Azamati may not have realised this, being blind?
Not surprised, elitism and institutional racism go hand in hand.
Original post by chazwomaq
Azamati may not have realised this, being blind?

He had a minder accompanying him, whose whole purpose would have been to check things like that out. So neither his skin colour nor his handicap were at all relevant. Any awkward and stubborn interloper (and the video shows he did display noisy anger in the face of a polite - and discreet - request to vacate) would have been treated in the same way.

Maybe, just maybe, he knew exactly what he was doing and this is a manufactured row.
(edited 4 years ago)
He had a minder accompanying him, whose whole purpose would have been to check things like that out. So neither his skin colour nor his handicap were at all relevant. Any awkward and stubborn interloper (and the video shows he did display noisy anger in the face of a polite - and discreet - request to vacate) would have been treated in the same way.

Come on man, half of the reason is because he was black. I don't think any white disabled person would have been treated that way in the UK.
Original post by maachu_pichuu
Come on man, half of the reason is because he was black. I don't think any white disabled person would have been treated that way in the UK.

That is an easy claim to make, but impossible to back up.
Reply 57
wow

Original post by chazwomaq
Check out this link: https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2019/11/16/mansfield-principal-takes-on-union-president-with-discrimination-charges/

I'm guessing what happened is that Azamati "reserved" the seat as it was convenient for a blind person. When he came to sit down, security chucked him out because he was in the wrong place. I imagine Azamati may not have realised this, being blind?

That makes more sense; it did seem to be a bit of an OTT reaction to someone sitting in a seat reserved for another student. I don’t condone how they handled it but my guess was that they would have offered him alternatives first before he started kicking off
Original post by maachu_pichuu

They were extremely heavy handed, the slimy president, Brendan McGrath has withdrawn his charge after publicising his name and laughing about kicking him out, and was not his first misdemanor and is now under impeachment proceedings led by the President of Mansfield College, Helen Mountfield QC, arguing for the person kicked out.

Unable to read minds to figure out the thought processes of the staff, but do think race did play a factor in the forcefulness of his removal (personal opinion)

Hope the airheads who dealt with this take this as a learning moment about basic human decency.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply