The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

The Official Prifysgol Aberystwyth University Applicants' Thread 2020

This is a place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process.

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE and AS grades:
Extra curriculars:
(Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.)

You can check out a list of other applicants threads here.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hopefully will be for English Literature & French
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Was hoping for more posts on this thread as uni applications go in, so here's my thread boost!

What course are you applying for: Biology (with a year in industry)
What universities are you thinking of: Other than Aber, Bangor, Aberdeen, maybe York and Glasgow too, though firming Aber
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: I'm doing biology, psychology, maths and a BTEC in applied law

If anyone else is applying for biology too (or is already doing bio) pm me!
Course: Sociology
What universities are you thinking of: Aber, Bangor, Gloucestershire and Warwick
A-Levels: English Lit Lang, History and Sociology
Reply 4
Gonna do it properly this time lol

What Course: English Literature & Begginers French
Other Uni's: Aber, Cardiff Swansea, Reading & De Montfort Leicester
A Levels: English Language & Literature, Business Studies & Welsh Bacc
oh this thread is active now! didn't wanna be the only one posting haha

What course are you applying for: computer science + computer vision graphics and games (couldn't decide tbh)
What universities are you thinking of: aber, falmouth, sussex
A levels: psychology, computer science and graphic communications

i'm going for aber as my firm if i get an offer so hopefully i'll see some other comp sci applicants here!

EDIT: 18/12/19 got an offer today for both courses for 112 ucas points : D most likely gonna firm, but is anyone else planning to take the entrance exam?
(edited 4 years ago)
I do maths, biology and chemistry A level, got five 9s, four 8s and a 7 at GCSE, I think AAA/ A*AA predicted grades and I've got an offer for biology of 120 UCAS points with a B in biology
Original post by Emsio8
Was hoping for more posts on this thread as uni applications go in, so here's my thread boost!

What course are you applying for: Biology (with a year in industry)
What universities are you thinking of: Other than Aber, Bangor, Aberdeen, maybe York and Glasgow too, though firming Aber
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: I'm doing biology, psychology, maths and a BTEC in applied law

If anyone else is applying for biology too (or is already doing bio) pm me!

Just a little update, I applied on Wednesday this week and got offers back for biology and microbiology on the Thursday! Somewhat makes me think they didn't read my personal statement which kinda sucks cause I spent a lot of time on it but I suppose it doesn't matter. Is anyone else doing the scholarship exams in January?
Reply 8
Original post by Emsio8
Just a little update, I applied on Wednesday this week and got offers back for biology and microbiology on the Thursday! Somewhat makes me think they didn't read my personal statement which kinda sucks cause I spent a lot of time on it but I suppose it doesn't matter. Is anyone else doing the scholarship exams in January?

Aber is known for accepting quite quickly so they probably read it and decided you were a good fit, I have a friend who got the same kind of response so be proud of it.
Hopefully I will be if my college ever sends off their references
Original post by IWTJOMB
Aber is known for accepting quite quickly so they probably read it and decided you were a good fit, I have a friend who got the same kind of response so be proud of it.
Hopefully I will be if my college ever sends off their references

Are you taking the exams at Aber out of curiosity? It says (very briefly) on the website that they contribute towards costs but that they'd only email like a week before the exams which is late if I'm getting train tickets etc. It's frustrating, I'll probably have to email them about it.
Reply 10
Original post by Emsio8
Are you taking the exams at Aber out of curiosity? It says (very briefly) on the website that they contribute towards costs but that they'd only email like a week before the exams which is late if I'm getting train tickets etc. It's frustrating, I'll probably have to email them about it.

You can always do the exams at your college, that's what I'll hopefully be doing as I live 2 hours away and it would just be much easier for me.
so ye I hopefully will be doing them but my College is messing about with peoples applications and unfortunately I am one of those people
Reply 11
Original post by Emsio8

Are you looking to firm Aber, out of personal curiosity
Original post by IWTJOMB
Are you looking to firm Aber, out of personal curiosity

Yup, I really like it there and I've already made a few friends from visiting on the open day. That's why I'm taking the entrance exams there, so I can go see them again. Just gotta decide between biology and microbiology now. How about you?
Reply 13
Original post by Emsio8
Yup, I really like it there and I've already made a few friends from visiting on the open day. That's why I'm taking the entrance exams there, so I can go see them again. Just gotta decide between biology and microbiology now. How about you?

Same here, just hoping I can get into French and English, my grades were hopeless last year so just gotta hope my PS makes up for it
Applied for psychology in Aber, Bangor, Cardiff, John Moores and uni of Liverpool
Predicted AAAB at A level, received offers from Cardiff, aber and John moores🤞🏻🤞🏻
Original post by Catrin Fay
Applied for psychology in Aber, Bangor, Cardiff, John Moores and uni of Liverpool
Predicted AAAB at A level, received offers from Cardiff, aber and John moores🤞🏻🤞🏻

Llongyfarchiadau!

What were the Aber and Cardiff offers, and will you be doing the entrance exam in January for Aberystwyth?
Original post by 学生の父
Llongyfarchiadau!

What were the Aber and Cardiff offers, and will you be doing the entrance exam in January for Aberystwyth?

Thank you!!
AAA for Cardiff, 112 points for Aber
I’m not sure because I haven’t heard anything about it from college but I’ll have to ask actually
Original post by Catrin Fay
Thank you!!
AAA for Cardiff, 112 points for Aber
I’m not sure because I haven’t heard anything about it from college but I’ll have to ask actually

If you're aiming for AAA or above, then it could be worth your while: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/undergrad/before-you-apply/scholarships/entrance-scholarships-merit-awards/

The closing date for applications is 18 January 2020.
Reply 18
Original post by IWTJOMB
Gonna do it properly this time lol

What Course: English Literature & Begginers French
Other Uni's: Aber, Cardiff Swansea, Reading & De Montfort Leicester
A Levels: English Language & Literature, Business Studies & Welsh Bacc

Just got an offer of 112 points
Course applying for- LLB Law
Universities applying to- Aberystwyth, Hull, Chester and Liverpool Hope
Alevels- Spanish, English Language and Literature and History
Aber is my favourite so hoping to get an offer and put as firm
UPDATE:I applied Thurs 5th, got offer Fri 6th for 120 UCAS points