The Student Room Group

GCSE revision

what time should I start revising I have mocks in Jan 2020 and I was planning to leave it all to the Christmas hols, doing vocab in term time. When did you start and how did you revise?

My subjects are:
Maths
Further Maths :s-smilie:
Bio
Chem
Phy
Eng
Latin
Spanish
Geography
History
Now start now. Put effort in but keep at least one day of your weekend ineffected.

Use bitesize for the Sciences it really helps, make sure you buy a folder for each science and note down EVERYTHING onto Paper, I prefer plain paper as you can write in anyway you want and alter text sizes for importance, when I finished my physics revision my folder was filled to the brim. The sciences take forever to revise for. Create revision cards for phy and math equations and listen to a few equations songs. For languages I don't really know. But for geography practice exam answers. and for English practice practice practice and look at mr buff and Mr sals on YouTube they really help.
Original post by Owenstampy
Now start now. Put effort in but keep at least one day of your weekend ineffected.

Use bitesize for the Sciences it really helps, make sure you buy a folder for each science and note down EVERYTHING onto Paper, I prefer plain paper as you can write in anyway you want and alter text sizes for importance, when I finished my physics revision my folder was filled to the brim. The sciences take forever to revise for. Create revision cards for phy and math equations and listen to a few equations songs. For languages I don't really know. But for geography practice exam answers. and for English practice practice practice and look at mr buff and Mr sals on YouTube they really help.

Out of curiosity, what grades did you achieve in the end?
Original post by Alicve
what time should I start revising I have mocks in Jan 2020 and I was planning to leave it all to the Christmas hols, doing vocab in term time. When did you start and how did you revise?

My subjects are:
Maths
Further Maths :s-smilie:
Bio
Chem
Phy
Eng
Latin
Spanish
Geography
History

I’m doing my mocks now, starting a couple of weeks before isn’t enough- start now while you still have the chance.
I'm assuming you're in year 11.
If you start revising now you'll definitely be ahead of most people - I don't know many people who revised much at all for mocks. I didn't really start revising until around a week before my real exams for GCSE and managed to do pretty well - I wouldn't recommend this, I got very lucky with what I wanted to come up.

For science, sites like SenecaLearning I found super useful and songs for the equations were a lifesaver.

For maths, pretty much the only revision you can do is past papers, which is super boring but it works.

For history, (didn't do geography), planning essays is super useful. Not necessarily writing them but the process of figuring out what you would say is useful. Also, finding areas you find super interesting in your history course, mine was Weimar Germany, and doing reading, watching videos and just general research around that topic can definitely set you apart from other and give you information others might not have.

For Spanish, (I did German but I'm assuming revision is similar for MFL) if you know someone who speaks Spanish well, just talking to them and having conversations can help not just your speaking, but also your reading and vocabulary.

English is a hard one to revise as it really depends on the course - but there's lots of videos on youtube analysing different texts or poems or whatever you need to revise.

Just remember that these are mocks, which really don't mean anything apart from to show you how you're doing. The most important thing is to not worry too much - GCSEs aren't the be all and end all of life, and mocks definitely aren't either.
Original post by teeras8
I’m currently in year 11 and my mocks are in January. I literally haven’t started revising mainly because no one really in my school has - ive seen all these chats where students are starting from yr9 and its a little worrying cuz im only gonna start around now.... is that okay or am i screwed
(I am quite smart but i just dont remember much at the moment..)
If anyone has any revision tips for french speaking and verbs, I would be very grateful also if anyone knows anything about computer science coding because no one i know seems to know what theyre doing for that...

Learn python. Its very similar to pesudo code that comes up in the exam
Original post by teeras8
I can help anyone with english, history or business since those are the ones I’m strong at and dont need much help wit

How did you revise for Eng& History. Im leaving business studies out for now bcse its just cw that wer doing rn
Aight, lemme GRACE ALL WITH MY INFINITE WISDOM.

I started revising about 2 weeks before exams. These were my final grades:

English Lang - 8
English Lit - 7
Maths - 8
Triple Science - 8,8,8
History - 8
Further Maths - A
Computer Science - 6
German - 5

You guys could start revising now like an hour a day or maybe even start at 30 minutes a day and work your way up there’s no reason you can’t get all 8s and 9s. For what I used to review - Seneca Learning, for literally everything. It covered stuff not in my revision guides which saved me when it came to exams (History, 2 questions in Islamic medicine which everyone else botched as we never covered it in class) and I think Biology was the other. That was my revision, I didn’t revise for maths because past papers bored me but now for A levels past paper exam questions are all I do, so I recommend past papers. Any other questions you guys can hmu.
Original post by teeras8
For History, I’m focusing on how to answer the type of qs they give. Like for example the 16 markers- im planning out my structure and seeing how i can get full marks according to the mark scheme. I usually make mindmaps and type up notes, its really important to research on source analysis too ( i have a 20 marker on that :-() so ive going to be doing a lottt of that

Thank youuuu!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending