The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London (KCL) ~ Postgraduate Applicants for 2020 Entry

This thread is for everyone considering applying, or who has applied, to KCL for the September 2019 entry, specifically for Postgraduate study. Hopefully it can be a good hub for you to discuss any concerns, questions or anything else on your mind regarding the uni.

I have completed an MSc at KCL, and so can provide answers to general questions (NOT course specific questions). I may take a while responding given I work full time but nonetheless, feel free to fire away.

The information hub for postgraduates is located here: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/index.aspx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, i was just wondering if you could give me a rough idea of your opinion of whether i should bother applying for a MA in kings (For public policy & management - they want a 2:1)
(I apologise if its a bit unnecessarily long i'm just really confused and dont really know who to ask!)

I completed my undergrad and am taking a year off to build my CV. I'm working at a really big sustainability and textile company under HR and am running a couple of good projects here. I have a secured an internship at another well known micro-financing company for 2 months on top of that. Now although these cater particularly well to the course and what i wish to pursue i have an issue with my grades.

I unfortunately received a 2:2, albeit, its a high 2:2. Normally those with 2:2s don't really bother applying for masters but my predicaments a bit different. In both my second and third year right before my final assessments I had to deal with the sudden death of a close family member then my best friend. My reference can vouch for this and explain my predicament. In my transcript most my grades are 2:1s apart from 2 main essays (including dissertation). A 2:2 may also make me seem less academic than others but even as an undergrad I have 3 established publishing in journals ( I studied IR and published my IR related theoretical approaches in 3 peer reviewed journals). This could also show them that i am not lacking in the academic field so, could maybe also help in explaining that my 2:2 was nothing but sheer misfortune.

I know some universities are considerate about these and can be lenient towards specifics, like considering my other strengths. But i've been told kings is quite strict. If you dont meet the requirements then you're out irregardless of circumstance. So my question stands, whether you think i should bother applying? On top of that they require a £100 fees for application and i dont really want to risk losing £100 if i know they'll overlook my circumstance lol.
I understand it may be a bit specific lol but as a MA student i was wondering if you would have an idea if i should continue with my application or not. Thank you ever so kindly!!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
I am in the same situation. Recieved a 2:2 after facing some health issues during my BA. I even got a few mitigations as I had the right medical evidance and the University supported it. Not sure if I should bother applying for a MA at King's or not...
I’m in the same situation here...
Hi, anyone heard back from King's yet?

I applied for Data Science on the 10th October, 2nd reference submitted on 21st. Currently im a final year King's undergrad Com Sci student.

@u97, @Nokapoka, @Georgiosva in your situation I would call the admissions and explain your exact situation, they might give you an exception, you never know (may also depend on stuff like relevant work experience to compensate).
Original post by Mr Discuss
Hi, anyone heard back from King's yet?

I applied for Data Science on the 10th October, 2nd reference submitted on 21st. Currently im a final year King's undergrad Com Sci student.

@u97, @Nokapoka, @Georgiosva in your situation I would call the admissions and explain your exact situation, they might give you an exception, you never know (may also depend on stuff like relevant work experience to compensate).

Hi, I applied on the 30th of September for law and still haven't heard from them either. Wasn't required to submit any references for my course.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Has anyone applied for the MPH program?
Reply 7
Anyone have heard from KCL?
Original post by Ray1111
Anyone have heard from KCL?

Got an offer from them last week, took them a full 6 weeks
Reply 9
I have applied to kcl to do MSc in Cyber security on 05/11/2019.and haven't received an answer yet, the status of the application is received and being processed.
Reply 10
Got an offer on Friday (yesterday) !
Completed my application (with all references submitted) on 22 October.
Reply 11
Original post by algorythm
Got an offer from them last week, took them a full 6 weeks

Which course did you apply for?
Original post by Tjerk
Which course did you apply for?

I applied for the LLM
I got an offer for MA Political Economy two weeks ago.
Got an offer for Emerging Economies and International Development MSc last Friday!
Original post by JasonYau0
Got an offer for Emerging Economies and International Development MSc last Friday!

Me too! Not yet sure if will accept it though! Where are you from? :smile:
Got my offer for Data Science about 10 days ago, about 3 weeks after my application!
Reply 17
Original post by Mr Discuss
Got my offer for Data Science about 10 days ago, about 3 weeks after my application!

Congratulation :smile:
What grade did you get for your Bachelor?
Original post by ham96
Congratulation :smile:
What grade did you get for your Bachelor?

Thanks.
Im still in my 3rd year, currently on a first class.
Original post by holabella
Me too! Not yet sure if will accept it though! Where are you from? :smile:

Neither, I’m at an ex poly but I’m from London so it works for me to commute.

Quick Reply

Latest