The Student Room Group

A level psychology or biology?

I want to do a psychology degree at university and my choices are maths, psychology and spanish but I have been told that biology is also good, so what do you think I should do, psychology or biology?
Original post by Arquitecto78
I want to do a psychology degree at university and my choices are maths, psychology and spanish but I have been told that biology is also good, so what do you think I should do, psychology or biology?

Either is fine.

Do the one you enjoy more and think you'll do better in. That's the most important thing.
Reply 2
If you want to do Psychology in university then I highly suggest you picking Psychology in A-levels.

1. Most of the things they'll teach you in university, you'll already know, due to the fact that most of their modules relate to A-level psychology.
2. It's fun and easy to understand if you have a passion towards it.
3. There's already some biology towards psychology that you'll learn. E.g Psychopathology, Bio-psychology and the Biological Approach.
4. Some unis do require you to take psychology as an A-level in order for you to do it in University. (However, I wouldn't stress on this too much as that's only top ranking universities)

Also psychology as a whole doesn't really link to Biology in general. There's a lot of aspects like criminal behavior, forensics and even research methods that don't necessarily link with Biology as a whole. For an example, yes criminal behavior can be linked with nature (Genes/biology) but there's also the aspect of nurture (Environment)
(edited 4 years ago)

I’m taking psychology at an RG uni. I took psychology, biology and English lit. I would advise from your choices to do both psychology and biology, and then either maths or chemistry. Drop Spanish. Only do 3 subjects however, and make sure you enjoy them
Original post by TheOnlyIzzy
I’m taking psychology at an RG uni. I took psychology, biology and English lit. I would advise from your choices to do both psychology and biology, and then either maths or chemistry. Drop Spanish. Only do 3 subjects however, and make sure you enjoy them

Spanish is, unfortunately, the only subject I can't drop as it's an easy A* for me due to my background
Spanish is, unfortunately, the only subject I can't drop as it's an easy A* for me due to my background

Okay, then how about Psychology, biology and Spanish. Maths and chemistry are the least useful of your options then for psychology degree
Original post by TheOnlyIzzy
Okay, then how about Psychology, biology and Spanish. Maths and chemistry are the least useful of your options then for psychology degree

Are you sure, I've seen that Psychology tends to be pretty maths-based
Are you sure, I've seen that Psychology tends to be pretty maths-based

Yeah I took psychology and now I’m taking it at uni. It’s got maths in it sure, but nothing harder than GCSE statistics, and basic means, medians and mode and reading a bar graph.

Quick Reply