The Student Room Group

Suggestions for universities | UCAS application | BSc computer science

I am planning to apply for B.Sc. Computer Science, starting September 2020. I need help selecting 3 out of the following 6 universities/colleges. I am planning to stay in London.

a. University of West London
b. Brunel University London
c. City, University of London
d. Royal Holloway, University of London
e. Goldsmith, University of London
f. Birkbeck, University of London

Would appreciate if someone could rank these in terms of preference. My priority is good course structure and teaching, and university reputation.

Many thanks. Good day! :smile:
Hi, I suggest you look into these university’s by visiting their open days. Open days reveal information about teaching, course content / structure... it can be overwhelming to go and see them but it’s worth it to figure out which one is best for you, plus you have plenty of time to do this! Most of the time you are given a student from the course to show you around campus, here you can ask questions and hope for honest answers. (Most of the time they are honest maybe too honest) this will help you decide for sure!

From the list given, Royal Halloway has a higher reputation than the others, Brunel is a few university’s behind Royal Halloway at 41st in the overall ranking tables. Student satisfaction is high at both universities. I’m not too sure about the others though.

Take a look on this website: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/computer-science

The only relevant information you can take from this is it’s overall ranking and student satisfaction. But it will give you an idea Into each university listed whether you want reputation over satisfaction vice versa. But please do book some open days in the coming months (I believe most open days start during the summer but I think Brunel has one very soon ) you will get a feel for the uni, the teachers and they will go into detail about the course content and structure.

I Do suggest royal Halloway being in your top 3 though.
Original post by StudentLife19
Hi, I suggest you look into these university’s by visiting their open days. Open days reveal information about teaching, course content / structure... it can be overwhelming to go and see them but it’s worth it to figure out which one is best for you, plus you have plenty of time to do this! Most of the time you are given a student from the course to show you around campus, here you can ask questions and hope for honest answers. (Most of the time they are honest maybe too honest) this will help you decide for sure!

From the list given, Royal Halloway has a higher reputation than the others, Brunel is a few university’s behind Royal Halloway at 41st in the overall ranking tables. Student satisfaction is high at both universities. I’m not too sure about the others though.

Take a look on this website: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/computer-science

The only relevant information you can take from this is it’s overall ranking and student satisfaction. But it will give you an idea Into each university listed whether you want reputation over satisfaction vice versa. But please do book some open days in the coming months (I believe most open days start during the summer but I think Brunel has one very soon ) you will get a feel for the uni, the teachers and they will go into detail about the course content and structure.

I Do suggest royal Halloway being in your top 3 though.

Great! thanks for the help mate
Original post by Phebos_Belmont
I am planning to apply for B.Sc. Computer Science, starting September 2020. I need help selecting 3 out of the following 6 universities/colleges. I am planning to stay in London.

f. Birkbeck, University of London

Would appreciate if someone could rank these in terms of preference. My priority is good course structure and teaching, and university reputation.

Hi there 👋

Maybe I can help? It really depends on what you're looking for in a course, and I'd definitely recommend visiting each university first to see what suits you best. Our last undergraduate open day for the year has just passed, but we've got a campus tour coming up on Wednesday if you can make it? You can book here: www.gold.ac.uk/campus-tours/

I'm not sure what kind of structure you're looking for, but at Goldsmiths our BSc Computer Science focuses heavily on practical skills and learning by doing. You even have the chance to do an optional placement year which is a great opportunity to gain skills and experience for your future career. If you haven't already, I'd highly encourage you to have a look through the modules on our programme page and decide if the structure is what you're looking for! You can find the programme page here: www.gold.ac.uk/ug/bsc-computer-science/

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about the course or studying at Goldsmiths, I'm always happy to help 😊

-Miranda 🤩
Original post by Phebos_Belmont

f. Birkbeck, University of Londonwhat is right for you

In terms of reputation Royal Holloway is the best probably followed by Brunel then City or Goldsmiths. I think Birbeck tends to do night courses. However Royal Holloway is someway out of London near Heathrow and Windsor as is Brunel in Uxbridge. City and Goldsmiths are closer to the city. Royal Holloway is an a green leafy campus in a quiet location. You need to decide if that is what you want. Most universities offer campus tours and it might be worth taking them before deciding on which one is right for you.
Hi @Phebos_Belmont

It is great to hear that you are interested in studying at university.

I would highly recommend that you go and visit the universities on one of their open days. Most of the time you may go and visit a university which you thought was ideal but in actuality, it is not for you. By visiting the universities you will be able to know which university you feel good at and feel like you can succeed. Hopefully, that feeling will translate into getting a 2:1 or even better a 1st class degree.

Hope this helps :h:

Dom
Original post by swanseajack1
In terms of reputation Royal Holloway is the best probably followed by Brunel then City or Goldsmiths. I think Birbeck tends to do night courses. However Royal Holloway is someway out of London near Heathrow and Windsor as is Brunel in Uxbridge. City and Goldsmiths are closer to the city. Royal Holloway is an a green leafy campus in a quiet location. You need to decide if that is what you want. Most universities offer campus tours and it might be worth taking them before deciding on which one is right for you.

Hi swanseajack1,
Thanks a lot for your reply !
Will travelling to Royal Holloway be heavy on my pocket? i plan to put up someplace in West London (I have a relative living there so wish to save on the accommodation cost).
I am not sure as I dont live in London but obviously will be a cost and also you need to check how easy or hard the travel will be. Depends on where in West London and the same issue needs to be looked at with the other universities. It depends whether you are on a direct transport route from where you are living to each university as Uxbridge is North West and Egham South West.
Thank you everyone for your help :smile:
Does anybody have any opinion of University of West London?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending