The Student Room Group

Which A Levels should I take

Hello, I am currently in Year 11. I've got all A*s in my gcse results last year and I'm predicted similar grades this year but I am still worried that taking four a levels next year may be too much pressure. I am certain about maths, psychology, and chemistry. For the fourth A level, I am stuck between english lit (for some variety) or biology. any ideas on what i should do?? 3 or 4 a levels??? if 4, eng or bio??
Bare in mind, Alevels and GCSE are completely different. Many students who have achieved grades lower perform exceptionally well in Alevels too. I don’t think you should rely on your GCSE grades to determine what you should take on board in your Alevels. Therefore I would suggest you figure out what you enjoy! And evaluate your choices by knowing exactly what your chosen subjects consist of. If your willing to do 4 you can always drop the 4th one before A2. Hope this helps
Original post by Melisa-123
Hello, I am currently in Year 11. I've got all A*s in my gcse results last year and I'm predicted similar grades this year but I am still worried that taking four a levels next year may be too much pressure. I am certain about maths, psychology, and chemistry. For the fourth A level, I am stuck between english lit (for some variety) or biology. any ideas on what i should do?? 3 or 4 a levels??? if 4, eng or bio??

You only need 3 A levels. All universities make offers on 3. Do not take 4. The only benefit with starting with 4 is it allows you to drop one you dont like. Dont put pressure on yourself. Dropping a grade could mean you lose your university place. The obvious 4th choice would be further Maths or Biology if you are looking at medicine or similar.
flip a coin
Reply 4
Original post by Igotbbcalevel
flip a coin

ahaha wish it was that simple
Original post by Melisa-123

Maths isn't that much workload and it isn't that bad really and psychology isn't hard there is just a lot of writing and remembering of content so that isn't that stressful or too much either, chemistry is also a perfectly viable choice with these other two and although sometimes can be a little challenging you will be fine and I would recommend taking 4 A levels as the workload isn't as bad as you might be expecting it to be and its much more beneficial as you will either come out with 4 A levels or you have room to drop one if you so wish.

My advice, definitely take 4 and your 4th option can be whatever you want really, some people have 4 they know they want to do and others have 3 they know they want to do and use their 4th as something else they enjoy or as a lower pressure and more fun option such as performing arts or whatever you want really, can always drop it although most people don't. Because unis only care about 3 of your options which I would presume will be the maths, psychology and chemistry your 4th is free and up to you and its perfectly possible to do well in 4 A levels.

I don't like English so I would be biased by saying don't do that but biology is a good course (so I have heard from friends, I don't do it personally so don't take my word for it) if you want to do that

Hope this helps!
(edited 4 years ago)
Biology is imo the worst alevel. the amount they make you memorise is truly appalling. its not worth the extra stress. i would strongly recommend that you do not take it.

Quick Reply

Latest