The Student Room Group

Bristol vs Exeter uni

Hi
Which uni is better for a management degree. Exeter is more highly ranked but Bristol gets higher average grad salaries and prefer Bristol as a city. Just want to know what people think?

Thanks
If you prefer Bristol, apply to Bristol. Exeter is at best on par with Bristol, it's certainly not better in any meaningful metric.
Original post by Jjjer
Hi
Which uni is better for a management degree. Exeter is more highly ranked but Bristol gets higher average grad salaries and prefer Bristol as a city. Just want to know what people think?

Thanks

Rankings usually only matter if there is a large difference. These 2 universities are not of hugely different standard. Go where you prefer ie Bristol.
Reply 3
Thanks very much but do you know which one is considered better for management?
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Rankings usually only matter if there is a large difference. These 2 universities are not of hugely different standard. Go where you prefer ie Bristol.

Exeter is ranked higher but what matters is where you will be happiest. The rankings or the graduate starting salary really doesnt matter. You will spend 3 years in university and it is where you feel most comfortable you should go for. It is no good going somewhere and hating it. You dont need to make a decision until April. Visit both on visit days and decide which you prefer. They are very different. Exeter is on a very green campus in a small city. Bristol is a city based university in a much larger city.
Reply 6
I dont think management is the sort of degree which has very specific rankings.

Original post by Jjjer
Original post by Jjjer
Hi

Thanks

Prestige & reputation: Bristol

The reality is if your looking for management consultancy career tier 1 firms are off the table with either uni (its got to be Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE to have a half chance at a grad role).

Careers in management consultancy (non-tier 1) or other careers will be more down to you as an individual rather than the uni. Build a good CV, get good grades etc, matter more then the uni name (but Bristol does have the slightly better rep, nothing much in it, I would just go where you prefer tbh).
Reply 8
Thanks very much everyone
Original post by Jjjer
Hi

Thanks

Go to Exeter just because is a better university. At least according to this:https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
is a better university
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by emily_000
Go to Exeter just because is a better university. At least according to this:https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
is a better university

CUG & guardian are both terrible
Reply 11
Original post by mnot
CUG & guardian are both terrible

I heard these are rubbish for choosing a uni is it true
Reply 12
Bristol. I like Exeter, great uni, smart people. Bristol would’ve been perfect since there’s a bigger variety of personality and the night life is great.

People from Exeter often go to clubs in Bristol and say it’s way better than Exeter only to find out those nights out are considered the deadest by Bristol students lol
Original post by Jjjer

They are pretty bad.
Reply 14
Bristol. I like Exeter, great uni, smart people. Bristol would’ve been perfect since there’s a bigger variety of personality and the night life is great.

People from Exeter often go to clubs in Bristol and say it’s way better than Exeter only to find out those nights out are considered the deadest by Bristol students lol
Original post by Jjjer

each person has his own criteria. Personally I see rankings. So no there are not rubbish.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jjjer
I heard these are rubbish for choosing a uni is it true.

CUG is probably the best of the uni rankings but any league table will never be totally accurate. It is a good basis to advise but in reality there is very little to choose between say the top 25 universities which is why personal feelings and what you actually want is the most important issue. The people who comment on rakings being rubbish usually do so because their university comes out badly. Students dont have experience of different universities so are poorly placed to make judgements.
Original post by emily_000
each person has his own criteria. Personally I see rankings. So no there are not rubbish.

The fact you use the rankings does not mean other students should, it only means you gave them ad-revenue...

I suggest you spend some time looking at the data collection and inherent biases in their methodology.

OP dont be one of these schmucks who goes to a uni because the guardian listed it as a top 10, this is meaningless. Make up your own criteria of what is a good uni and do your own evaluation against it. (I would suggest: career opportunities, in-house opportunities (ie student union quality/year abroad etc.), research, teaching quality, type of uni & city etc...)
Original post by mnot
The fact you use the rankings does not mean other students should, it only means you gave them ad-revenue...

I suggest you spend some time looking at the data collection and inherent biases in their methodology.

OP dont be one of these schmucks who goes to a uni because the guardian listed it as a top 10, this is meaningless. Make up your own criteria of what is a good uni and do your own evaluation against it. (I would suggest: career opportunities, in-house opportunities (ie student union quality/year abroad etc.), research, teaching quality, type of uni & city etc...)

Personally I chose my university based on rankings and I loved the city, the accommodation, the lecturers , the tutors, I had the opportunity to study abroad and student union was perfectly fine).
Reply 19
Original post by mnot

Thanks very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending