The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

I have been predicted a 4 in chemistry and 5 in biology but that’s what I want to do in a levels. I also wanted to apply to Brampton manor but I don’t think I’ll even get past the interview. Are my predicted grades really bad? Could I get into Brampton if I get 7s + in my GCSE’s?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Student101.x
I have been predicted a 4 in chemistry and 5 in biology but that’s what I want to do in a levels. I also wanted to apply to Brampton manor but I don’t think I’ll even get past the interview. Are my predicted grades really bad? Could I get into Brampton if I get 7s + in my GCSE’s?

Listen here fella your predicted grades mean NOTHING. I was predicted literally all 6's in my GCSES and I didnt come out with even 1 6 in my GCSES
(All 7s,8s,9s). Don't ever let a teacher tell you what you are going to acheive just work hard and aim for 9's in Chemistry and Biology and have belief you can achieve it. I was predicted 6's in science If i remember correctly and I came out with 9's in all science subjects. GRIND HARD and you'll prove everyone wrong dont worry
Original post by fares22
Listen here fella your predicted grades mean NOTHING. I was predicted literally all 6's in my GCSES and I didnt come out with even 1 6 in my GCSES
(All 7s,8s,9s). Don't ever let a teacher tell you what you are going to acheive just work hard and aim for 9's in Chemistry and Biology and have belief you can achieve it. I was predicted 6's in science If i remember correctly and I came out with 9's in all science subjects. GRIND HARD and you'll prove everyone wrong dont worry

Not really what the OP asked. They asked whether a certain school would accept them with those predicted grades, not whether they can achieve them. If it's a name OP expects us to recognise (ie. is a competitive school), then idk it might be the case that it'll be full by results day and so bad predicted grades could debar them from getting in. I'll let someone more familiar with the school comment.
Original post by Student101.x

I’m going to tell you a little story here, the story of unexpected outcomes. Predictions with grades are entirely arbitrary for one big reason, no one can predict the future

I’m gonna give an example: myself. So here’s me, “enjoying” year 11 when wang bang thank you mam I get severely ill for about 3 months and have to take time off school. Now I spent that entire time making myself more I’ll because I was worried I was going to fail. Now before I was off I was predicted about 2 9s, 2 7s and 5 8s, pretty decent, but I was sure I was capable of more. That’s what’s key self belief can go a long way.

So anyway I come back to school and I work as hard as possible, by the time my next set of mocks come around I get about 4 9s 3 8s and 2 7s, but even then I wasn’t satisfied, and above all else i accepted the fact it may all be just good luck

In the end I ended up with 5 9s and 5 8s, I narrowly missed out on 9s in English language (1mark) and physics (about 4 marks), chemistry was adversely effected by me being off unfortunately and biology I never had a chance in, but in the end I did a lot better than I realistically ever thought I could have.

So how does this apply to you and how is this not just me telling you yeah work hard blah blah blah. You need to be an optimist and pessimist, the glass is half full and half empty. You can achieve absolutely anything you put your mind to and with effort you will, but you can also lose it all with complacency or thinking your entitled to it, so the lesson I have is work hard, inquire more, dig deeper, push for harder work, push yourself to the brink and come back. You can do whatever you need to achieve
Original post by Shalampa1
I’m going to tell you a little story here, the story of unexpected outcomes. Predictions with grades are entirely arbitrary for one big reason, no one can predict the future

I’m gonna give an example: myself. So here’s me, “enjoying” year 11 when wang bang thank you mam I get severely ill for about 3 months and have to take time off school. Now I spent that entire time making myself more I’ll because I was worried I was going to fail. Now before I was off I was predicted about 2 9s, 2 7s and 5 8s, pretty decent, but I was sure I was capable of more. That’s what’s key self belief can go a long way.

So anyway I come back to school and I work as hard as possible, by the time my next set of mocks come around I get about 4 9s 3 8s and 2 7s, but even then I wasn’t satisfied, and above all else i accepted the fact it may all be just good luck

In the end I ended up with 5 9s and 5 8s, I narrowly missed out on 9s in English language (1mark) and physics (about 4 marks), chemistry was adversely effected by me being off unfortunately and biology I never had a chance in, but in the end I did a lot better than I realistically ever thought I could have.

So how does this apply to you and how is this not just me telling you yeah work hard blah blah blah. You need to be an optimist and pessimist, the glass is half full and half empty. You can achieve absolutely anything you put your mind to and with effort you will, but you can also lose it all with complacency or thinking your entitled to it, so the lesson I have is work hard, inquire more, dig deeper, push for harder work, push yourself to the brink and come back. You can do whatever you need to achieve

Agree - but similar to the above it doesn't really address OP's question. They asked whether this school will accept them with the predicted grades they have, and whether they could approach them on results day with achieved grades (which they sound confident in getting) and get in.
Like what the others have said, I know predicted grades don’t mean anything thing to me . When I did my re gcse, I was predicted a 4 but got a 7. The question is whether or not the SixthForm (very competitive) will even let me have an interview
Reply 6
Hi! I attended Brampton Manor's open day last Wednesday. They specifically said that you need a 7 GPA (Grade Point Average) for your predicted grades (and obviously real exams) to secure a place at the school. Of course, if you apply, get rejected then on results day you show up with the grades they want, they'll try get you a place.
For sciences particularly, they want 8 in the ones you want to study. However, it's achievable if you work hard and I'm sure they'll credit your hard work on results day with a place at the school if possible.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by AB2907
Hi! I attended Brampton Manor's open day last Wednesday. They specifically said that you need a 7 GPA (Grade Point Average) for your predicted grades (and obviously real exams) to secure a place at the school. Of course, if you apply, get rejected then on results day you show up with the grades they want, they'll try get you a place.
For sciences particularly, they want 8 in the ones you want to study. However, it's achievable if you work hard and I'm sure they'll credit your hard work on results day with a place at the school if possible.

What are ur predicted grades
Reply 8
Original post by philip.13o+++++
What are ur predicted grades

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 9
English Literature - 8
English Language - 8
History - 9
French - 7
Reply 9
I completely understand, I will try to answer your question. I also attend a highly competitive college, and you have to get pretty high GCSE results to get in, similar to the college that you are wanting to apply to - one has to get 7s in all subjects that they will be studying.

Do you have mock grades that you can give? As I had low targets like your self, as I didn't do very well in SATs, e.g - I was targeted a 4 in Chemistry and got a 9. I would give the college a sheet of your most recent mock grades. I know that my college offered previsionary places for those that had low targets, and if they did do well on results day they would be granted a place.

Upon looking you would have to get an average grade of 7. So if you were doing 10 GCSEs you would have to get 70 points - all the grades added up. If you work hard, you can do it!

If you need any help, I am more than willing. I do Chemistry, Biology and Geography at A-Level.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by AB2907
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 9
English Literature - 8
English Language - 8
History - 9
French - 7

Oh wow what A levels are u looking to take, and are u going Brampton
Reply 11
Oh wow what A levels are u looking to take, and are u going Brampton

Looking to take Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Going to apply to Brampton :biggrin:
Original post by SlightlySummer
In the talk they mentioned that they've actually accepted students with GPA 6.5, who then went on to achieve A/A*. Your predicted grades are pretty good, are they based solely on mocks?

My school did mocks at the end of year 10 - these are based on those. However, we are also have another set of mocks next week which will be sent to sixth forms. They did say that in the talk - however I think the competitiveness and the volume of applications they'll get this year will mean that at least a 7 GPA is recommended.
Original post by AB2907
Looking to take Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Going to apply to Brampton :biggrin:

My school did mocks at the end of year 10 - these are based on those. However, we are also have another set of mocks next week which will be sent to sixth forms. They did say that in the talk - however I think the competitiveness and the volume of applications they'll get this year will mean that at least a 7 GPA is recommended.

I was thinking of exactly the same omds.rougly similar grades too
I was thinking of exactly the same omds.rougly similar grades too

I like those 4 subjects and pretty strong in them however not sure whether to swap Physics with economics. I was thinking about taking all the main sciences as I didn't know what one I would pursue further
Original post by AB2907

Do you think your predicted grades will change now you have done your mocks and what would you say is a good GPA especially for a person looking to do Sciences + Maths
Reply 15
Do you think your predicted grades will change now you have done your mocks and what would you say is a good GPA especially for a person looking to do Sciences + Maths

If any grades are drastically different, then my predicted grades will be affected.

I think a GPA of 7 is good enough. However, in the sciences and maths, I think an 8 is competitive.
Original post by AB2907
If any grades are drastically different, then my predicted grades will be affected.

I think a GPA of 7 is good enough. However, in the sciences and maths, I think an 8 is competitive.

do you mean an average 7 or level 7s, and for sciences and average 8 or level 8s
Original post by 15Odugbilep1
do you mean an average 7 or level 7s, and for sciences and average 8 or level 8s

in the specific sciences ^
Original post by Shalampa1

this was so inspirational wthhh tysmmm its nice to be motivated every once in a while :smile:
Original post by muffboo
this was so inspirational wthhh tysmmm its nice to be motivated every once in a while :smile:

Hello there!

What's also crucial to remember is, however, your predicted grades are ultimately testament to your competitiveness, a so much more powerful tool is the progress you make. If you're able to convey your ethic, either through your academics or other applicable forms, it will indefinitely present you as a more desirable candidate for colleges. But, aside from arbitrary/crude grades, it will simply make you a more optimistic person which can only help you in the year to come.
Please, please, please persevere. What I often find the limiting factor to peoples' ability to revise is that they simply dislike the subject. Finding some sort of interest for your courses will make this indescribably easier. Find the sense of satisfaction in delving into the possible meanings of your english texts, the organised chaos in chemical reactions and the extremely odd and hypothetical maths questions edexcel presents us with.
I'm also hoping to apply for Brampton! The open day was very persuasive and insightful. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask or send a PM!

Quick Reply

Latest