The Student Room Group

[Official] Trinity College Applicants 2020

I couldn't find a thread for Trinity in the forum this year, so I thought I'd make one.

What subject are you applying for?

What are your GCSE grades and A level predicted grades?

What subject-related activities or supercurriculars have you done?

Why Trinity?

What other universities are you applying to?

Scroll to see replies

1) Mathematics
2) I got 10 9s and an A^ at GCSE; I’ve got an A* in mathematics, and am taking physics, history and further mathematics.
3) Read quite a lot; done olympiads and been on maths camps
4) Good maths community. Chose Cambridge as I'm not a big fan of the Oxford comma.
5) Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Durham

Anybody else?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
I was waiting for people to start posting on here :biggrin: I thought now would be a good time given that I got an interview invite a couple of days ago.

What subject are you applying for? Mathematics
What are your GCSE grades and A level predicted grades? I got 9 grade 9s, 1 grade 8, 1 grade 7 and 1 A* at GCSE. Predicted 4A* in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics for A level.
What subject-related activities or supercurriculars have you done? Wrote a couple of maths papers, did some UKMT competitions, read books, went to masterclasses/lectures
Why Trinity? I liked the idea of going to a college with lots of other mathematicians and I like the college grounds.
What other universities are you applying to? Imperial, Warwick, UCL and Birmingham (currently have offers from Warwick and Birmingham).

@sqrt(e/m)=c Have you heard back from Trinity on interviews?
Reply 3
Ha it's so weird that I just decided to look for this thread on the day it became active again.

What subject are you applying for? History
What are your GCSE grades and A level predicted grades? Got 2 9s, 6 A*s (most of which would be 9s if they'd been the new ones), and an A for GCSE. Predicted 3A*s for A level.

What subject-related activities or supercurriculars have you done? Basically just read tons of books, which I always did for fun anyway. Popped into some lectures and masterclasses. Nothing massive.

Why Trinity? 1) Money 2) Pretty & big 3)I think STEM people are hotter and there are more of those at Trinity.

What other universities are you applying to? Durham, Bristol, Manchester (might add Sheffield to the mix); have offers from Bristol & Manchester, neither of which will stop sending me emails and leaflets in the post trying to get me to choose them like two obsessive stalkers from some terrible daytime soap opera.

Have you heard back from Trinity on interviews? They did give me one; I think I must have been one of the first because i was one of the first in my school to hear from Cambridge at all, and I was scheduled in the morning on the first day they do interviews.
I do have an interview, yeah.
Is there anyone applying for Natural Sciences? I am trying hard to find out the answer of question 7 In the interview preparation specimen paper. I think it requires knowledge of Kinetics or Fick's law. Any idea?
Original post by q784400487
Is there anyone applying for Natural Sciences? I am trying hard to find out the answer of question 7 In the interview preparation specimen paper. I think it requires knowledge of Kinetics or Fick's law. Any idea?

Same here!! I also found that question weird though...
I have searched a lot about Fick's law and that would need a coefficient of diffusion (D). Finding that coefficient needs some complicated calculations, for instance we need first find the mean free path of those civetone molecules (which is kind of impossible, as there is no mention of collision diameter but only relative molecular mass of civetone given...). I guess if they really assume us to know all of these and use this method to solve the problem, they would at least give some hint about that question.
I noticed that the question mentioned dimensional analysis. I suppose it might be a key point but i really cannot think of any relevant methods to use dimensional analysis... This question must have certain clever solutions (but i failed to come up with any). Also, I have asked for help from my teachers but all they did is to tell me to preview some topics related to physical chemistry.
If you have any ideas please share them, thx!!
4A* predictions Maths, Further, bio, chem
1A* A level completed from before
4As in AS same subjects
I wasnt even selected for an interview for maths in Trinity.
Can someone plz tell me what I did wrong coz i have no clue.
According to my school my personal statement and my references are very strong.
Reply 8
Original post by Artemars12
4As in AS same subjects

Cambridge maths interview selection is based only on the information in your UCAS and SAQ. A level predicted grades, GCSEs (to a small extent), personal statement and reference is pretty much all they have to go on.

If you got a rejection, it's certainly not your predictions. I don't think Cambridge focus too much on GCSEs, but what were your GCSE grades? If your GCSEs were good, then it's probably something to do with your PS/reference.

(Also remember the college provides feedback when requested for people who are rejected from Cambridge, but I don't know when that is sent out).
(edited 4 years ago)
4As in AS same subjects

I am very sorry.

I was also rejected without interview I too, believing my application to be at least worthy of an interview.
Reply 10
Original post by Vorlexx
Ha it's so weird that I just decided to look for this thread on the day it became active again.

What subject are you applying for? History
What are your GCSE grades and A level predicted grades? Got 2 9s, 6 A*s (most of which would be 9s if they'd been the new ones), and an A for GCSE. Predicted 3A*s for A level.

What subject-related activities or supercurriculars have you done? Basically just read tons of books, which I always did for fun anyway. Popped into some lectures and masterclasses. Nothing massive.

Why Trinity? 1) Money 2) Pretty & big 3)I think STEM people are hotter and there are more of those at Trinity.

What other universities are you applying to? Durham, Bristol, Manchester (might add Sheffield to the mix); have offers from Bristol & Manchester, neither of which will stop sending me emails and leaflets in the post trying to get me to choose them like two obsessive stalkers from some terrible daytime soap opera.

Have you heard back from Trinity on interviews? They did give me one; I think I must have been one of the first because i was one of the first in my school to hear from Cambridge at all, and I was scheduled in the morning on the first day they do interviews.

Hahahahaha that’s so funny Bristol have sent me so many things by email too! Lol such scallywags
Reply 11
Original post by deltaepsilon
I am very sorry.

I was also rejected without interview I too, believing my application to be at least worthy of an interview.

What are your A level predicted grades and GCSEs?
Original post by GreenCub
What are your A level predicted grades and GCSEs?

Not taking A-levels or GCSEs. I am an EU applicant, but according to the Cambridge website EU applicants are also invited if deemed to have a realistic chance of admission.

I currently have a 95% weighted average, and my predicted grades for maths are all the equivalent of A*'s (included by my mathematics teacher on the reference). I have done my national olympiad, placing just outside the top 50 out of approx. 20,000 participants (this is verified by a diploma).

To be honest I don't understand how I was rejected without even being interviewed.
Not taking A-levels or GCSEs. I am an EU applicant, but according to the Cambridge website EU applicants are also invited if deemed to have a realistic chance of admission.

I currently have a 95% weighted average, and my predicted grades for maths are all the equivalent of A*'s (included by my mathematics teacher on the reference). I have done my national olympiad, placing just outside the top 50 out of approx. 20,000 participants (this is verified by a diploma).

To be honest I don't understand how I was rejected without even being interviewed.

Same bro, its unfair.
I feel I at least have the right to show myself given my grades
Same bro, its unfair.
I feel I at least have the right to show myself given my grades

Really feels that way, yes. I had heard about people being rejected from Trinity before interview, but I thought that the majority of people were given interviews, even if their application was lacking.

Seems to me that the "everyone with a realistic chance is interviewed"-mantra isn't entirely true, at least not for Trinity.
Really feels that way, yes. I had heard about people being rejected from Trinity before interview, but I thought that the majority of people were given interviews, even if their application was lacking.

Seems to me that the "everyone with a realistic chance is interviewed"-mantra isn't entirely true, at least not for Trinity.

You also have to bear in mind that colleges only have so much capacity for interviewing, and Cambridge as a whole is receiving increasing numbers of applications year on year so I'd imagine that stands true of individual colleges too. Competition is tough, and sometimes that's just how it works out. You can request feedback but you won't receive it until after the admissions round (January onward).

To you and others - try not to be too disheartened! The fact you're even applying to Cambridge suggests you're really strong students and will thrive wherever you may end up (and there's nothing to stop you getting to Cambridge at post-grad level!). :smile:
Good grades & predicted grades do help but for University such as Cambridge I don’t think that’s will be enough. They are looking for student with high potential not just in the UK but also from around the world. Super curriculum activities and personal interest and motivation will also play a main part. A good reference also requires what your current school teachers can tell the admission team about your potential and based on what evidence the teachers could provide. Admission assessment is also crucial as these are set specifically to distinguish between applicants with similar credentials on the UCAS & SAQ. Also Trinity is also a very popular and competitive College and attract a lot of extremely well qualified applicants. Anyone who got invited for an interview if they performed well would be very likely to get an offered through the winter pool at the very least if not directly offered from Trinity!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Deggs_14
Hahahahaha that’s so funny Bristol have sent me so many things by email too! Lol such scallywags

You guys obviously didn't opt out of junk emails on the UCAS form
Mathematics
Maths, Further, Computer Science(Predicted A*AA cause my school dont like predicting A*s) GCSE's are poor so I wont bother
I chose Trinity cause I wanna be in a place where its as competitive as possible
Interview invite was send on 13/11/2019 and its for 10/12/2019
Reply 19
*International Applicant
What subject are you applying for?
Engineering (H100)
What are your GCSE grades and A level predicted grades?
11A* 2A (in that is a 7 and a 9 for the new system) for GCSEs
Predicted 4A* (FM, Math, Physics, Chemistry) for A Level
What subject-related activities or supercurriculars have you done?
Robotics team captain, hosted some societies in the school, research projects, work shadowing etc
Why Trinity?
Money (both for student support and research funding)
What other universities are you applying to?Imperial Design Eng, Imperial Materials Science and Eng, Bristol Engineering Design, UCL Mech Eng with Business Finance
Interview invite received on 15/11 for 13/12!
Does anybody have tips for Trinity’s own engineering test given the time limit and the lack of any data and formula booklets? It does seem quite hard...
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending