The Student Room Group

Is it worth asking for a remark?

I just received my overall degree classification and received a pass (masters level) when I used the universities online grade calculator it said I achieved 59% overall (not great but I had extenuating circumstances) which should have been round up to a merit but it hasn’t, ie it worth contacting the university about?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I just received my overall degree classification and received a pass (masters level) when I used the universities online grade calculator it said I achieved 59% overall (not great but I had extenuating circumstances) which should have been round up to a merit but it hasn’t, ie it worth contacting the university about?

"Should" have been rounded up? What exactly did you get and what are the regulations for your course?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
"Should" have been rounded up? What exactly did you get and what are the regulations for your course?

Here’s my my grades the predicted grade. According to the calculator I should have been awarded a merit but my actual grade was a pass
Attachment not found
Reply 3
yes definitely contact them
Reply 4
And this is proof of the classification I was awarded
Reply 5
Attachment not found
A couple of things missing?
Reply 7
A couple of things missing?

What's missing? They went through as attachments rather than photos even though I clicked on photos. Can you not open them?
And this is proof of the classification I was awarded

Note that the transcript says "for guidance only", there may be additional rules on number of courses passed individually at merit level etc. By all means ask, but in general edge cases like this are looked at VERY carefully and often discussed by the exam board with the external examiners in attendance. Odds are this is not going to change unless a major glitch in process is found, e.g. you made a mit circumstances appeal, but the paperwork did not make it to the exam board.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Note that the transcript says "for guidance only", there may be additional rules on number of courses passed individually at merit level etc. By all means ask, but in general edge cases like this are looked at VERY carefully and often discussed by the exam board with the external examiners in attendance. Odds are this is not going to change unless a major glitch in process is found, e.g. you made a mit circumstances appeal, but the paperwork did not make it to the exam board.

That's what I originally thought but I have since looked into the universities marking policy and it is stating the exact same discretionary band and nothing about a certain number of modules must be passed at 60% or higher. Thank you, I will get in contact with my school and ask. If the original calculator was posted and I did get 59.7% I am gonna be gutted
I have been told that I can appeal the grade but I am not sure under what grounds I would appeal under. These are my applicable options

''Mitigating circumstances (like illness or personal problems) that affected your performance, which you were unable to tell your department about at the time.''

or

''You believe your degree classification was not calculated correctly.''

I was ill at the time but never told my department as I did not believe that they could or would do anything about it or should I go for the I believe that it was not calculated correctly?
Well those are just common reasons as to why people do
What's missing? They went through as attachments rather than photos even though I clicked on photos. Can you not open them?

They didn't appear on the app though one did on the main site. Which uni is this?
I have been told that I can appeal the grade but I am not sure under what grounds I would appeal under. These are my applicable options

''Mitigating circumstances (like illness or personal problems) that affected your performance, which you were unable to tell your department about at the time.''

or

''You believe your degree classification was not calculated correctly.''

I was ill at the time but never told my department as I did not believe that they could or would do anything about it or should I go for the I believe that it was not calculated correctly?

If you have evidence of your illness during your degree, then you could go down that route. If you state that you believe your classification to be incorrect, then you would need to check what evidence/reasons you have for going down that route.
They didn't appear on the app though one did on the main site. Which uni is this?

Leeds uni. I have since spoken to them and they have given me their reasons as to why my grade is what it is but that I could appeal it if I wish... just not sure it is worth the effort.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you have evidence of your illness during your degree, then you could go down that route. If you state that you believe your classification to be incorrect, then you would need to check what evidence/reasons you have for going down that route.

I do I was constantly at the doctors, I was being tested for numerous autoimmune diseases
I love it when the anonymous function no longer works...
Original post by S1elyak1
Leeds uni. I have since spoken to them and they have given me their reasons as to why my grade is what it is but that I could appeal it if I wish... just not sure it is worth the effort.

What did they say?

I think the medical route might be worth arguing, though the fact that you didn't tell them was extremely silly tbh.
What did they say?

I think the medical route might be worth arguing, though the fact that you didn't tell them was extremely silly tbh.

Just said that it was because I did not have 90 credits at merit level, they apparently had a discussion about it and decided not to up my grade. I know but for a moment today I thought I may have done but it turns out I didn't and remembered that I thought that if I had told them it would only result in them asking if I wanted an extension which I knew I did not. The only downside of this is that I would not be eligible to graduate with all of my friends in December if I did indeed appeal
Original post by S1elyak1
Just said that it was because I did not have 90 credits at merit level, they apparently had a discussion about it and decided not to up my grade. I know but for a moment today I thought I may have done but it turns out I didn't and remembered that I thought that if I had told them it would only result in them asking if I wanted an extension which I knew I did not. The only downside of this is that I would not be eligible to graduate with all of my friends in December if I did indeed appeal

If you think an appeal is likely to be successful, then why not. If it means a lot to you to graduate with your friends, then you'll have to weigh up what's more important to you. The one thing I'd say is that if you decide to graduate on time, make sure you won't regret not appealing for the sake of one event/day, as the classification you get lasts a lot longer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending