The Student Room Group

Received high mark for Civil Service DWP interview, but put on reserve list???

I applied for the the Work Coach role with the Department for Work and Pensions. They score out of 1(lowest) to 7(Excellent/highest) for competencies. I received two 7s and two 6s. I also scored better than 66% of people on the online test. But I’m not sure if they take the online tests into account for final selection as I thought they were used for sifting/selecting candidates for the next stage. But I have been put on the reserve list. The email said that I have met the required standards, but they can’t offer a job immediately. Is it because they currently don’t have the vacancies in the area I applied to? Because they did say on the job description that some places won’t have vacancies immediately because of the businesses needs of the time, but will later on. I’m just so confused why I’m on the reserve list as I scored in the top percentile and they are advertising 40 job roles so thought I would make it with the score I got. I’m a bit confused:/

This is the feedback:

Managing a Quality Service

Score: 6

Stong Demonstration:

Making Effective Decisions

Strong Demonstration: Good example containing many key indicators and expansion on answer

Communicating and Influencing

Score: 7

Outstanding Demonstation: Excellent answer covering, in depth, all of the required and desirable indicators, superb expansion and delivering, service foccussed and outcome led

Delivering at Pace

Outstanding Demonstation: Excellent answer covering, in depth, all of the required and desirable indicators, superb expansion and delivering, service foccussed and outcome led

Behaviours Total Score

Strengths

Service

Score: 3

Good answer containing required responses and expansion

Decisive

Explainer

Score: 4

Excellent response requiring no expansion

Focused

Strengths Total Score

Additional Assessments

Weighting

DWP apply weighting to the strength scores. This will be recorded in the additional assessment box under the title Weighting. Please note that the maximum score you can receive in each box is 7, therefore your weighting may be recorded across multiple boxes.

Weighting continued

Overall score
General Comments
An excellent candiate, superb range of answers covering many of the required desirable indicators, diverse and interesting examples, inciteful answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 540
I applied for the the Work Coach role with the Department for Work and Pensions. They score out of 1(lowest) to 7(Excellent/highest) for competencies. I received two 7s and two 6s. I also scored better than 66% of people on the online test. But I’m not sure if they take the online tests into account for final selection as I thought they were used for sifting/selecting candidates for the next stage. But I have been put on the reserve list. The email said that I have met the required standards, but they can’t offer a job immediately. Is it because they currently don’t have the vacancies in the area I applied to? Because they did say on the job description that some places won’t have vacancies immediately because of the businesses needs of the time, but will later on. I’m just so confused why I’m on the reserve list as I scored in the top percentile and they are advertising 40 job roles so thought I would make it with the score I got. I’m a bit confused:/

This is the feedback:

Managing a Quality Service

Stong Demonstration:

Making Effective Decisions

Strong Demonstration: Good example containing many key indicators and expansion on answer

Communicating and Influencing

Delivering at Pace

Behaviours Total Score

Strengths

Service

Decisive

Explainer

Focused

Strengths Total Score

Additional Assessments

Weighting

DWP apply weighting to the strength scores. This will be recorded in the additional assessment box under the title Weighting. Please note that the maximum score you can receive in each box is 7, therefore your weighting may be recorded across multiple boxes.

Weighting continued

Overall score
General Comments
An excellent candiate, superb range of answers covering many of the required desirable indicators, diverse and interesting examples, inciteful answers

Hi, everyone is on reserve list who passed the interview, I know of 1 person who got a rejection.

I too am on the reserve list, which areas did you put down for work :smile:

Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by OldKingThistle
Hi, everyone is on reserve list who passed the interview, I know of 1 person who got a rejection.

I too am on the reserve list, which areas did you put down for work :smile:

Good luck

Oh phew. I was so confused with the score and the reserve list. So I’m assuming from the reserve list they will make the final selection but now they are just sorting out who passed and didn’t meet the mark?

I applied for the East Anglia Region and the area location is Ipswich, Suffolk. What about you?
Original post by 540
Oh phew. I was so confused with the score and the reserve list. So I’m assuming from the reserve list they will make the final selection but now they are just sorting out who passed and didn’t meet the mark?

I applied for the East Anglia Region and the area location is Ipswich, Suffolk. What about you?

I applied in the Durham region....

Yeah they basically look at your score, put everyone onto a list

The person who scored highest is obv at the top, that person will be offered the job first in their top choice, they will then work down the list until hopefully they get to us :smile:

Could just be waiting a couple of days, could be waiting months I’ve seen on here

Nightmare! Lol
Reply 4
Original post by OldKingThistle
I applied in the Durham region....

Yeah they basically look at your score, put everyone onto a list

The person who scored highest is obv at the top, that person will be offered the job first in their top choice, they will then work down the list until hopefully they get to us :smile:

Could just be waiting a couple of days, could be waiting months I’ve seen on here

Nightmare! Lol

Yes, the Civil Service application process is a nightmare! So I guess they’re still sorting out who to give the offers to because I thought it was really quick for them to get back. I had my interview on that final date and it hasn’t even been two weeks yet, so thought that was really quick considering that they have to go through applications across the whole region. There were only four locations were interviews were taking place, so I assumed that the four offices would need to get together to make a decision as some going for certain locations may have had their interview at the other offices. Maybe now they’ve just decided who passed/failed at this stage and then will give offers based on scoring. I may be wrong. I don’t know. Anyways, I really hope I get something soon. But good luck to you! Hopefully you get the job too! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
What area was the job for ? I am in the exact same situation so I can not offer any advice . Received overall score of 56 and placed on reserve list .
Reply 6
Original post by 010112
What area was the job for ? I am in the exact same situation so I can not offer any advice . Received overall score of 56 and placed on reserve list .

East Anglia and location Ipswich.

How does the overall score work? I mean, it can’t be the interview scores added up because that would mean I got 40. Also, what scores did you get for your interview? If you got similar or higher than mine, then you should have got an offer. Like, I don’t think a lot of people got full marks because they can be giving out full marks to everyone and it’s hard to at interview.

I spoke to somebody who works in Civil Service recruitment and he said that he has only given one 7 at interview so it’s rare. He’s done a shed load of recruitment, so this was a shock to him that they were giving so many people top marks. Did you apply to the East anglia region too?
(edited 4 years ago)
No I’ve applied in Manchester district .
I got 7 for the behaviours so 28
I got 4 for the strengths so 16
And the weighting scores of 5 and 7
Reply 9
Original post by 010112
I got 7 for the behaviours so 28
I got 4 for the strengths so 16
And the weighting scores of 5 and 7

Wow, you did so well!! Well done! You really should have got the offer!! That’s full marks because you can’t score more than 7s or 4s for those sections. Have you called the designated person for you location on why you’ve been put on the reserve list with the scores you got?? I feel like you should have got a post. It really doesn’t make sense.
(edited 4 years ago)
Aww thank you as did you ! I am just hoping no one has had a provision offer yet , maybe that’s a job for this week . First they send out the scores so people who have been unsuccessful know then they start making job offers from top of the reserve list working downwards . I’m praying that’s the case anyway .
Reply 11
Original post by 010112
Aww thank you as did you ! I am just hoping no one has had a provision offer yet , maybe that’s a job for this week . First they send out the scores so people who have been unsuccessful know then they start making job offers from top of the reserve list working downwards . I’m praying that’s the case anyway .

Yes, I hope that’s the case too. How long has it been since your interviews? I had mine on the last date and it’s only been two weeks. It wasn’t even two weeks, just over a week and I got sent a notification saying I was on the reserve list. I did find that it was really quick. I was on a HMRC placement the other day, and they said the Civil Service normally take a long time to give out offers and two weeks is too quick so should expect them to take longer. I was thinking that maybe they still have the final selections pending and will make the decision later on. I called the lady who answers queries for the recruitment about why I’m on the list with these scores and she said that they have given it to those on the top. The guy who works in Civil Service recruitment said that I should have got the offer as it’s rare to give out 7s at interview from his experience. Tbh, I’m not sure if she said that for the sake of it/telling me the standard procedures for offers or if she actually knows if they’ve made a decision.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 540
Yes, I hope that’s the case too. How long has it been since your interviews? I had mine on the last date and it’s only been two weeks. It wasn’t even two weeks, just over a week and I got sent a notification saying I was on the reserve list. I did find that it was really quick. I was on a HMRC placement the other day, and they said the Civil Service normally take a long time to give out offers and two weeks is too quick so should expect them to take longer. I was thinking that maybe they still have the final selections pending and will make the decision later on. I called the lady who answers queries for the recruitment about why I’m on the list with these scores and she said that they have given it to those on the top. The guy who works in Civil Service recruitment said that I should have got the offer as it’s rare to give out 7s at interview from his experience. Tbh, I’m not sure if she said that for the sake of it/telling me the standard procedures for offers or if she actually knows if they’ve made a decision.

My interview was on the 8th... I asked in interview when the likely start dates would be and was told even though advertised for December it will be probs be in the New Year so fingers crossed that lady was just repeating the standard response. Or otherwise I’m just not likeable in interviews 🤔. They have given you nicer feedback notes than I got . Mine just said strong concise answers . I’ve been on another Dwp reserve list for 11 months ( 6 month reserve list extended to 12 ) for a lower grade position but I didn’t score as high in the interview. I really hope something comes of this .
Reply 13
Original post by 010112
My interview was on the 8th... I asked in interview when the likely start dates would be and was told even though advertised for December it will be probs be in the New Year so fingers crossed that lady was just repeating the standard response. Or otherwise I’m just not likeable in interviews 🤔. They have given you nicer feedback notes than I got . Mine just said strong concise answers . I’ve been on another Dwp reserve list for 11 months ( 6 month reserve list extended to 12 ) for a lower grade position but I didn’t score as high in the interview. I really hope something comes of this .

Yeah mine was on the 8th too lol. My start date said around Dec/Jan too. I know they have to do pre-employment checks, but still, it shouldn’t take that long. It said that I was on the reserve list for 3 months, but thought they normally put you on for at least 6 months. Hmm... It also seems like all the locations across the UK had similar recruitment times. Do you think they’ve just put everyone on the reserve list for now until the final selection? I hope this is the case. Because from all of the responses I’ve got from people at other locations in the UK, it seems like everyone is on the reserve list 🤔🤔 you honestly did so well, like you got full marks!! Putting you on reserve list doesn’t make sense to me. So I really hope you get it! Civil Service recruitment is just so annoying. Like from applying to waiting is a nightmare! And they are not fully clear with how the whole recruitment works!! 🙄
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi GuysI applied and interviewed for a post in Scotland in November and have been put on a reserve list.I wasn't sure if this was maybe due to the general election and a new budget not having been done yet?
Hi

Just read this post did You ever get to the bottom of it. Was it that they put everyone on reserve and then offers made later did you get an offer?
I have just received my scores for ho dwp and I got 47 which is out of 58 and it would of been out of 58 for yours. I thought that is a good score to get a offer but I’m on reserve. Me too is thinking surely couldn’t been that many with nearly full marks got offers

I got 4,5,6,7
And strengths 14
And the additional assessment 6 and 5
What is the additional assessment I have ok clue lol
I received my call a couple of weeks after that post ... started 6 weeks later
Thanks for getting back there is hope then lol
I asked where I was on reserve list and I was told position. 77
Wow that is a brilliant score. Hope you got posted somewhere eventually. I am preparing for the same vacancy myself. But struggling to write my examples. Any tips or hints you can help me with?
Hi
Thanks been on reserve list now 2 months and nothing yet. Examples you mean for the personal statement or interview ?

Latest

Trending

Trending