The Student Room Group

Removing jobs from CV?

I work in my desired industry however I've got a few jobs on there that aren't that relevant, jobs I did over 10 years ago as a 16 year old kid. Should I remove them? in total there are 8 jobs listed (which includes my current one). 3 of them I feel like removing as it's just adding pages on my CV which is already a 4 page document.
Original post by ThuggerThugger
I work in my desired industry however I've got a few jobs on there that aren't that relevant, jobs I did over 10 years ago as a 16 year old kid. Should I remove them? in total there are 8 jobs listed (which includes my current one). 3 of them I feel like removing as it's just adding pages on my CV which is already a 4 page document.

CV (unless academic) should be 2 pages tops. It is a rule. You need to redraft. Nobody will read 4 pages.
as the other person said, it should only be 2 pages. Just keep the jobs that are relevant to the job your applying for.

Woah! Of course you drop them. Your CV is only ever supposed to be that specific slice of your life that is relevant to the job you are applying for. And it should never be more than 2 sides of A4 unless you are in academia or law and are required to give all publications/cases etc.
Original post by 999tigger
CV (unless academic) should be 2 pages tops. It is a rule. You need to redraft. Nobody will read 4 pages.

Clearly not true as I’ve had 8 jobs...
Original post by threeportdrift
Woah! Of course you drop them. Your CV is only ever supposed to be that specific slice of your life that is relevant to the job you are applying for. And it should never be more than 2 sides of A4 unless you are in academia or law and are required to give all publications/cases etc.

But I cant fit everything on two pages realistically I have to many qualifications and much experience. Its not been an issue atall in all honesty its more me thinking these jobs are not relevant.
I would suggest making them one line, dropping then would leave a gap.
If you had a load of temp jobs all in one period you could also combine them into one section.
An unexplained gap would raise questions.
But I cant fit everything on two pages realistically I have to many qualifications and much experience. Its not been an issue atall in all honesty its more me thinking these jobs are not relevant.

You say it's not a problem, are you getting to interview for every job you apply for then? No-one had too many qualifications and too much experience to fit a CV on two sides - you just aren't prioritising the content efficiently.

OK if its working for you then your choice. Will agree to disagree though, some prefer a one page CV.
You say it's not a problem, are you getting to interview for every job you apply for then? No-one had too many qualifications and too much experience to fit a CV on two sides - you just aren't prioritising the content efficiently.

Yes tbh and I’m not even joking, every job I apply I get a call back. It’s more me thinking I don’t really need it on there as I want to make it as short as possible.. is it a problem? The evidence says no.
Yes tbh and I’m not even joking, every job I apply I get a call back. It’s more me thinking I don’t really need it on there as I want to make it as short as possible.. is it a problem? The evidence says no.

OK, then you are very special and an outlier.

For anyone else reading, if you are applying for any professional job and you give more than a 2 pages CV, the majority of employers will mark you down as an idiot who can't prioritise and doesn't understand recruitment. The convention is one side of A4 until you've got at least 5 years experience in the same sector and 2 pages thereafter.
OK, then you are very special and an outlier.

For anyone else reading, if you are applying for any professional job and you give more than a 2 pages CV, the majority of employers will mark you down as an idiot who can't prioritise and doesn't understand recruitment. The convention is one side of A4 until you've got at least 5 years experience in the same sector and 2 pages thereafter.

Being patronising shows your maturity. As I’m touching 30 I’ve been around longer than a fresh uni grad hence why my cv will carry more weight. The work I’ve done in the industry is huge as in massive projects I could probably at most scrap a page. I applied for 5 jobs two weeks ago all 5 got back to me, so stop sprouting your words as gospel.
Look - if you have coming on ten years in an industry and are applying for jobs in that industry you should ask for advice from people who are involved directly with the type of roles you are looking for. Styles of CV vary more than people ever state on forums.

In general I'd drop all work you did before graduating unless they have some particular link with the job you are applying for.
Use your 'experience' section to highlight the jobs that are relevant. Have a small 'other experience' section beneath it with irrelevant jobs and dates.

It's what I do to hide seasonal work/coffee shop jobs.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending