The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 90LucyRocks123
I have just received an email from elsewhere evidence, claiming that they were doing a "sample check" to see where you live. It will ask for a screenshot of your bank statements and your address, IT IS A SCAM be careful, they even had the correct student reference number, but its a lie. BE super Careful people. x

Oh my god really?! I’ve just posted a question about this. I’ve been crying thinking I commit Fraud accidentally. How do you know it’s a scam?
I noticed that there were no and I mean no traces it of it anywhere on the internet, I study computing and had a little dig. on my student finance account and there is normally a record of them sending me an email. It’s all rubbish. I thought I’d done something wrong too!! Honestly was so lucky I just had a deeper look. There’s lots of fake “verified” SFE Helper accounts on student room telling you it’s legit too, but it isn’t. Be so very careful !
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 90LucyRocks123
I noticed that there were no and I mean no traces it of it anywhere on the internet, I study computing and had a little dig. on my student finance account and there is normally a record of them sending me an email. It’s all rubbish. I thought I’d done something wrong too!! Honestly was so lucky I just had a deeper look. There’s lots of fake “verified” SFE Helper accounts on student room telling you it’s legit too, but it isn’t. Be so very careful !

I noticed that In this email they said dear “surname” but in my other emails from student finance they say dead “first name”. Also there wasn’t a student finance England logo in the corner. Also I would have thought they’d want people to send the documents physically not send screenshots etc because your birth certificate etc you have to send physically. I’m going to ring student finance in morning cause they might not be aware of it. I googled elsewhere evidence and that seems to be a real thing but I couldn’t find anything about the emails specifically
Please forward this to [email protected] so they can look into it! That’s what I did with mine and I tweeted SFE about it too, since I’ve never heard of it before after 3 years and all of the posts I am seeing are on here, within the last month. If enough of us do this hopefully they will put out a statement like the others I have seen/been sent by my university.
I don't think it's a scam, I've been selected for a sample check & I contacted student finance to confirm it was legit
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Gennalauren
I don't think it's a scam, I've been selected for a sample check & I contacted student finance to confirm it was legit

Did they actually say it was legit?
Original post by KayKarma
Did they actually say it was legit?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah I spoke to them too, it really is legit lmao

Spoiler

Original post by KayKarma
Yeah I spoke to them too, it really is legit lmao

Those who ignore it will have their funding stopped 🙈
The email is real. I just contacted student finance directly and they confirmed, the company sending the email is not student finance england its the student loans company which is where your loan comes from. Go on student finance website if you need to be sure and get a number directly from them and call them and ask. They will tell you the same, theres been a random check of about 40,000 students.
I’ve had a letter sent in the post now and am unsure if to do so as it says a reference number and my name? Is it legit
I got the email and a text but it just seems weird and fishy. I don't want to send random companies bank details
Reply 13
Everyone, don’t listen to the people on this thread claiming that’s its real. If you look at all of their accounts, they were just made this month and the only posts they have are about the elsewhere evidence email. They’re probably part of the scam.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Meganfrost123
I’ve had a letter sent in the post now and am unsure if to do so as it says a reference number and my name? Is it legit

I recieved a letter too and now they have reaccessed my student finance. I keep telling people if theh dont believe me contact student finance directly yourself without clicking any of the links that have been sent or anything in the letters and ask them , that way you know youre not falling into a scam and you get a legit answer, thats what i did and they told me its legit but do it for yourself
Reply 15
Im shaky because everything points to it being 100% a scam but then i see the reps commenting its legit? how easy is it to become a rep on this site
Its real i recieved at letter
Original post by Jiiny
Everyone, don’t listen to the people on this thread claiming that’s its real. If you look at all of their accounts, they were just made this month and the only posts they have are about the elsewhere evidence email. They’re probably part of the scam.

Part of the scam?🤣 Do you have something to hide? Why don't you just ring student loans company yourself
can you post a picture of the fake email
Student finance are doing a random elsewhere sample check. They are asking for evidence to prove you’re actually living elsewhere and if you don’t reply, your application will be reassessed for parental rate maintenance loan which is less overall for the year. Anyone not comfortable sending a screenshot of their bank statement can instead attach a receipt from the accommodation or landlord showing a payment was made. Send that along with your contact and you will be fine and a bank statement won’t be required.

If you aren’t sure and want to check before sending evidence then call student finance as your account will be noted to confirm if you’re part of the sample check.

Latest

Trending

Trending