The Student Room Group

Can your school hold your UCAS application 'hostage'?

My sixth form has been refusing to send forward applications unless the unis are chosen by them. They've threatened to delete accounts if it wasn't completed by last Friday (15/11/19). Is this allowed?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I dont know whether they can or not but I very much doubt they will be able to and I suspect any teachers doing so would get themselves into serious problems under professional misconduct should they do so including possibly being struck off the register. Maybe @PQ and @Muttley79 might be able to give you better advice on this issue.
I very highly doubt they’d be allowed to do that, that’s gotta be some kind of misconduct there. Tbf once you get track access you can substitute choices for others I think so I’d look into whether you can do that for all 5 choices or not if your application is still being held ‘hostage’ in a couple of weeks. So all might not be lost? Either way, what they’re doing is immoral at least and should be reported to a higher authority once your application has gone off
Original post by ayduh.h
My sixth form has been refusing to send forward applications unless the unis are chosen by them. They've threatened to deleted account if it wasn't completed by last Friday (15/11/19). Is this allowed?

I don't believe you.
Original post by ayduh.h
My sixth form has been refusing to send forward applications unless the unis are chosen by them. They've threatened to deleted account if it wasn't completed by last Friday (15/11/19). Is this allowed?

It is your application - the only input we would have is advising people if none of their choices are sensible ie they are applying to AAA unis with CCC-type predictions. Even then we wouldn't change it

What do your parents say?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
It is your application - the only input we would have is advising people if none of their choices are sensible ie they are applying to AAA unis with CCC-type predictions. Even then we wouldn't change it

What do your parents say?

my parents really aren't happy about it but they've done it to many others, especially those applying medicine and Oxbridge.
Original post by ayduh.h
my parents really aren't happy about it but they've done it to many others, especially those applying medicine and Oxbridge.

Is this a Private school? PM me if you prefer.
Original post by ayduh.h
My sixth form has been refusing to send forward applications unless the unis are chosen by them. They've threatened to delete accounts if it wasn't completed by last Friday (15/11/19). Is this allowed?

I don't think that can possibly be allowed. It is your UCAS application. They should hopefully be discussing/helping with you things like your desired unis and courses and whether these are appropriate for your grades. Most schools/colleges will have deadlines when UCAS should be submitted but these are only because they will have so many to get through and they will need checking and references added, etc. If your sixth form us trying to get offers for certain unis to make them look good then that is out of order. You need to nip this is the bud now. Don't be pushed around by your school/college. Good luck!
Nope, not allowed. The applicant decides where they want to apply, not the school. The worst the school could do is refuse to provide a reference in the first instance.

Public schools do like to show off where their students have offers from, regardless of their actual destination. But I’m sure in this case they have nothing but the best interests of their students at heart. Cough.
Get it in writing.

Do what they ask.

As soon as you get access to Track substitute your choices and withdraw ALL access to your application for your centre (ring UCAS and ask them to remove all access to UCAS Adviser Track).

Then formally complain to the board of governors.
Reply 10
Welp, not much I can do about that lol. Have a nice evening though!
Original post by Reality Check
I don't believe you.
Original post by ayduh.h
Welp, not much I can do about that lol. Have a nice evening though!

Out of interest what universities do you want to go to and where do they want you to go. What are you predicted grades. @PQ could OP cancel the application and apply independently. If so who could be used for a reference ie former teacher etc. This could take all the school's power away.
Original post by Reality Check
I don't believe you.

That isn't very helpful. If you don't believe them, just don't reply rather than possibly causing them to "doubt" themselves.
Original post by swanseajack1
Out of interest what universities do you want to go to and where do they want you to go. What are you predicted grades. @PQ could OP cancel the application and apply independently. If so who could be used for a reference ie former teacher etc. This could take all the school's power away.

The hassle of applying independently isn’t worth it IMO. Once OP has got access to Track they can amend everything necessary.

I would also recommend OP explicitly ask ucas to note on file that NOTHING can be disclosed to their school.

And to drag them over the coals with the governors who can fire the lot of them. That would stop future students getting put in this position.
Original post by Treetop321
That isn't very helpful. If you don't believe them, just don't reply rather than possibly causing them to "doubt" themselves.

Thank you for telling me what to post. I'll be sure to check in with you next time I'm ready to make a post to seek your approval.
Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1

my predicted grades are ABB I originally wanted to apply for Sheffield, UCL, Edinburgh, Brighton and Bath. I decided on Baths after one of my sixth form team members suggested it. After sending off my application and running it by them, they decided that I should remove Bath and find another university.
Original post by ayduh.h
my predicted grades are ABB I originally wanted to apply for Sheffield, UCL, Edinburgh, Brighton and Bath. I decided on Baths after one of my sixth form team members suggested it. After sending off my application and running it by them, they decided that I should remove Bath and find another university.

As soon as you application is sent off, you have 2 weeks where you can change all your choices and they can’t do anything about it. You can just put whatever they want for now.
Original post by ayduh.h

My son's predicted grades are also ABB and he has included Bath in his application. His reference has just been completed. He has included other unis with entry requirements that match his predictions or come close but there is no harm in being aspirational with one or two. Otherwise, how dothey expect you to be motivated. Good luck and hope you resolve it quickly so that you can concentrate on your studies.
Original post by ayduh.h

Aside from the practicalities and context of your application, on the surface level the issue of your school dictating your choices has been addressed above, and @PQ's advice will give you the necessary control over your application. In context though it sounds more as though your school is trying to encourage you to be more realistic in your choices.

For what course are you applying? I would note for most courses, absent any contextual flags, UCL, Edinburgh, Brighton, and Bath would probably be a stretch for someone with ABB predictions and might not be realistic to apply to four such "aspirational" choices. One or two, certainly, but if your school's advice is that you should switch Bath for a "safety" choice I think that is quite reasonable since you have what are probably four aspirational choices. At the end of the day, you want to select a range of course such that you have a very good chance of being made at least two offers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ayduh.h

Whilst it is your choice I can now see why your school wishes you to change your choice. UCL and Bath both normally ask for high grades and are not likely to make offers of ABB. These grades are also above the usual ask for Sheffield and Edinburgh who are a particularly difficult university to get into. Brighton tend to be a far lower ranked university. What subject are you looking for. Is it possible we could suggest choices you are more likely to get offers from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending