The Student Room Group

muslim and started drinking alcohol - am I a bad muslim?

as the title says
I have strong faith altho I don't pray as often as I should but I've started drinking since I came to uni in September and always regret it after I do it.
idk why I do it, i feel like it's to fit in. I'll always say ok I'm not gonna drink tonight if I'm going out but will always end up doing so. then when I come home I feel so **** after the night out thinking wtf am I doing. I want to pray but then my prayers are invalid.
any help or advice is appreciated cause I feel so **** about it

Scroll to see replies

I feel the same... not at uni though and I've already started drinking (only done it twice but I don't even want to think about what I'll be like at uni). I feel bad but I still class my self as a muslim like I believe all the stuff it's just the rules on drinking and clothing I personally don't agree with
Original post by Anonymous
Yes your prayers are invalid, why would you abandon your faith to fit in?

How long are your prayers invalid for?
There's far worse ways to be a bad Muslim believe me.
Drinking may be wrong in your religion but it's far better than hurting somebody badly or dealing in corrupt ways.
So your probably not a bad Muslim yet. I'm not God so it's only my guess/opinion ofcourse but I believe I could be right.
No, you're not a bad Muslim at all. As long as you know your limits and don't lose control then it won't do much harm.
Reply 5
I feel the same... not at uni though and I've already started drinking (only done it twice but I don't even want to think about what I'll be like at uni). I feel bad but I still class my self as a muslim like I believe all the stuff it's just the rules on drinking and clothing I personally don't agree with

yeah igy :/ i feel so bad about it but i have fun... :/ its not like i go WILD and go f*ck random ppl and stuff
Why are you feeling guilty?
There is no compulsion in your religion and you are advised not to pray when you are drunk.

I have friends from six sects of islam that choose either to not consume alcohol or to drink it.
None of them feel guilty; they make their choice, stick with it and focus upon doing as many good deed to help other people as they can.
You have the choice how you practice your religion, how your interpret religious scripture and whether you want to consume alcohol.
Don't make a big issue of it.
Guilt should be reserved for more important matters. Feel guilty if you hurt someone else and don’t destroy yourself over the inconsequential stuff.
Yes your prayers are invalid, why would you abandon your faith to fit in?

Prove it.
Original post by RogerOxon
Prove it.

The poster is probably referring to the scriptural and hadith admonitions that warn believers not to do their prayers when they are drunk.
The next comment about abandoning faith sounds like an attempt at hyperbole designed to trigger panic or shame.
Easy to understand why the user chose to post under anonymous.
Original post by londonmyst
The poster is probably referring to the scriptural and hadith admonitions that warn believers not to do their prayers when they are drunk.

Agreed, but it isn't proof.

Original post by londonmyst
Easy to understand why the user chose to post under anonymous.

They should read the rules.
I know some Muslims that believe you can drink in moderation as long as it doesn't cause you to become intoxicated or anything.

Hardcore salafists don't have a monopoly on your religion, relax and do what you feel's right and makes you happy. :smile:
as the title says
I have strong faith altho I don't pray as often as I should but I've started drinking since I came to uni in September and always regret it after I do it.
idk why I do it, i feel like it's to fit in. I'll always say ok I'm not gonna drink tonight if I'm going out but will always end up doing so. then when I come home I feel so **** after the night out thinking wtf am I doing. I want to pray but then my prayers are invalid.

This is a common misconception amongst many muslims, Prayers are NOT invalid, you still need to pray them, you just won't get the reward for them. And if you commit these sins to 'fit in', then you need to give yourself a reality check and ask whether you actually have strong faith or not.

Stat educating yourself on Islam and learn your faith, instead of wasting time trying to 'fit in', as if you need to compromise your religion to fit in then you probably don't have much self identity, and are just following trends in the hopes of finding your identity
I know some Muslims that believe you can drink in moderation as long as it doesn't cause you to become intoxicated or anything.

Hardcore salafists don't have a monopoly on your religion, relax and do what you feel's right and makes you happy. :smile:

If alcohol is contained within an item, that no matter how much you consume you won't get drunk, then it's fine. But if it's a product that actually has enough alcohol, that you would get drunk eventually from consuming it, then it is haram, regardless of how little is in the product.
Why so many people on anon for?
If alcohol is contained within an item, that no matter how much you consume you won't get drunk, then it's fine. But if it's a product that actually has enough alcohol, that you would get drunk eventually from consuming it, then it is haram, regardless of how little is in the product.

Hence I wrote "in moderation" and "doesn't cause you to become intoxicated"... :smile:
as the title says

You can pray however you don’t gain reward from it. But you should still pray.

Also I’m guessing you feel like ur feeling distant from allah. The fact that u have noticed it and have some guilt shows you still have some hope and heart in you. Repent to Allah and ask him to guide you. My advice is just to ensure you get closer to him by praying all Salah and learning more about the religion. Only then can one be stronger and protected.

Truss me I feel you, I have been there too, not drinking but other stuff. You can pull through just ask Allah to forgive u and find some other friends who don’t get involved with haram.
It's your choice at the end of the day. If you want to stop drinking then it's up to you to decide.
why would you abandon your faith to fit in?

Their choice, but it seems like a good idea to abandon superstitious nonsense, IMO. You should give it a go.
learn your faith, instead of wasting time trying to 'fit in', as if you need to compromise your religion to fit in then you probably don't have much self identity, and are just following trends in the hopes of finding your identity

Do you apply this same line of thought to all religion or just one?
For example- would you advise a jehovah's witness not to compromise on JW religious teachings regarding refusing lifesaving blood transfusions.
Or that they should go knocking on random strangers front doors trying to get them to convert, as the JW religion teaches them to.

Quick Reply

Latest