The Student Room Group

What is A Level Geography like for someone who has never done it before?

I didn't take Geography for GCSE but I have the chance to take it at A Level. Would it interest me? Would I find it difficult catching up? I have no real interest in rocks or maps but do have one in the impacts of geographical events on society. Is there any of that in A Levels?
I took it at GCSE and then A-Level and still found it difficult. I did pretty well overall, but it's much harder and requires more focus than other subjects, with all those case studies and memorising the steps of landforms and whatnot. The workload is greater than all of the other subjects, which is mentioned on other threads too.

I'm guessing you mean hazards and earthquakes by geographical events, which is what most people find interesting and do well in, but that would be like 1/4 or 1/8 of the course considering the two years you spend, and the rest is on a range of other things - population, coasts, landforms, global health, globalisation, because you did 50% of the work on physical geography and the rest on human. For me, it really was a headache.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by _Lizabeth_
I took it at GCSE and then A-Level and still found it difficult. I did pretty well overall, but it's much harder and requires more focus than other subjects, with all those case studies and memorising the steps of landforms and whatnot. The workload is greater than all of the other subjects, which is mentioned on other threads too.

I'm guessing you mean hazards and earthquakes by geographical events, which is what most people find interesting and do well in, but that would be like 1/4 or 1/8 of the course considering the two years you spend, and the rest is on a range of other things - population, coasts, landforms, global health, globalisation, because you did 50% of the work on physical geography and the rest on human. For me, it really was a headache.

Yeah, it sounds like a bit of a headache. Thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest