The Student Room Group

muslim and started drinking alcohol - am I a bad muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Not currently in force. Scroll to the bottom.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6212410&page=7

Ta - I hadn't seen that. The FAQ should be updated.
Original post by Anonymous
:frown:.

For one thing, be kind of glad(?) that what you're feeling is guilt. It shows that you still care for your deen and that your imaan is still pushing you to keep going!

Everyone sins, whether it's alcohol, zina, missing prayers, or even something as simple and easy to do as delaying your prayer. But what truly defines you is how you overcome your sin.

I'm not saying to completely ignore the guilt, because then you may lead yourself to close your heart completely. But dont let yourself wallow in your shame until it gets to a point where it's all consuming and you feel like theres no point in trying to be better since you wont be forgiven.

Believe me, it took me a long time to realise it, but Allah swt really will forgive you, even for the things you cant forgive yourself, if you just ask.

Make tawbah, and if you're still in a state of impurity (I've heard consumption of alcohol nulls the acceptance of prayer for 40 days but make sure to check on that yourself since I can't guarantee it) and at least make dua for now.

Shame, self disgust and the belief that God wont forgive you all stems from shaytaan, dont let him win this battle.

Sending dua for you g. This is so much longer than I planned but I hope you feel at least a tiny bit better and garnered some sort of motivation from this.

Wishing you the best! X

thank you so much, really appreciate the advice!
Original post by agentofchaos
well you can use this common sense this time. Really bothering me having to make this another short post to an effortless and pointless reply man. I am Full of disappointment.

I mean you’re disagreeing with the simple thing of respecting other religions no matter they are (except obvious ones)
So I’m guessing you respect the three Abrahamic religions then?
I'm not going to sit here and say cut your friends off or stop leaving your room because that's both super extra and totally unnecessary.

However, if you do feel as though it's the particular influence of certain others that push you into drinking, at least set some barriers up first. E.g. if every single time you go out with Friend A to a club, you end up drinking, dont go with Friend A to a club, but dont completely cut a person off if they're still a nice person. If that makes sense?

At the end of the day, if your friends make you feel lame for not drinking, then they're the lame ones. It doesnt take alcohol to guarantee having a good time, so be the one to show them that!

Be confident in your decision not to drink and they'll be more likely to respect you for it, rather than you falling into the awkward guilt of drinking anyways, "just because".

May Allah swt keep us all firmly guided!
i think you are a kind of muslim who would leave the quran under a layer of dust.
Typical lovenothate cringy "muslim". A ****ing disgrace.

The words you've used shows to me that you've no respect for any religion .
Kindly learn that and then speak about anything you want to.
Thank you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yes your prayers are invalid, why would you abandon your faith to fit in?

That isn't true. Don't judge them. Prayer is between you + god. Everyone is on their own path. good luck
Reply 46
:frown:.

For one thing, be kind of glad(?) that what you're feeling is guilt. It shows that you still care for your deen and that your imaan is still pushing you to keep going!

Everyone sins, whether it's alcohol, zina, missing prayers, or even something as simple and easy to do as delaying your prayer. But what truly defines you is how you overcome your sin.

I'm not saying to completely ignore the guilt, because then you may lead yourself to close your heart completely. But dont let yourself wallow in your shame until it gets to a point where it's all consuming and you feel like theres no point in trying to be better since you wont be forgiven.

Believe me, it took me a long time to realise it, but Allah swt really will forgive you, even for the things you cant forgive yourself, if you just ask.

Make tawbah, and if you're still in a state of impurity (I've heard consumption of alcohol nulls the acceptance of prayer for 40 days but make sure to check on that yourself since I can't guarantee it) and at least make dua for now.

Shame, self disgust and the belief that God wont forgive you all stems from shaytaan, dont let him win this battle.

Sending dua for you g. This is so much longer than I planned but I hope you feel at least a tiny bit better and garnered some sort of motivation from this.

Wishing you the best! X

Guilt feelings, guilt feelings, what are they actually for? Absolutely nothing!
just continue living like sheep. I m tired of thinking of trying communicating with you.
my personal preference of when to terminate the conversation and say bye, your acceptance is necessary now.

Don't communicate ! Just Respect for other faiths ! That's what you've obligation to do. Thank you.
You are a very naughty boy 😡
^ anyone else scared
just continue living like sheep. I m tired of thinking of trying communicating with you.
My personal preference of when to terminate the conversation and say bye, your acceptance is necessary now.
To the edited post: I repped this i’m guessing you respect the three abrahamic religions then? G's post so you can figure it out yourself

I do respect every religon on the face of this earth because I was taught that from my religon. If you think you want to have the same perception read about your religion once again because your religion also teaches you the same.
Than you.
(edited 4 years ago)
No muslim is perfect and we all sin one way or another, we have no right to judge coz you never know who's repenting for their sins and begging for forgiveness behind closed doors. my honest opinion would be that if you are trying to better yourself then you could maybe try joining the Islamic society in your uni and maybe substitute your clubbing outings for non-alcoholic ones like dinner at Nando's or something 😂. Also, try to surround yourself with people who are going to benefit you spiritually and will genuinely help you to become a better muslim because they are less likely to drink (emphasis on 'less likely' before someone attacks me 😂😂).

Uni really tests how strong you are in your faith and as long as you are putting in the effort to become a better muslim, I see no reason for anyone to view you as a 'bad' one.

InSha'Allah one day you will have the strength to refrain from the temptation of alcohol. xx
as the title says
I have strong faith altho I don't pray as often as I should but I've started drinking since I came to uni in September and always regret it after I do it.
idk why I do it, i feel like it's to fit in. I'll always say ok I'm not gonna drink tonight if I'm going out but will always end up doing so. then when I come home I feel so **** after the night out thinking wtf am I doing. I want to pray but then my prayers are invalid.
any help or advice is appreciated cause I feel so **** about it
Reply 52
I think you are a kind of muslim who would leave the Quran under a layer of dust.
typical Lovenothate cringy "muslim". a ****ing disgrace.

You know that you are being ridiculous don't you and that you are disrespecting your own religion by displaying such hypocritical rudeness? Who would listen to you and look at Islam after listening to a so called "muslim" like you?
Reply 53
No muslim is perfect and we all sin one way or another, we have no right to judge coz you never know who's repenting for their sins and begging for forgiveness behind closed doors. my honest opinion would be that if you are trying to better yourself then you could maybe try joining the Islamic society in your uni and maybe substitute your clubbing outings for non-alcoholic ones like dinner at Nando's or something 😂. Also, try to surround yourself with people who are going to benefit you spiritually and will genuinely help you to become a better muslim because they are less likely to drink (emphasis on 'less likely' before someone attacks me 😂😂).

Uni really tests how strong you are in your faith and as long as you are putting in the effort to become a better muslim, I see no reason for anyone to view you as a 'bad' one.

InSha'Allah one day you will have the strength to refrain from the temptation of alcohol. xx

Uni tests you life? Uni has little bearing on life as, i guarantee you, you will find out!
This thread clearly shows that it's made entirely useless from someone whose even in question is un necessary. Tsr, please report it and don't let them post such threads which promotes hate and difference among other religions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by amaaynah
This thread clearly shows that it's made entirely useless from someone whose even in question is un necessary. Tsr, please report it and don't let them post such threads which promots hate and difference among other religions.

Yes. please report this latest stupid thread about muslim issues!
Original post by londonmyst
Do you apply this same line of thought to all religion or just one?
For example- would you advise a jehovah's witness not to compromise on JW religious teachings regarding refusing lifesaving blood transfusions.
Or that they should go knocking on random strangers front doors trying to get them to convert, as the JW religion teaches them to.

Islam teaches us to use rationale and common sense. Blood transfusions are to save a life, there is a big difference between saving a life and doing an act just to 'fit in'. Islam allows life saving exceptions, such as if alcohol was the only food item available, and without it you'd die, then yes you would be allowed, but only as much as would be needed to keep you alive. But Islam is not a religion for you to mess about with the rules in a way that suits you.

And regarding knocking on people's doors all religions teach their followers to spread their faith, but it doesn't say to go blindly knocking on everyone's doors. It teaches to use tact and wisdom in one's approach. E.g. Islam teaches that the best way to preach the religion is to practice it, not just go knocking on people's doors.
Original post by mgi
Yes. please report this latest stupid thread about muslim issues!

Ofcourse - questioning about your own religon which you were born with and asking such questions and please it's not about Muslims it's about people who you're and born with. Even the word 'muslim issues' can be replaced with a respectable word because remember no religon is bad or good. Every religon is respectable. It depends on you how you promote it through your actions or anything evident. Thank you.
Islam teaches us to use rationale and common sense. Blood transfusions are to save a life, there is a big difference between saving a life and doing an act just to 'fit in'. Islam allows life saving exceptions, such as if alcohol was the only food item available, and without it you'd die, then yes you would be allowed, but only as much as would be needed to keep you alive. But Islam is not a religion for you to mess about with the rules in a way that suits you.

And regarding knocking on people's doors all religions teach their followers to spread their faith, but it doesn't say to go blindly knocking on everyone's doors. It teaches to use tact and wisdom in one's approach. E.g. Islam teaches that the best way to preach the religion is to practice it, not just go knocking on people's doors.

I literally cried after reading it. It won my heart. So emotional , so beautiful, so deep. Very generous.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
This makes next to no sense and is predicated on absurd hypotheticals. It is perfectly possible to regularly drink alcohol without ever getting drunk, or even tipsy. It’s about knowing your limits and having self-control. And so thus this kind of drinking shouldn’t be disallowed.

You didn't understand. Certain medicines have alcohol, but the alcohol to other ingredients ratio is so great, that if you continuously kept taking these medicines, you could never get drunk, as the solution is so dilute. Whereas alcohol in say, whiskey, is great enough in concentration, that if you kept drinking it, you would eventually get drunk. Also, you mentioned knowing your limits, but how would you know your limits without getting drunk in the first place? And regarding self control, there are already so many people who are out of control with regards to alcohol intake, 40% of people in A&E are in due to alcohol related reasons, and as a medical student I've met many, so Muslims are better off on a ban on alcohol then relying on their self control

Quick Reply

Latest