The Student Room Group

Gap Year before Medicine

Hi!

I took a gap year before starting Medicine so let me know if you have any questions! More than happy to help.

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
St. George's
Reply 1
Was it out of necessity or just for the sake of a gap year?
Hi!

It was both. I didn't apply to Medicine during my AS levels, so I had to take a gap year to apply. But obviously got involved in a few things to make sure I was a good candidate for Medicine. Do you have any questions about it?

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
St. George's
Reply 3
Did you retake any modules, and what grades did you apply with?
Hi!

No I didn't. I applied with AAA.
Reply 5
Original post by St George's University of London
Hi!

I took a gap year before starting Medicine so let me know if you have any questions! More than happy to help.

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
St. George's

is studying more in-depth of the triple sciences a good way to fulfill my gap year, along with a little work experience?
Hi!

No I didn't. I applied with AAA.

Hiii
Finally an official rep
So I have achieved AAA in bio chem and maths and have an interview at St Georges London.
My first q is if i get an offer will it be unconditional?
Second and MORE IMPORTANTLY, I saw the webinar and was just wondering

if st Georges is gonna give out 900 interviews this year (which has massively increased from the last application cycle), how many offers are they likely to give out for the 190 places. If you dont know exact numbers, please give rough estimate.

Thx
Reply 7
Original post by Banshee123
Hiii
Finally an official rep
So I have achieved AAA in bio chem and maths and have an interview at St Georges London.

if st Georges is gonna give out 900 interviews this year (which has massively increased from the last application cycle), how many offers are they likely to give out for the 190 places. If you dont know exact numbers, please give rough estimate.

Thx

congrats on the interview!
Hiii
Finally an official rep

Thx

Hi!

As far as I'm aware, if you have already met the academic requirements and then you get a high enough score in the interview, then I do believe your offer should be unconditional, as there are no conditions left for you to fulfil (except for sorting out DBS, occupational health etc).

As for your second question, I'd suggest you get in contact with St George's, as I'm not sure!
In my opinion, I would imagine that if there are a similar number of places as previous years, then I would imagine that there is a similar number of offers given out as previous years, and just simply more people interviewed. Do check with St George's though.

Millie,
4th year medical student, official student rep of St George's University of London
Hi!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
St. George's

what did you spend the year doing
Hi!

As far as I'm aware, if you have already met the academic requirements and then you get a high enough score in the interview, then I do believe your offer should be unconditional, as there are no conditions left for you to fulfil (except for sorting out DBS, occupational health etc).

As for your second question, I'd suggest you get in contact with St George's, as I'm not sure!
In my opinion, I would imagine that if there are a similar number of places as previous years, then I would imagine that there is a similar number of offers given out as previous years, and just simply more people interviewed. Do check with St George's though.

Millie,
4th year medical student, official student rep of St George's University of London

So, how do St Georges select people to give offers?
Does the interview have a cut off
Is it just the best 500 people in the interview who receive offers?
(edited 4 years ago)
So, how does scoring work St St Georges.
Is there a cut off?
Is it just the best 500 that are given offers?

Hi!

As far as I'm aware, each MMI station is scored by that examiner and then each station is added up to give you your total score.

St George's accepts the very highest interview scores out of those interviewed. So as far as I'm aware, the numerical cut-off that you would need to achieve in the interview is dynamic- it changes from year to year based on what the scores students are achieving in their interview that year.

Do contact St George's if you would like more clarification, but I hope that is useful to you!

Millie,
Does St.george accept gcse re-sits taken in the gap year, i got a 5 in maths gcse and i want to do higher maths and take the gcse exam to get a higher grade in my gap year?
Do you think it would be difficult to another (new) A level along with the UCAT, BMAT etc.. in a gap year?
Did you feel a gap year to be isolating at all?

Quick Reply

Latest