The Student Room Group

mum demands kids clothes have with ‘boys’ and ‘girls’ labels be scrapped

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pinkisk
I find your comment heterophobic.

You whinge about rigid structures and people "screeching" about you being "snowflakes" and SJWs because you hold different views....Yet your types resort to the same exact tactics. You "screech" at anyone who criticises your ideas ....labelling them with disparaging titles; "Nazis" and "Neckbeards" etc etc and you demand anyone and everyone that does not conform with your rigid views be marginalised, ostracised, censored and silenced and where you fail to do this you resort to good old fashioned violence. You are the very same things you claim to hate.

What exactly about what the quoted user said expressed a rigid view or demanded conformity? On the contrary, it did the opposite.
Original post by Pinkisk

"Heterophobia" (like "reverse racism"/"racism against white people" or "misandry") doesn't exist because unlike homophobia, transphobia, racism, sexism, misogyny etc, there is no structural power imbalance that is not in favour of cis, straight people.
Reply 42
Original post by artful_lounger
"Heterophobia" (like "reverse racism"/"racism against white people" or "misandry") doesn't exist because unlike homophobia, transphobia, racism, sexism, misogyny etc, there is no structural power imbalance that is not in favour of cis, straight people.

Except all the aforementioned manifestly do exist, to varying degrees around the world.
She made some good points like its nearly the 20s and clothing is still sexist quite a bit
Original post by tazarooni89
Sorry but that sounds several gigantic leaps in reasoning to me.

A t shirt does not tell you what you are or aren’t “allowed” to do.

Agreed. But it does play into the narritive of your identity and more importsntly, how others perceive you.

This clip shows my point perfectly
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05d9kmg

It is a shame these programmes are not available because in the experiment they filmed it showed the gender difference in 6 year-olds. When asked who are best, girls or boys, all but one girl instinctively said boys. How sad is that?

That said, the boys had no emotional outlet and feelings generally unleashed themselves as tantrums or physical violence.
(edited 4 years ago)
Sure, why not? A t-shirt is a t-shirt, and boys and girls can decide for themselves

Can they really though? If a boy wanted to wear a pink dress could he really realistically choose to wear one to school knowing how he would be treated.

Statistically there are and will have been gay professional footballers. Yet none have come out publically for obvious reasons.

To say we have choice in a world of social conformity is to miss the point completely. Yes, we do have choice but who chooses vilification and ridicule? In reality, boys must be blue and beige and girls must be pink. It is desperately sad.
There is no point or need in gender labelling clothes for ages 0 to when body shapes start developing.
Social conformity is where the root of the problem lies, and changing that is a long slow, and often difficult process because we are generally creatures of habit that don't like changes to what we've grown up to know and accept.
Original post by anarchism101
Are they reflecting it, or are they in fact encouraging it? Making it a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Well, in Victorian times when the male colour was pink and men expressed emotions more openly than then do now did other male attributes get suppressed? Was Britain less violent or more violent than it is now? Was its army a dominant force in the world, or was the country a feeble backwater?
"Heterophobia" (like "reverse racism"/"racism against white people" or "misandry") doesn't exist because unlike homophobia, transphobia, racism, sexism, misogyny etc, there is no structural power imbalance that is not in favour of cis, straight

Tell this nonsense to a white male student who gets expelled from a university by a female feminist in position of authority at that university, a university like mine where most positions of authority are occupied by female feminists/heterophobes/racists/misandrists like you, where the dean is a feminist, for being male and heterosexual...tell this to a person who gets physically assaulted or killed by one of your sorts for being heterosexual, white and male ...Tell this nonsense of yours to our government most of which is made up of feminists. You are not the victims. You are not a revolution against the status quo...YOU ARE AUTHORITY ....YOU ARE THE STATUS QUO.

Racism against whites heterophobia and misandry dont exist only in the minds of misandrists racists and heterophobes like you who benefit from this illogical argument that allows them to apply different standards to people based on their colour sex and sexuality and abuse others with impunity ...

feminism is about equality? You are a great example of the fallacy of this claim ...and also a great example of how dangerous feminism is to large portions of society.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. But it does play into the narritive of your identity and more importsntly, how others perceive you.

This clip shows my point perfectly
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05d9kmg

It is a shame these programmes are not available because in the experiment they filmed it showed the gender difference in 6 year-olds. When asked who are best, girls or boys, all but one girl instinctively said boys. How sad is that?

That said, the boys had no emotional outlet and feelings generally unleashed themselves as tantrums or physical violence.

All that may be true, but my fundamental point is this: What makes you so sure that slogans and gendered labels on t-shirts etc. are contributors to the behavioural differences between boys and girls, as opposed to just symptomatic of those differences?

If clothes shops all decided to sell t shirts with emotional quotes and crying emojis on them in the boys’ section, do you think that this is going to start encouraging boys all start choosing to cry in public in front of all their friends? If so, I don’t understand why you think people are so easily told what to do by a t shirt.
All that may be true, but my fundamental point is this: What makes you so sure that slogans and gendered labels on t-shirts etc. are contributors to the behavioural differences between boys and girls, as opposed to just symptomatic of those differences?

If clothes shops all decided to sell t shirts with emotional quotes and crying emojis on them in the boys’ section, do you think that this is going to start encouraging boys all start choosing to cry in public in front of all their friends? If so, I don’t understand why you think people are so easily told what to do by a t shirt.

A fair point. I think it is part of an eco system of interventions that shape our kids personas. Ungendering kids clothes is a start. Why do kids need to wear slogans at all?
Reply 51
Original post by Appirition
There is no point or need in gender labelling clothes for ages 0 to when body shapes start developing.
Social conformity is where the root of the problem lies, and changing that is a long slow, and often difficult process because we are generally creatures of habit that don't like changes to what we've grown up to know and accept.

Remind me why we should go thorugh the 'long slow and often difficult process' of change when there is absolutely no reason to? What isnt broken and all that.
Original post by Appirition
Social conformity is where the root of the problem lies, and changing that is a long slow

So, let's make sure we have got this right. You want to ensure there is no conformity to certain stereotypes ... by imposing a single stereotype decided by you?
Stupid. She's mad at the designer. Not the store. But she doesn't realise it. Her leftist brain has over swollen she can't think straight. Dumb psycho ***** that one.
Reply 54
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Stupid. She's mad at the designer. Not the store. But she doesn't realise it. Her leftist brain has over swollen she can't think straight. Dumb psycho ***** that one.

Slightly extreme description of her, no?
Original post by Napp
Slightly extreme description of her, no?

Spot on.
Original post by ByEeek
A fair point. I think it is part of an eco system of interventions that shape our kids personas. Ungendering kids clothes is a start. Why do kids need to wear slogans at all?

They don’t need to. But clothes retailers have obviously found that kids/parents have an interest in buying such clothes, so it’s profitable to sell them.

I don’t see why this is a problem that needs to be “fixed” somehow. So what if it fits a stereotype of girls wearing X and boys wearing Y? Nobody is forcing anyone to conform to it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Just my opinion
When my daughter's were little it really pissed me off that the boys clothes were lots of choices in browns, greens, blues, rust and autumnal colours, whereas the girls tended(not exclusively) to be pink, black, silver and sparkley.

So why didn't you buy the brown or green shirts for them?

You are such a stereotype, how pitiful. Have you ever had an original thought in your entire life or do you always regurgitate and parrot textbook intersectional nonsense?
I don’t see why this is a problem that needs to be “fixed” somehow. So what if it fits a stereotype of girls wearing X and boys wearing Y? Nobody is forcing anyone to conform to it.

Really? Why do women in the UK not go into STEM. Certainly not an issue with women because in China it is 50/50.

Ever heard of teenage girls with mental health issues over how they look on social media? Have you asked girls what they think of their looks? Does it not alarm you that kids as young as 6 describe themselves as ugly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending