The Student Room Group

Why do my eyes feel weird when reading?

It's quite hard to explain but whenever I read, it doesn't hurt and it doesn't look blurred and the picture isn't double or anything but it feels like it does when you cross you're eyes, which makes reading very uncomfortable. It decreases my reading speed quite a lot and makes it uncomfortable to read. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

IT could be many things
The light may be poor, you may be tired, you probably need an eye test to start with
Maybe you need glasses
Reply 3
Does closing one eye or moving the text away or closer helps?
Probably you need some assistance with reading, either glasses or eye exercises, it sounds a lot like a convergence issue with your eyes. Could be just from tiredness but it could get worse over time if untreated. Visit your optician for a check up and explain your concerns.
Reply 4
Original post by Kathy89
Does closing one eye or moving the text away or closer helps?
Probably you need some assistance with reading, either glasses or eye exercises, it sounds a lot like a convergence issue with your eyes. Could be just from tiredness but it could get worse over time if untreated. Visit your optician for a check up and explain your concerns.

It helps to read with only one eye and I do have glasses for short sightedness (aka I can't see distance) I went to the optician like a month ago and they said all was fine
Reply 5
did they check your vision for upclose too?
Reply 6
Original post by Kathy89
did they check your vision for upclose too?

Yeh they just said it was fine because I can read but I just find it harder to read over long periods of time
Reply 7
you need a proper eye exam.
you may need different prescription for upclose.
When did you last have your eyes tested? It is so important to have them checked regularly.
Sounds to me that you may need glasses, but an optician would be able to advise you better after carrying out a thorough eye test.
Remember we must look after our eyes!!!!
Original post by Fliw42
It's quite hard to explain but whenever I read, it doesn't hurt and it doesn't look blurred and the picture isn't double or anything but it feels like it does when you cross you're eyes, which makes reading very uncomfortable. It decreases my reading speed quite a lot and makes it uncomfortable to read. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks

Time for an eye test!
Reply 10
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Time for an eye test!

I've had a full examination eye test at Boots opticians and I have -0.75 glasses for seeing distance and my last check-up was a month ago (when I still had this issue) and they didn't mention anything about it. Do you know what I should do?
do you find easier reading with or without glasses?
Original post by Fliw42
I've had a full examination eye test at Boots opticians and I have -0.75 glasses for seeing distance and my last check-up was a month ago (when I still had this issue) and they didn't mention anything about it. Do you know what I should do?

No one on tsr will give you specific advice and even those that are qualified to do so won’t diagnose you without seeing you.
If you are having problems then you should go back to the opticians and be polite but firm in telling them that you have a problem that needs sorting. If they can’t help or diagnose then they will refer you to someone who can
Original post by Fliw42

maybe you have something called visual stress. my university assesses people for free. maybe look it up, its quite common and can be helped it different coloured paper overlays
Original post by Jhanchett
maybe you have something called visual stress. my university assesses people for free. maybe look it up, its quite common and can be helped it different coloured paper overlays

Are you talking about Irlen Syndrome? It usually has different symptoms.
I get exactly those symptoms and I get visual stress
I get exactly those symptoms and I set visual stress

I have very similar symptoms with and without glasses, and it was eye fatigue. I think we are talking about the same thing.
What colored filter were you prescribed?
You might need glasses
Original post by Kathy89
I have very similar symptoms with and without glasses, and it was eye fatigue. I think we are talking about the same thing.
What colored filter were you prescribed?

I'm sky blue but it has to be so dark. What one do you use?
I'm sky blue but it has to be so dark. What one do you use?

I don't. I'm going to a seminar on Irelen Syndrome soon, so I'll be tested and will see if I need any.
Meanwhile, I'm using progressives when I have to do both distance and upclose activities a lot during the day. Usually I only wear distance glasses and read or work on a computer without glasses, unless I have to do it for a long time.
The progressives help a lot, I see perfect with them, but maybe a filter can help too.

Quick Reply

Latest