The Student Room Group

muslim and started drinking alcohol - am I a bad muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RogerOxon
They should read the rules.

As it stands there are no written rules for the use of anon.
Original post by Anonymous
If alcohol is contained within an item, that no matter how much you consume you won't get drunk, then it's fine. But if it's a product that actually has enough alcohol, that you would get drunk eventually from consuming it, then it is haram, regardless of how little is in the product.

This makes next to no sense and is predicated on absurd hypotheticals. It is perfectly possible to regularly drink alcohol without ever getting drunk, or even tipsy. It’s about knowing your limits and having self-control. And so thus this kind of drinking shouldn’t be disallowed.
You're not at all a bad Muslim. Because no religon is bad so muslims is not bad or good. The bad act you did is that you've disobeyed your religion teachings. As long as you follow what your religion forbids you and allow you then you are a good person in any religion you practise ! I'm a Muslim and I love Christianity becacuse my religion Islam teaches me to be affectionate toward other religons ! Make sure you don't disobey what you're not permitted to do !
(edited 4 years ago)
if you have a strong faith allah swt will help you come away from this sin but this is not one sided and you must repent from this sin and leave it allah is all forgiving but you will need to repent . you surely want to go to heaven if yes then stop and try your best but subhanallah temptation can be tricky and some times you will fall back into the sin . try my best brother/ sister
Also please discuss and talk on issues related to academic point of view. Here ppl have started posting threads that have created more hate ! Respect your religion what God have blessed you with ! It's a benefit for you only if you knew ! Every religon is beautiful because in every religon your ultimate goal is to please one God . There's only one God but yes there are different ways and every religon tend to point to that same thing. Find ways to reach him more and more everyday and you can see miracles in your life. But don't disrespect any religion. Be affectionate , be respectful :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Well this thread is a car crash, OP you should’ve known better lmao
as the title says
I have strong faith altho I don't pray as often as I should but I've started drinking since I came to uni in September and always regret it after I do it.
idk why I do it, i feel like it's to fit in. I'll always say ok I'm not gonna drink tonight if I'm going out but will always end up doing so. then when I come home I feel so **** after the night out thinking wtf am I doing. I want to pray but then my prayers are invalid.
any help or advice is appreciated cause I feel so **** about it

You can believe in God while still drinking alcohol, being gay and having pre-marital sex. It just means you’re non-practising
Original post by anonymity5
if you have a strong faith allah swt will help you come away from this sin but this is not one sided and you must repent from this sin and leave it allah is all forgiving but you will need to repent . you surely want to go to heaven if yes then stop and try your best but subhanallah temptation can be tricky and some times you will fall back into the sin . try my best brother/ sister

thank you
Original post by agentofchaos
(no religion is bad) implies (all religion is good) [x] Doubt
How did (no religion is bad) implied (muslims is not bad or good)?
and I thought (disobedience in religion) implies (bad in religion) in common sense? Correct me if you think I'm wrong.
Also obedience alone doesn't satisfy one to be a Good faithful believers/munin.

Don't hold doubt in your heart , you can accept it if you've a good heart.
When you try to say Muslims are bad or anyone else from religon is then you're trying to point out what their religion had taught you , why are you particularly disobeying your religion? Better to find fault within yourselves instead of pointing out directly to your religion etc.
As long as you follow what you're told from your religion the yes you are whole a good person !
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
As it stands there are no written rules for the use of anon.

Here you go:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=how_pay_someone_else#faq_general_post_anon
This is to allow members to discuss and/or share experiences about sensitive issues that they may not wish to have identified with their account. For example, many members wish to seek advice on health or relationship issues, but without the anonymous function would be wary of doing so for fear that people they know in real life or through the forum would find out information that they would rather keep personal.
(no religion is bad) implies (all religion is good) [x] Doubt
How did (no religion is bad) implied (muslims is not bad or good)?
and I thoIught (disobedience in religion) implies (bad in religion) in common sense? Correct me if you think I'm wrong.
Also obedience alone doesn't satisfy one to be a Good faithful believers/munin.

I learnt since I was a child to have respect in your heart for every religon. I talk same with a Christian , a Muslim , or anyone practising other faiths. All faiths have one goal of reaching God. That's entirely depend on them how they practice and how good they're at. Eventually through making mistakes you do learn.
No, you are not a bad Muslim.

However, if you feel like drinking makes you unhappy and you would like to stop but it is really difficult for you, then you should try and see a GP to see what can be done to help with this. If it's making you feel awful about yourself and affecting your mental health i.e. makes you really depressed and anxious, seek professional help.

Unfortunately, there is a massive stigma around Muslims who drink alcohol or suffer from alcoholism (not saying you're an alcoholic btw) and it can be a hard topic to talk about so kudos for being able to talk about it.

There's also the fact that this thread is mostly likely going to be hijacked by people speaking against Islam and then other trying to defend it - it's a bit repetitive so definitely, acknowledge this is a common problem and that you're not bad.

All the best. :smile:
Original post by User135792468
You can believe in God while still drinking alcohol, being gay and having pre-marital sex. It just means you’re non-practising

Sounds like pretty good practice to me ..
Original post by RogerOxon
Here you go:

Not currently in force. Scroll to the bottom.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6212410&page=7
And you talk just about Alcohol . How many times we treat others with no respect ? Even that can be improved if ppl thought it was an important thing. Don't just talk about Alcohol. Christians if taking alcohol is because their religion permists , yours don't then don't do it. Respect your religion , if you can't then don't accept any religon because every religon is respectable !
(edited 4 years ago)
as the title says
I have strong faith altho I don't pray as often as I should but I've started drinking since I came to uni in September and always regret it after I do it.
idk why I do it, i feel like it's to fit in. I'll always say ok I'm not gonna drink tonight if I'm going out but will always end up doing so. then when I come

I mean might as well put a black cloak over your fridge and do hajj bro, don't need to go to madina/makkah
Reply 36
as the title says
idk why I do it, i feel like it's to fit in. I'll always say ok I'm not gonna drink tonight if I'm going out but will always end up doing so. then when I come home I feel so **** after the night out thinking wtf am I doing. I want to pray but then my prayers are invalid.
any help or advice is appreciated cause I feel so **** about it

That's because you think that being a muslim and being perfect and feeling guilty are all part of the deal. That means you need to dump "Islam" and start again with true Islam where mistakes are allowed actually and where compulsive behaviour csn take time to deal with! You didn't murder someone or f..k someone randomly did you? So chill snd relaunch the correct understsnding of your own religion or you will suffer! Religion, when you think about it properly, is not a list of does and dont's! If you think ot is then you will suffer every time you do or say something "wrong". And, by the way, ignore the judgers or preachers, they are not perfect either!
oh like idolatrys and bunch of other spiritualism/satanism ? Get your definition correct first.

What is the good religions to you?
oh like idolatrys and bunch of other spiritualism/satanism ? Get your definition correct first.

You can think about it whatever you want to. I will just say to have a grain of mustard seed respect for every religon. Because that's how we were meant to live in this cruel world.
Thank you.
(edited 4 years ago)
:frown:.

For one thing, be kind of glad(?) that what you're feeling is guilt. It shows that you still care for your deen and that your imaan is still pushing you to keep going!

Everyone sins, whether it's alcohol, zina, missing prayers, or even something as simple and easy to do as delaying your prayer. But what truly defines you is how you overcome your sin.

I'm not saying to completely ignore the guilt, because then you may lead yourself to close your heart completely. But dont let yourself wallow in your shame until it gets to a point where it's all consuming and you feel like theres no point in trying to be better since you wont be forgiven.

Believe me, it took me a long time to realise it, but Allah swt really will forgive you, even for the things you cant forgive yourself, if you just ask.

Make tawbah, and if you're still in a state of impurity (I've heard consumption of alcohol nulls the acceptance of prayer for 40 days but make sure to check on that yourself since I can't guarantee it) and at least make dua for now.

Shame, self disgust and the belief that God wont forgive you all stems from shaytaan, dont let him win this battle.

Sending dua for you g. This is so much longer than I planned but I hope you feel at least a tiny bit better and garnered some sort of motivation from this.

Wishing you the best! X

Quick Reply

Latest