The Student Room Group

How do you motivate yourself to do an all-nighter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Numb & Dumb
Too late, sis. 😭 Thanks though, I know what you suggest is the healthier, more sensible option.

Aaaaah! I wish you all the strength and will power!
Reply 21
Hey, how are you doing there? Hope your work is going well.
I am always tempted to lie down just for a couple of minutes, so what I do is that I cover my bed with all sorts of stuff, so I have to clean it up first to lie in it. Usually, it helps.)
Don't forget to stand up and stretch and let your eyes rest. Another thing that helps is to set an alarm clock for every 30/40/50 minutes depends on your attention spawn. When it goes off, take a break. But a real brake, not a watch-youtube-type-of-break. Stand up, walk a bit, make an easy exercise like a couple of sit-ups or stretches. Drink or eat something and get back to work. This routine helps you to stay focused and awake.
And think about how next time you will planning your time better.) Hope your experience will help you in the future.
Original post by Ponizo
Hey, how are you doing there? Hope your work is going well.
I am always tempted to lie down just for a couple of minutes, so what I do is that I cover my bed with all sorts of stuff, so I have to clean it up first to lie in it. Usually, it helps.)
Don't forget to stand up and stretch and let your eyes rest. Another thing that helps is to set an alarm clock for every 30/40/50 minutes depends on your attention spawn. When it goes off, take a break. But a real brake, not a watch-youtube-type-of-break. Stand up, walk a bit, make an easy exercise like a couple of sit-ups or stretches. Drink or eat something and get back to work. This routine helps you to stay focused and awake.
And think about how next time you will planning your time better.) Hope your experience will help you in the future.

That was so thoughtful of you to check. I ended up going to bed at around 3 in the morning.
And all that you have mentioned here is actually very useful (seriously). Do you do them often? Seems like it. :tongue:
Reply 23
That was so thoughtful of you to check. I ended up going to bed at around 3 in the morning.
And all that you have mentioned here is actually very useful (seriously). Do you do them often? Seems like it. :tongue:

Some sleep is better than none!
Well, no more. I am no longer a student (for now), but when I was doing my BA, yes. We have had an extremely tight schedule and a lot of work, so all-nighters were a common thing for all of us.
I am not that proud about it, but I must say, that it tought me how not to panic and get your **** together and done in limited amount of time.)
So, yeah. It is surely not the healthiest option. But sometimes you just need to stay strong and do, what you have to do. But it is a dangerous path. I mean, that after a dozen of these it became almost impossible to work any other way. So be careful with that.)
Original post by Ponizo
Some sleep is better than none!
Well, no more. I am no longer a student (for now), but when I was doing my BA, yes. We have had an extremely tight schedule and a lot of work, so all-nighters were a common thing for all of us.
I am not that proud about it, but I must say, that it tought me how not to panic and get your **** together and done in limited amount of time.)
So, yeah. It is surely not the healthiest option. But sometimes you just need to stay strong and do, what you have to do. But it is a dangerous path. I mean, that after a dozen of these it became almost impossible to work any other way. So be careful with that.)

Yeah, the thing with sleeping like that is that then I end up waking up too late and I hate that so much. It's sort of weird but I get 'happy' if I wake up at around 6 in the morning, always lifts my mood up. So the downside of trying to do an all-nighter for me is that typically, I never end up actually doing it and just sleep very late. Then wake up late. Hate that. Hate the day. Hate life. lol I will stop there.

Oooh What was your degree? Well done for getting through it!!
Reply 25
Yeah, the thing with sleeping like that is that then I end up waking up too late and I hate that so much. It's sort of weird but I get 'happy' if I wake up at around 6 in the morning, always lifts my mood up. So the downside of trying to do an all-nighter for me is that typically, I never end up actually doing it and just sleep very late. Then wake up late. Hate that. Hate the day. Hate life. lol I will stop there.

Oooh What was your degree? Well done for getting through it!!

Oh, yes. I can relate! But even if you wake up late, you still have some time. You haven't slept through all day. Was your night productive thought?

I'm sorry, English is my second language, I don't understand the question. Bachelor is a degree itself? Or you are asking what grades I got in the end of it?
find a partner willing to do the same
Original post by Ponizo
Oh, yes. I can relate! But even if you wake up late, you still have some time. You haven't slept through all day. Was your night productive thought?

I'm sorry, English is my second language, I don't understand the question. Bachelor is a degree itself? Or you are asking what grades I got in the end of it?

Yes, you are right. However, at times I can have this (annoyingly) all-or-nothing mentality, where if my day doesn't start perfectly I give up easily on the rest of it. Most of it was productive, yes, however just before 3 I began to lurk online and realized there was little more I wanted to do, so gave up. It is also cold in my room after midnight so it is more tempting to just get into bed.

Apologies, I meant to ask what you studied at university. :smile:
Original post by Precious Illusions
At uni the motivation was that my essay was due the next day. That's all.

It's a strange question because generally the point of an all-nighter is that you've left your work so late that it's necessary and thus no 'motivation' is required, e.g. above.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
It's a strange question because generally the point of an all-nighter is that you've left your work so late that it's necessary and thus no 'motivation' is required, e.g. above.

sis saying it how it is.

In most cases, the work for which people stay up late is work that needs to be urgently completed. My case is slightly different. Although, I think that 'motivation' to an extent is required for all work. You still have to have motivation to do an all-nighter though.
Reply 30
Yes, you are right. However, at times I can have this (annoyingly) all-or-nothing mentality, where if my day doesn't start perfectly I give up easily on the rest of it. Most of it was productive, yes, however just before 3 I began to lurk online and realized there was little more I wanted to do, so gave up. It is also cold in my room after midnight so it is more tempting to just get into bed.

Apologies, I meant to ask what you studied at university. :smile:

Oh, it's the hardest thing to do - stay awake when conditions are the best for sleeping.)

Well official documents called my course "art metal", though I think it sounds more like a type of music.) So, basically it was a four year program and we were tought everything from blacksmithing and large casting to jewellery and enamels.
And what about you? What are you studying?
Original post by Ponizo
Oh, it's the hardest thing to do - stay awake when conditions are the best for sleeping.)

Well official documents called my course "art metal", though I think it sounds more like a type of music.) So, basically it was a four year program and we were tought everything from blacksmithing and large casting to jewellery and enamels.
And what about you? What are you studying?

And also because sleep is such a natural need that if you are not 100% dedicated to staying up or there is no adrenaline because the work needs to be urgently completed, the need to sleep wins over the motivation to stay up. It is so ****ingggggggggggggggggggg annoying. Ah. ldfoinhfouhsnoubsf Sorry.

Oooh interesting. sounds creative. Did you enjoy it?
Doing A-levels right now, should be making notes ffs
Hopefully, I should be at uni next year doing Law. Thanks for asking :smile:
Copious amounts of coffee, and matchsticks to keep your eyes open.
Original post by Numb &amp
Same. I planned on doing 7 hours of revision today and none of it happened. The only option left (to make sure I don't emotionally abuse myself) is to stay up and repent.

This is exactly me😦
Original post by Isabelpayne200
This is exactly me😦

:frown: Not a good feeling, right? Do you plan on doing one tonight?
Reply 35
And also because sleep is such a natural need that if you are not 100% dedicated to staying up or there is no adrenaline because the work needs to be urgently completed, the need to sleep wins over the motivation to stay up. It is so ****ingggggggggggggggggggg annoying. Ah. ldfoinhfouhsnoubsf Sorry.

Oooh interesting. sounds creative. Did you enjoy it?
Doing A-levels right now, should be making notes ffs
Hopefully, I should be at uni next year doing Law. Thanks for asking :smile:

There was a lot of good things and a lot of bad, I can't say I enjoyed it a 100%. But I am extremely grateful for everything I learned there. Art-wise and life-wise. It basically made me a person I am today.

Is that something that runs in your family, or you found inspiration to study Law somewhere else?
Original post by Numb &amp
:frown: Not a good feeling, right? Do you plan on doing one tonight?

Maybe but I also really like sleep🤔 I probably will because mocks are coming closer but always end up going to bed I need someone telling me “stay in that chair”. What bout you?
Original post by Ponizo
There was a lot of good things and a lot of bad, I can't say I enjoyed it a 100%. But I am extremely grateful for everything I learned there. Art-wise and life-wise. It basically made me a person I am today.

Is that something that runs in your family, or you found inspiration to study Law somewhere else?

So glad to hear that! Was it a UK uni? Agree with you about being grateful even for experiences that aren't entirely positive. Really wise of you to think like that. What do you hope to do in the future with your degree?

Doesn't run in my family, no. Only one cousin (not close to her at all) is a solicitor, but she doesn't practice anymore. I found inspiration elsewhere. Funnily enough, a year ago, I would have winced at the thought of studying Law at uni, but here I am... applying for it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Isabelpayne200
Maybe but I also really like sleep🤔 I probably will because mocks are coming closer but always end up going to bed I need someone telling me “stay in that chair”. What bout you?

I want to cry, this is so #relatable.

I need to make notes on Psychology and then revise for LNAT.

Okay, sis I NEED to done one tonight. My plan is to work until 5 am, then stop (time to workout) and then start again at around 7 am. Do you want to do it together? I am logging out soon, good luck if you choose to do one. Make sure to not do too many, you don't want to be yawning in class. gl
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 39
So glad to hear that! Was it a UK uni? Agree with you about being grateful even for experiences that aren't entirely positive. Really wise of you to think like that.

Doesn't run in my family, no. Only one cousin (not close to her at all) is a solicitor, but she doesn't practice anymore. I found inspiration elsewhere. Funnily enough, a year ago, I would have winced at the thought of studying Law at uni, but here I am... applying for it.

Ha, thanks. Wiseness took a lot of practice.)
No, it was located in my hometown, Moscow, Russia. But now I am applying for MA program in London University of Arts. So that's why I am here.)

What have changed, if you don't mind me asking?

And I apologize, but a have to go for now. So good night.) I will reply first thing in the morning. It's really nice talking to you.

Well, more like "Productive night" for you today.))
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending