The Student Room Group

Question for International Students in UK who own a car

Where do you store your car when you go home for summer?
I left the UK for a whole year of travel, put my car in an older (non car-owning) neighbours garage in exchange for some bottles of wine. That was 'up North.
If you are down South, then there's bound to be somewhere - some airports have long-term parking, some cowboy rogue parking firms simply park the cars in random housing estates somewhere near the airports, some good parking firms do things properly.
Original post by JW2019

Why do you need a car, if you're a student?
Reply 3
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Why do you need a car, if you're a student?

I am applying to medicine courses and some medical schools told me if admitted I will probably need a car from year 3 to 5
Original post by JW2019
I am applying to medicine courses and some medical schools told me if admitted I will probably need a car from year 3 to 5

Why would you? Why would public transport not suffice? I've never heard that other med students need a car at all.

You're going to be storing a depreciating asset otherwise.
Reply 5
Why would you? Why would public transport not suffice? I've never heard that other med students need a car at all.

You're going to be storing a depreciating asset otherwise.

You are right .... I guess a car is a convenience, not a necessity, when one work late in a hospital in an area where public transit is not 24/7, etc....
Original post by JW2019
You are right .... I guess a car is a convenience, not a necessity, when one work late in a hospital in an area where public transit is not 24/7, etc....

The latter part made zero sense, but ok.
Reply 7
The latter part made zero sense, but ok.

Sorry I am an international student who knows nothing about how public transport works in the UK, when you said the latter part made zero sense, did you mean public transport is actually available 24/7 in most locations where hospitals are? Please explain.

The recommendation for a car is given to me by an university admission office, if you think they have given out incorrect information could you please explain?
Original post by JW2019
Sorry I am an international student who knows nothing about how public transport works in the UK, when you said the latter part made zero sense, did you mean public transport is actually available 24/7 in most locations where hospitals are? Please explain.

The recommendation for a car is given to me by an university admission office, if you think they have given out incorrect information could you please explain?

I can imagine there'd be sufficient public transport near any hospital, are you aware of which part of the UK you'll be in?
Reply 9
I can imagine there'd be sufficient public transport near any hospital, are you aware of which part of the UK you'll be in?

Thanks. Two medical schools gave me this information: UCLan in Preston, Kent & Medway in Canterbury .... both said a car is not absolutely necessary, but will make life easier for hospital and clinic placements from years 3 to 5 of the courses. As you said I guess it is a trade off between cost and convenience.
Original post by JW2019

I'm not a millionaire to buy a car in this country.
Besides, half a year abroad is enough to make my driving license invalid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending