The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster uni interviews

Can anyone tell me the probability of getting called for an interview for the BSc Physics, Astronomy and Cosmology degree? I read somewhere that the interviews are for people they might want to give an unconditional to - is this true?
Hia
I’m not sure if it’s the same for other subjects but I received an offer for sociology them a few weeks later was told I had an interview for the Unconditional Offer scheme.
So yes interviews are only to secure unconditional offers I believe.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Ahhh cool! Thanks for replying. Have you had your interview yet? :smile:
No not yet mines on the 10th of December ! I Have been sent things to prepare for the interview too which is quite helpful rather than going in blind haha
Lancaster does interviews for all of their Physics intake, so you'll definitely be having an interview if they're thinking about offering you a place. (Unless it's changed in the past 2 or so years)
Reply 5
Original post by Joe1000000
Lancaster does interviews for all of their Physics intake, so you'll definitely be having an interview if they're thinking about offering you a place. (Unless it's changed in the past 2 or so years)

Well I’ve got that to look forward to then! (Provided i even get to that stage :/ )
Hi might be able to give an insight a little bit here. @maddidaisy @Beccawil106. Daughter had her interview last week (physics particle and cosmology MA) in the first wave of interview slots.
From date of applying from when the invite came took about 3 -4weeks. When you arrive there, arrive around 9.20.am onwards. we got there at 9.15am and the students in yellow jackets who give you/guest a parking permit at south west campus didnt arrive until this time. Then theres a free bus which takes you to the underpass under Alexandra square. From there you walk to physics, guided by the students in blue t-shirts.
Then in the physics building you sign in at a desk there, have tea/coffee/ juice in the atrium. Then talks on courses, options, departmental tours and so forth. then have buffet lunch provided by the uni which is so nice. You also get to speak with students and also staff there. We asked questions on the accommodation for 2nd year onwards, and different societies.
Then around 1pm you split from your guest for an interview. I had a talk on the history of the uni, and also a talk about the internships and work experiences. For the interview. you will get asked questions physics/maths based and also on the personal statement.
As for the unconditional, they do want to see what type of offer they want to offer after they interview you, and an uncondiontional is one of them. But I would just go on the day with the mindset that its 'very likely' you will get an offer, but as to what offer it is unclear until afterwards.

The day finished at 3.30pm. with optional tour at the end.

If you havent heard back yet from Lancaster if you have applied, (or in some cases ive heard some people having a thanks and will let you know if you have an interview later down the line in the coming months). if thats the case, dont worry too much. The days there,was not too many students (around 20-22) .On one of the talks they said they admitted around 140 students for physics and the braches of physics So there will be a quite a few interview days in the next coming months.:smile:

Not sure on the sociology, but I would imagine its a similar type of outlay. So good luck, and wishing you all the best :smile:
As for probability, that would be down to personal statement, grades you have so far and possible predicted. BSC i think is AAB? so if your hitting that mark or there abouts you have a good chance :smile:
Reply 8
@Ghostlady Thank you so much that’s really helpful! I hope your daughter gets where she wants to be! :smile:
Hi everyone,
I've worked at some applicant visit/interview days and @Ghostlady's description seems super similar to what I've seen and helped to run! Just to add that if you're doing a science you'll probably get a lab tour or be able to take part in a simple experiment. Also the main applicant visit day/interview season is January-March so don't panic if you haven't got any interviews yet. I believe everyone on the Physics course is interviewed, but take that as a good sign. The interviews are more than anything a way for you to come visit and help you to decide where to go and ask any questions! There should be lots of current students which are probably the most invaluable part of these days!
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions at all.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Reply 10
Thanks Charlotte, about to send off my ucas so was just looking around to see the process each uni takes as I know it can be very different :smile:
Original post by maddidaisy
Thanks Charlotte, about to send off my ucas so was just looking around to see the process each uni takes as I know it can be very different :smile:

Hi,
No worries - good luck with your application! From what I've heard, our interview process is a lot more relaxed than a lot of more traditional places.
Charlotte :smile:

Quick Reply