The Student Room Group

Veterinary nursing personal statement

I'm due to apply for a veterinary nursing course with SRUC in September and I'm stuck with how to layout my personal statement, I have made a detailed list of my work experience but I just can't seem to put it into a flowing statement, does anyone have any tips for me? TIA
Introduction: You need a few lines to grab attention and immediately set yourself apart from other applicants. Vague statements about loving science and animals do not do this, make sure it's personal.

Work experience should be the crux of the piece (50 - 70% I would say). Make sure it's abundantly clear how much you have done in total, then expand on a few placements (ideally in different areas, small and large animal. Ensure that you do not just list what you did, instead reflecting on what you learned and how this will make you a better vet nurse. Ensure that you explain why specifically you want to be a nurse, and not a vet, physiotherapist, zookeeper etc or other job working with animals.

Your extra curricular paragraph should help to show how you can balance your time out and that you have a life outside of studying, but ensure that you link everything back to a skill, e.g. teamwork, problem solving, quick thinking, leadership, dedication etc etc.

Your conclusion should wrap everything up and finish with something memorable and unique to you.

Voila :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi, I know its a mega late reply but how did you get on? I'm applying for Vet Nursing at SRUC too and I'm wondering what they're looking for specifically?
Reply 3
Original post by jdowie26
Hi, I know its a mega late reply but how did you get on? I'm applying for Vet Nursing at SRUC too and I'm wondering what they're looking for specifically?

I haven't applied for SRUC, but did apply to Bristol for 2020 start and got an unconditional offer the beginning of November.
The main advice I would give to you, if you haven't already sent in your application, is make it personal! We had several university talks at college and they would often mention people basically explaining what the career is in the personal statment and not linking anything back to themselves. Work experience is a huge part of Veterinary Nursing so this should definitely be a big part. I think I would say I did about 60% work experience. 15% achievements. 15% hobbies and interests, and the last 10% on what my career goal is, why I want to be a vet nurse and how the degree will benefit me. I used up all of the 4000 characters. Definitely make it quality over quantity though! Feel free to ask any questions.
Reply 4
Make sure you link everything back to veterinary nursing too! For example if you said you had a hobby like dance (just a random choice!), don't just put you like dance. You need to find a way that impacts Veterinary nursing and is really specific, such as, if you often take part in dance competitions, you could say that shows you are up for challenges and with vet nurses regularly experiencing challenges at work, you feel like you would be able to cope well with these, as this is one of the skills you are best at. Obviously in more detail though! Try and not rabble on with one hobby or achievement,even if it is your all time favourite, as that can make them seem quite boring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending