The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Postgraduate 2020 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I had to contact my supervisor, applying for PhD History, and he chased them so it moved from verification pending to all details received. that was friday and now waiting again...
Hello - I just formally accepted my offer from the University of Edinburgh - I'll be in the MBA program.

I applied to a few other programs, the only one I haven't heard from is Glasgow, but Edinburgh was my top choice, so it all worked out.

I am really excited, though I am also feeling a little overwhelmed with the prospect of moving (I am in California) and finding nice accommodations. I don't think I am interested in the uni housing.
Original post by AwesomeJen
Hello - I just formally accepted my offer from the University of Edinburgh - I'll be in the MBA program.

I applied to a few other programs, the only one I haven't heard from is Glasgow, but Edinburgh was my top choice, so it all worked out.

I am really excited, though I am also feeling a little overwhelmed with the prospect of moving (I am in California) and finding nice accommodations. I don't think I am interested in the uni housing.

Congratulations!!!
How long did it take to hear back from them?
In terms of accommodation, Edinburgh seems to have a pretty good range of options (both private and uni-owned). Personally, I would like to live at Buccleuch Place, it's literally a 30 seconds walk to my department in George Square (Literatures, Languages and Culture)
Hi. I’m an American student and applied for an MScR on October 6th. My application has been received but nothing else...should I be concerned? Has everyone else heard?
Original post by taylor9888
Hi. I’m an American student and applied for an MScR on October 6th. My application has been received but nothing else...should I be concerned? Has everyone else heard?

Here's what Edi wrote on their website:
The time your application spends at each status will vary depending on how long it takes to gather the information needed to support your application, the number of applications we receive and whether your programme operates a closing date.

I'm guessing priority is given to programmes with early closing dates. Moreover, taught programmes are usually prioritised over research ones, because they typically have more applicants per place and bring in more money i.e. self-funding
Just a reminder that, if anybody has trouble contacting referees or university staff, it might be because of the ongoing UCU pension strike, which is scheduled to last until the end of this week.
Reply 26
Hello everyone! Does anyone have trouble in application? I submitted and received email from admissions office on 30th October but i received mail to complete application today. but when I checked EASE, it was already submitted and being processed. I sent enquiry mail to admissions office but no response yet:/
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Goji
Hello everyone! Does anyone have trouble in application? I submitted and received email from admissions office on 30th October but i received mail to complete application today. but when I checked EASE, it was already submitted and being processed. I sent enquiry mail to admissions office but no response yet:/

Yeah I got that too but I ignored it thinking it must be an error on their end. But my application has not updated at all since I submitted on October 18th :/
Reply 28
Original post by yoli1998
Yeah I got that too but I ignored it thinking it must be an error on their end. But my application has not updated at all since I submitted on October 18th :/

Yes. It makes me really nervous. Also They told me I should submit Final transcript and IELTS after few days later from then. but I was told It’s okay bc I am attending my last semester and offers can be made without IELTS. But they are still requiring on application page. It’s confusing and I hope they respond me soon.
Good luck for our application!
Original post by Goji
Yes. It makes me really nervous. Also They told me I should submit Final transcript and IELTS after few days later from then. but I was told It’s okay bc I am attending my last semester and offers can be made without IELTS. But they are still requiring on application page. It’s confusing and I hope they respond me soon.
Good luck for our application!

Yeah I hope its all okay and that email was just an error. I do think they are taking a while -- two other universities have got back to me now, and two others are under review at the moment and I submitted all at the same time. Update the chat on how it goes! Best of luck!
I just got my acceptance a few hours ago. American applicant living in East Asia. Applied mid-October, so approx 5 weeks for the whole process.
Original post by frankafru
I just got my acceptance a few hours ago. American applicant living in East Asia. Applied mid-October, so approx 5 weeks for the whole process.

I applied for Social Anthropology PhD. Been emailing my potential advisor and a few other profs for several months since....May or so this year.
I applied for Social Anthropology PhD. Been emailing my potential advisor and a few other profs for several months since....May or so this year.

Congrats
Have you applied for any internal funding?
Original post by Solipsis
Congrats
Have you applied for any internal funding?

Thank you!

I tried to, and I specified that on the app, but I am apparently "ineligible" for any other internal funding :/ not sure what to do. I accepted the offer quickly since they told me in the email it is non-binding and that it would help me with scholarships somehow. Are you eligible for some?
Reply 34
Original post by yoli1998
Yeah I hope its all okay and that email was just an error. I do think they are taking a while -- two other universities have got back to me now, and two others are under review at the moment and I submitted all at the same time. Update the chat on how it goes! Best of luck!

You too! I already got answer from three universities but they were not my first choice. This waiting makes me freak out. May I ask you what’s your status on application? Mine is « being processed » . I wonder there’s any further step to get an offer or should I just wait? It’s confusing and killing me haha
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you!

I tried to, and I specified that on the app, but I am apparently "ineligible" for any other internal funding :/ not sure what to do. I accepted the offer quickly since they told me in the email it is non-binding and that it would help me with scholarships somehow. Are you eligible for some?

I'm not sure, there's the College Research Awards and the John Orr Awards that I might be eligible for, but they don't even appear on the drop-down list in the funding section of MyEd (although, oddly, the Global Informatics scholarship does, despite my PhD being in modern langs). I contacted my department multiple times via email, but I got no replies. I guess as my application is assessed, admissions will update the funding section of MyEd to properly reflect the funding I'm eligible for.
Original post by Goji
You too! I already got answer from three universities but they were not my first choice. This waiting makes me freak out. May I ask you what’s your status on application? Mine is « being processed » . I wonder there’s any further step to get an offer or should I just wait? It’s confusing and killing me haha

From the uni website:

Applications go through several stages while we assess your application:

1. Application received
2. Being processed
3. All details received
4. Ready for a decision
5. Decision

The time your application spends at each status will vary depending on how long it takes to gather the information needed to support your application, the number of applications we receive and whether your programme operates a closing date.

Applications can also be placed on hold at any time during the process, for example if we are waiting on additional documentation or if the programme operates a closing date.
I'm not sure, there's the College Research Awards and the John Orr Awards that I might be eligible for, but they don't even appear on the drop-down list in the funding section of MyEd (although, oddly, the Global Informatics scholarship does, despite my PhD being in modern langs). I contacted my department multiple times via email, but I got no replies. I guess as my application is assessed, admissions will update the funding section of MyEd to properly reflect the funding I'm eligible for.

Yeaaaaaaaaahh same! Idk whhy I get Global Informatics when I am in Social Anthropology....I'm sure it'll clear up in December sometime.
Reply 38
From the uni website:

Applications go through several stages while we assess your application:

1. Application received
2. Being processed
3. All details received
4. Ready for a decision
5. Decision

Applications can also be placed on hold at any time during the process, for example if we are waiting on additional documentation or if the programme operates a closing date.

Thank you for sharing information. It’s really annoying since I thought I did all and submitted. But I found there was outstanding document few days ago which I don’t have to submit right now. I was looking forward to getting decision till early december but I guess I should wait much more. It’s really frustrating but thanks though:smile: have a nice day
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi everyone!
Finally submitted my application, hopefully this is the correct moment to do so in order to expect decisions from London and Edinburgh around the same time :P

I'm a Latin American applicant with either a First or a high 2:1 in my undegrad, applying to an LLM by Research. Not a lot of funding options for students from the Americas for this course (taught ones fare better in that regard), but I love the prospect of studying there: courses seem so versatile and the University appears to be very interested in multidisciplinary research approaches.

Good luck !
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending