The Student Room Group

Medicine without chemistry?

I'm taking alevel Biology, math and psychology but regret not taking chemistry (it's too late to change) as I really want to go into medicine, I've looked and there's a couple unis that allow you to do medicine with just biology but was wondering if it's likely to be accepted with only biology? or if biology only students would be at a disadvantage?
Reply 1
It isn’t impossible.
Original post by 01beth
I'm taking alevel Biology, math and psychology but regret not taking chemistry (it's too late to change) as I really want to go into medicine, I've looked and there's a couple unis that allow you to do medicine with just biology but was wondering if it's likely to be accepted with only biology? or if biology only students would be at a disadvantage?

You're at a huge disadvantage in not having Chemistry and have reduced your chances of admission because you've got so few places to apply for.

Did your school not advise you to take Chemistry if you were planning on reading medicine at Uni?!
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
You're at a huge disadvantage in not having Chemistry and have reduced your chances of admission because you've got so few places to apply for.

Did your school not advise you to take Chemistry if you were planning on reading medicine at Uni?!

I applied late so had really little choice in subjects as most of them were full, although now chem isn't full as people have dropped out it's now too late too change
You could do a science degree and build up your chemistry knowledge in college, and then apply for graduate medicine
https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/foundation-year/entry-requirements/academic-2020
This would suit your profile^
Although this would be highly competitive, and you need to be realistic about the probabilities etc. So I would say to go into medicine as a graduate (as already recommended).
Other than that, some foundation years don’t strictly require chemistry, but you need to do your research on this.
Original post by 01beth
I applied late so had really little choice in subjects as most of them were full, although now chem isn't full as people have dropped out it's now too late too change

Oh dear. And you're sure you can't start now? As says, you do still have some options so it's not game over. It's just a bit harder than it needed to be.
That is true, should have been more explicit on my part!

Quick Reply

Latest