The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Accuse anyone saying it should be abolished and call for their head.
personally i prefer ariana grande & rats rats rats rats my friend apollo actually believes in a monarchy revolving around shakespeare’s lady macbeth as she demonstrates some clear leadership skills and her love for rats rats rats rats is unbelievable
Get rid of them and their elitist regime, all of their "allowances" and their hangers on. 2019 is no place for elitism.

Every man, woman and child is born equal and should be treated equally. A royal baby is not worth more than any other baby, its outdated blue blood nonsense!
Original post by KaziMahathir
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone has any strong pro abolition points regarding the monarchy that I can bring up in an upcoming debate.

Also, why might people say that the monarchy shouldn't be abolished (e.g. economic reasons) and please say why these potential points against abolition may be weak?

thanks in advance

No the monarchy is part of our history. Brings in a lot of tourists. But given the car crash that is Andrew it definitely needs to be slimmed down.

I could not believe the arrogance of the man and his pomposity
Original post by squeakysquirrel
No the monarchy is part of our history. Brings in a lot of tourists. But given the car crash that is Andrew it definitely needs to be slimmed down.

I could not believe the arrogance of the man and his pomposity

Slavery is part of our history, shall we bring that back also?

I dont buy that the monarchy makes a profit through tourism, but even if it did and it would have to be independently audited by several countries and bodies or I would reject it, so I'm saying it would have to be unequivocally proved the monarchy makes money for the country before ...... I'd still want rid if it so it would make no difference at all.:smile:
Reply 6
No the monarchy is an important part of British identity and what makes us British, it attracts a lot of tourists from all over the world.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Deggs_14
No the monarchy is an important part of British identity and what makes us British,

Not to me and millions of others.

it attracts a lot of tourists from all over the world.

No it doesn't. That's a myth.
It is the residual culture and history that attracts tourism. France makes more money from tourism from their old palaces and stuff that Britain does. Just imagine how much more we'd make if every royal palace, with all their art and antiques, were fully open to the public?

Provide them with nice houses somewhere of their choosing, all furnished and fully paid for, and then that's it. Nothing more from the state than any other citizen gets.
Original post by QE2
Not to me and millions of others.

Or me.
Original post by QE2

It is the residual culture and history that attracts tourism. France makes more money from tourism from their old palaces and stuff that Britain does. Just imagine how much more we'd make if every royal palace, with all their art and antiques, were fully open to the public?

Provide them with nice houses somewhere of their choosing, all furnished and fully paid for, and then that's it. Nothing more from the state than any other citizen gets.

This is correct, we have other historic tourist attractions that we dont promote and preserve in the same way as the French have with theirs.

We are being fed this nonsense to keep the status quo of elitism.
Reply 9
Original post by QE2

I consider it so. I am very proud to have a Queen, to publicly celebrate her birthdays and jubilees, to listen to her speeches and to have a long reigning monarchy.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Get rid of them and their elitist regime, all of their "allowances" and their hangers on. 2019 is no place for elitism.

Every man, woman and child is born equal and should be treated equally. A royal baby is not worth more than any other baby, its outdated blue blood nonsense!

The royals are a living relic of an old tradition when people believed they were ordained by God - no one believes that anymore. But no one is born equal either, we all have different advantages and disadvantages we are born with or born into.
Original post by aciana
The royals are a living relic of an old tradition when people believed they were ordained by God - no one believes that anymore. But no one is born equal either, we all have different advantages and disadvantages we are born with or born into.

Exactly, noone believes all that anymore because we have moved on and became better educated.

Nobody is born equal, maybe not so but everyone should have equal opportunities. We should not just accept that someone with blue blood is superior and we should slave away to pay for their lavish lifestyle, even if they are a total dim wit in reality.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Deggs_14
I consider it so. I am very proud to have a Queen, to publicly celebrate her birthdays and jubilees, to listen to her speeches and to have a long reigning monarchy.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Having a monarchy does not increase tourism.
And have you actually listened to one of the Queen's speeches? The very definition of "meaningless platitudes".
And you can still celebrate her birthdays and anniversaries after she is no longer monarch, in the same way as royalists in other republics do.
There is literally no rational argument for retaining the monarchy.
Well the monarchy is the only piece of culture brits really have :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hisksjd
Well the monarchy is the only piece of culture brits really have

No, that would be Christmas. The monarchy doesn't mean anything to most normal intelligent people.
Reply 15
Original post by Hisksjd
Well the monarchy is the only piece of culture brits really have

:rofl:
Thanks for that. You brightened up what is otherwise a pretty dreary day.
Original post by aciana
No, that would be Christmas. The monarchy doesn't mean anything to most normal intelligent people.

Christmas was made by the virgin Queen Mary luv
Original post by Hisksjd
Christmas was made by the virgin Queen Mary luv

Even if that's true, which I doubt, nobody is thinking about her on christmas day or any other of those wonky nosed pampered in-breeds
Original post by QE2
There is literally no rational argument for retaining the monarchy.

Well I would prefer they eventually dissolve, but in defence of them people do say that they are neutral ambassadors who don't represent any political party or religion particularly so they don't have an agenda like a president would.
If we got rid of the monarchy, we'd have to have an elected President. Do we really want more elections? Really?

Latest