The Student Room Group

How do you motivate yourself to do an all-nighter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Numb &amp
I want to cry, this is so #relatable.

I need to make notes on Psychology and then revise for LNAT.

Okay, sis I NEED to done one tonight. My plan is to work until 5 am, then stop (time to workout) and then start again at around 7 am. Do you want to do it together? I am logging out soon, good luck if you choose to do one. Make sure to not do too many, you don't want to be yawning in class. gl

Yeah we can do it together, probs not gonna last till 5am though
Original post by Ponizo
Ha, thanks. Wiseness took a lot of practice.)
No, it was located in my hometown, Moscow, Russia. But now I am applying for MA program in London University of Arts. So that's why I am here.)

What have changed, if you don't mind me asking?

And I apologize, but a have to go for now. So good night.) I will reply first thing in the morning. It's really nice talking to you.

Well, more like "Productive night" for you today.))

I edited my response so you probably didn't see it. I was going to ask you what you planned on doing with your degree, but you already answered it. haha

Agreed. I hate it, but it is true that wisdom comes with age. Oh, good luck with your application process!!!!!!!! Smash it!

I think I was relying on others to choose my career for me, with money being the main motivation. I was fooling myself into thinking that I would enjoy what I was considering at the time. Realized that it wasn't for me. I don't know, the idea of one day being able to help someone and make someone's life a little easier motivates me, always has. I actually cannot recall the exact moment when I decided I was going to do Law at uni.... genuinely cannot. It was last summer, though.

No problem at all, I am logging out too because need to get on with making notes. Thank you, it was nice speaking to you too :smile:
haha thank you, needed that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Isabelpayne200
Yeah we can do it together, probs not gonna last till 5am though

This made me laugh lmao so true. gl
This made me laugh lmao so true. gl

😂 shall we have half hourly updates to make sure we both are still alive after the vat of coffee consumed
Original post by Isabelpayne200
😂 shall we have half hourly updates to make sure we both are still alive after the vat of coffee consumed

Confession time: genuinely was thinking of grabbing a book and getting into bed to go to sleep. 😂

Alright, I suppose we could log back in on the following times:

12: 00
2:00
3:00
4:00 - this is my minimum. I have to stay up at least until this. Ok sis is going to go make tea. speak to you at midnight.

NGL, tempted to make a separate thread dedicated for all-nighters. Actually going to make it, will tag you on it. hahahahahhaha lol wtf am I doing, already feel so hysterical.
(edited 4 years ago)
Number ONE tip DO NOT SIT ON THE BED. You would literally fall asleep the next minute if you're like me.
2. Coffee is really helpful.
3. Don't stay on one topic for too long then you will get bored and sleepy.
4. what mostly motivates me is the fact that it is due in for tomorrow.
Confession time: genuinely was thinking of grabbing a book and getting into bed to go to sleep. 😂

Alright, I suppose we could log back in on the following times:

12: 00
2:00
3:00
4:00 - this is my minimum. I have to stay up at least until this. Ok sis is going to go make tea. speak to you at midnight.

NGL, tempted to make a separate thread dedicated for all-nighters. Actually going to make it, will tag you on it. hahahahahhaha lol wtf am I doing, already feel so hysterical.

Agreed. We can do it🤝 good luck and may the odds be ever in your favour
Reply 47
Original post by Numb & Dumb
I edited my response so you probably didn't see it. I was going to ask you what you planned on doing with your degree, but you already answered it. haha

Agreed. I hate it, but it is true that wisdom comes with age. Oh, good luck with your application process!!!!!!!! Smash it!

I think I was relying on others to choose my career for me, with money being the main motivation. I was fooling myself into thinking that I would enjoy what I was considering at the time. Realized that it wasn't for me. I don't know, the idea of one day being able to help someone and make someone's life a little easier motivates me, always has. I actually cannot recall the exact moment when I decided I was going to do Law at uni.... genuinely cannot. It was last summer, though.

No problem at all, I am logging out too because need to get on with making notes. Thank you, it was nice speaking to you too :smile:
haha thank you, needed that.

Haha, thanks a lot for your support!) I've submitted my portfolio last week and wait for their e-mail now. If they like it, I'll get an interview and then we will see, if I'll get a place.

That sounds great! I mean it is such great motivation for well anything. I hope your application and further study will go as smooth as possible.

How was your nigh this time? Did you manage to do everything you've planned?
Original post by Ponizo
Haha, thanks a lot for your support!) I've submitted my portfolio last week and wait for their e-mail now. If they like it, I'll get an interview and then we will see, if I'll get a place.

That sounds great! I mean it is such great motivation for well anything. I hope your application and further study will go as smooth as possible.

How was your nigh this time? Did you manage to do everything you've planned?

In my opinion, the period between having sent off the application and waiting to hear back is the most exciting, because you feel accomplished for having made the application but then there is also that bittersweet dread and anticipation of what the outcome of your efforts will be. I am certain you will get an interview!! Do keep me updated, if you don't mind. :smile: So what are your career aspirations? Do you want to make your own jewellery one day or...?

You are so kind! Thank you and I wish you the best and hope your portfolio impresses them immensely. What is most of your work? Is it more planning (drawings/paintings/sketches) or actual jewellery you have made?

I did what I hadn't planned. It was quite productive, more so than my days are. Annoyingly, I like working during the night but I am certain that if I make an effort, I can make my mornings productive as well. I don't know if you can relate, but in my experience so far, right after midnight when you are essentially tired and dead inside is when you do things you are hardcore avoiding during the day because there is no resistance, there is just "do it, **** it, just do it" lol
Reply 49
Original post by Numb & Dumb
In my opinion, the period between having sent off the application and waiting to hear back is the most exciting, because you feel accomplished for having made the application but then there is also that bittersweet dread and anticipation of what the outcome of your efforts will be. I am certain you will get an interview!! Do keep me updated, if you don't mind. :smile: So what are your career aspirations? Do you want to make your own jewellery one day or...?

You are so kind! Thank you and I wish you the best and hope your portfolio impresses them immensely. What is most of your work? Is it more planning (drawings/paintings/sketches) or actual jewellery you have made?

I did what I hadn't planned. It was quite productive, more so than my days are. Annoyingly, I like working during the night but I am certain that if I make an effort, I can make my mornings productive as well. I don't know if you can relate, but in my experience so far, right after midnight when you are essentially tired and dead inside is when you do things you are hardcore avoiding during the day because there is no resistance, there is just "do it, **** it, just do it" lol

I think you are absolutely right about that feeling after the submission. It can actually be pleasant if you don't let in nagging negative things like "Oooh, you definitely could've done this better and that cleaner". Which is exactly what I'm trying to do, hah.
I will tell you when I'll get any news, sure!
Well, at the moment I'm trying to collect as much working experience as possible, to see what I would like to do for the majority of my time. Like I thought that I would like to actually be bench jeweller, the person who is more like.. "doer"? More executor that designer. But that's not the best career option in Russia, plus, many companies ask for a huge working experience (7-10 years). It is understandable, no one wants to entrust a novice with precious materials. But still. It's very hard to find a job. I've ended up sending like, um, let me remember. From 45 to 55 applications for a free of pay internship, minor job, junior master or helper position for every jewellery company I could find near me. And I've got like 12 replies, 2 of them actually considering me as an option. Soo yeah.

At this point, I've realised how much time I spend to type this and how far I've stranded from your original question haha
Sorry about that.
But it made me think. Maybe, well if it is not uncomfortable for you in any way, we could actually talk? I mean, Skype, Whatsapp whatever is your preference. I would really love to do so, plus, it would be a great practise for me before a possible interview. I could show you my portfolio(it does not require an actual conversation, I can also share it here, but still) as well as answer all your questions more efficiently.
What do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending