The Student Room Group

[Official] Oxford Computer Science Applicants 2020

No one’s created a thread so I figured I might as well :P hello my fellow CS nerds, oh boy I cannot wait for the interviews to start going out

College:
Opinions on the MAT?:
Predicted Grades and Subjects:
Any hobbies?:
What are your methods to keep the stress of the application process from getting to you: (😂)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karikowska
No one’s created a thread so I figured I might as well :P hello my fellow CS nerds, oh boy I cannot wait for the interviews to start going out

College:
Opinions on the MAT?:
Predicted Grades and Subjects:
Any hobbies?:
What are your methods to keep the stress of the application process from getting to you: (😂)

College: Univ
Mat went quite bad over all
Computer Science A*, Maths A*, Further Maths A (got a c in Physics AS)
I do dance outside of school which is a nice release, and I'm attempting Cyber Discovery this year but will probably run out of time again with school work
I have absolutely no idea how to de-stress, I guess dance helps, but I have have a lot to stress about at the moment, including trying to get my computing project done.
WBU?
Reply 2
Original post by OceanCrystal
College: Univ
Mat went quite bad over all
Computer Science A*, Maths A*, Further Maths A (got a c in Physics AS)
I do dance outside of school which is a nice release, and I'm attempting Cyber Discovery this year but will probably run out of time again with school work
I have absolutely no idea how to de-stress, I guess dance helps, but I have have a lot to stress about at the moment, including trying to get my computing project done.
WBU?

For me it’s:

College: Worcester (the best college change my mind)
- MAT was bad. that’s all. it was awful ;-;
Subjects: Maths A*, Physics A*, Further Maths A
Hobbies: I love video games, particularly Nintendo although lately I’ve fallen in love with Hollow Knight!!!! And scrolling around Instagram for memes ofc :wink:
I have literally no methods to stop the stress please help

Wow dance sounds rlly cool!!!! That’s very nice that you have a nice creative outlet on the side :0 cool stuff
Omg Cyber Discovery, when I missed it last yr I promised myself I’d try it this year but this month has been such a load of work I completely forgot abt it ;-; best of luck with your participation tho!!! :smile:
Reply 3
College: BalliolOpinions on the MAT?: couldve went better x)Predicted Grades and Subjects: A* in maths, AAA in further maths, physics and chemistryAny hobbies?: gaming, sleeping, drawingWhat are your methods to keep the stress of the application process from getting to you: playing games for 10 hours straight
Original post by karikowska
For me it’s:

College: Worcester (the best college change my mind)
- MAT was bad. that’s all. it was awful ;-;
Subjects: Maths A*, Physics A*, Further Maths A
Hobbies: I love video games, particularly Nintendo although lately I’ve fallen in love with Hollow Knight!!!! And scrolling around Instagram for memes ofc :wink:
I have literally no methods to stop the stress please help

Wow dance sounds rlly cool!!!! That’s very nice that you have a nice creative outlet on the side :0 cool stuff
Omg Cyber Discovery, when I missed it last yr I promised myself I’d try it this year but this month has been such a load of work I completely forgot abt it ;-; best of luck with your participation tho!!! :smile:

Thanks,
To be fair, I was stuck between Worcester and Univ, I didn't commit until I sent off my UCAS.
I really like Nintendo too, I'm hoping to get the new Pokemon soon! And I really want to try Hollow Knight and a bunch of other game!!!

My guess to de-stress would be to try and do something you enjoy that's productive rather than watching stuff or something like that, like my brother likes to code random stuff and make stuff with wood. I guess what I'm trying to say is to do something you enjoy even if it has nothing to do with being academically productive.
Hope that makes sense/helps!!!
Reply 5
Hello, Has anyone received an interview invite for computer science at Oxford?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by CS20
Hello, Has anyone received an interview invite for computer science at Oxford?

nope, theyre probs gonna send them out on the last week of november as were the last ppl to get interviewed
Reply 7
Thank you Erdsa, and I wish everyone here the best of luck, I know it is not easy.
Reply 8
im 99% certain shortlisting decisions come out this week and im nervous reeeeeeeee
Original post by Erdsa
im 99% certain shortlisting decisions come out this week and im nervous reeeeeeeee

Literally same, I feel like I can't relax even though I know there is a good chance they will reject me
Reply 10
Original post by OceanCrystal
Literally same, I feel like I can't relax even though I know there is a good chance they will reject me

i would so get rejected xD but I just wanna know, i dont want to wait for so long for it
Original post by Erdsa
i would so get rejected xD but I just wanna know, i dont want to wait for so long for it

weebs out NaM
Subject: Computer Science and Philosophy
College: Hertford
Opinions on the MAT?: No clue
Predicted Grades and Subjects: Year 14 student (A* A* A* A) Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science
Any hobbies?: I build robots for fun

The shortlisting percentage is so low for CompSci :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Sporeray
Subject: Computer Science and Philosophy
College: Hertford
Opinions on the MAT?: No clue
Predicted Grades and Subjects: Year 14 student (A* A* A* A) Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science
Any hobbies?: I build robots for fun

The shortlisting percentage is so low for CompSci :frown:

woahhhhhh youre grades are amazing!!! year 14 student...?
Original post by Erdsa
woahhhhhh youre grades are amazing!!! year 14 student...?

I'm on a gap year atm. Anyway grades don't really matter as long as you are above the min requirement.
Reply 15
Original post by Sporeray
I'm on a gap year atm. Anyway grades don't really matter as long as you are above the min requirement.

im just on the grades rippppp
isnt it not preferred to take a gap year tho because oxbridge dont like it as much as maths is a skill that you can easily forget
Yeah I have heard that. I guess we will just have to wait and see lol. Anyway the main reason I reapplied was because I didn't want to do the subject I applied for last year.
What do you mean!?!?!? "maths is a skill you can easily forgot" hahahahaha! I am sorry but if you "forget maths" and apply for a maths related subject like computer science you are wasting time and money trying to get into oxbridge.
Reply 18
Original post by omegalul77777777
Wtf do you mean!?!?!? "maths is a skill you can easily forgot" hahahahaha! I am sorry but if you "forget maths" and apply for a maths related subject like computer science you are wasting time and money trying to get into oxbridge.

no no trust me, i asked that at the compsci department on their open day and they said that to me. they were like "unless youre doing something maths related during that gap year"
Reply 19
ofc therell probs be loads of other factors, coz if you get 100 on the MAT or something, theyll probs accept you regardless lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending